undergrad transcript request

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by justwanttoteach, Apr 7, 2015.

1. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Apr 7, 2015

Just looking for some reassurance.

I was a terrible student in undergrad...like so bad I barely graduated and love bed by the model "d's get degrees". Horrible.

However, in graduate school,I proudly got a 3.9gpa while working on a masters and credential. I have been asked to submit transcripts for undergrad..so when I did this I also included my shinny high scores for graduate school..hoping to distract district from my years of being young and stupid...how much weight is given to undergrad scores?? Am I anxious for nothing??

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2015

Depends on the district. Your grad GPA should 'count more' but know that some administrators will use transcripts as screening elements. My supe even scrutinizes the school a candidate went to. He'll prefer a candidate from a 'better' school over a candidate who did well at an unknown college.
    During the interview process you could always address the grades issue. Good luck.

4. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Apr 7, 2015

How does ur supervisor feel about National university??

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 7, 2015

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 7, 2015

The name "National University" won't magically open doors for you, justwanttoteach, but it probably won't automatically close any, either.

As to transcripts, it will be up to you to ensure that it's clear that your graduate GPA isn't a fluke by making sure your resume and cover letters are polished, articulate, and professional. With that said, your GPA has gone in the right direction, so you might be worrying a little too much.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2015

I have no idea. But if a degree is exclusively online, some supes won't consider those as highly as degrees from more traditional 'brick and mortar' schools.

8. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Apr 7, 2015

Where I live, nobody seems too concerned with undergraduate majors or grades. They place much more emphasis on whether you are certified to teach and if you know what you are doing in the classroom. Also, I completed my masters degree through a state university's extension program and it was completely online. I have yet to meet a principal who has been bothered by that.

9. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Apr 7, 2015

I thought those were just a formality to make sure you did go and get the degree.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 7, 2015

Just out of curiosity, are you speaking of an undergrad GPA of under 2.5? That is the absolute lowest you could have in NJ to become certified, and even that would depend on when you graduated. I think you can only go down to a 2.5 if you graduated before 2004.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 8, 2015

I had to supply a copy of my transcript when I was ired, but they never opened the envelope, it just went into a file. They said it was to prove that I had graduated. (They had also gotten a copy of my degree.) I was never questioned about my gpa during any interview.

12. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Apr 8, 2015

I find it a little odd that there doesn't seem to be any importance on GPA. I worked my tail off for a good GPA. I think you're right, in NJ you have to have a minimum of a 2.5 to get certification.

13. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Apr 8, 2015

Yea that's what I'm thinking....I mean my graduated level classes and credential classes more then make up for undergrad...just wish i had listened to my parents when in undergrad....I will deny saying this if they confront me...but still you get the idea

14. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Apr 8, 2015

I had both high and low grades as an undergrad many years ago. The key words are many years ago. The importance of a G.P.A. depends on the district. For those of you who have good undergraduate G.P.A.'s, it will not go unnoticed. Mine might have cost me a job here or there but I'll never know. I've been working all along and understand what it is to fail as a student. It makes me a better teacher. Poor students are treated differently. I am glad that my youthful failings have not restricted my efforts to improve and be a teacher. I entered the teaching field many years after graduating from college.

What districts also look at are the types of classes you took as an undergrad. I've taught all grade levels and that has come up from time to time. When I taught older kids, the districts tended to look at what types of math and science classes I took.

I have graduate degrees. Two schools did not offer "grade points" for classes in those graduate programs. They just didn't. I also worked my tail off for those programs. The "graduate" degree is what matters in the long run, not the G.P.A., at least that what I have, not a number.

I won't even get into the reasons for my low grades in college. It did come up with one graduate school application - they didn't accept graduate degree program candidates with low G.P.A.'s. I wrote a letter of explanation with my application and was immediately accepted, no further questions asked.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 8, 2015

I would think it would be fine if your undergraduate GPA was less than stellar, especially if you have much better graduate grades. At that point, anyone who is paying attention can look at that as a sign of growth and maturity.