Unbelievable

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cMcD, Feb 27, 2008.

1. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Feb 27, 2008

3. Noggin

Noggin Rookie

Feb 27, 2008

Wow. :(

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 27, 2008

OMGosh!

5. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2008

Sad. I'm sure her principal and co-workers were unaware, which is unfortunate because they'll surely take quite a bit of heat for this.

6. sadundercover

sadundercover Companion

Feb 27, 2008

This is so sad. :(

7. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Feb 27, 2008

I just couldn't imagine calling one of my students stupid. It's such a harsh word. If a student makes a mistake on a math problem I call it a silly or careless mistake, but I'm sure there are teachers that say stupid to their students.

I also didn't like when she said that they were mean to her, so she can be mean to them. She's completely getting her emotions involved. There are better ways to say something along those lines. Maybe, "I don't appreciate your behavior, talking, etc. If you were in my situation I think you would feel the same."

8. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Feb 27, 2008

When I am super frusterated, I remind myself I am a PROFESSIONAL and must *always* act professionally no matter what. Students aren't going to change their behaviors for a teacher who treats them like dirt.

Yowza, that teacher needs help. I agree with the news reporter; it's time for her to stop teaching.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 27, 2008

I cannot imagine what would justify, in her mind, talking to kids that way. I wonder, though, what kind of base they have with it being a secret recording. Will they be able to use that to get rid of her?

10. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Feb 27, 2008

I could never understand why people like that stayed in the classroom. Why not get a job somewhere else? Geez, it's teachers like that, that make parents skeptical of the good ones.

11. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2008

:clap:

Absolutely. My unpolished reaction:

a) it's not that unbelievable
    b) if confronted, this teacher would almost certainly not be truthful (she may not even realize herself how bad she sounds)
    c) if they hadn't recorded her, she'd never have been caught
    d) most parents would not send a recording device to school

therefore, it is likely that this happens in other areas without being caught. How frequently, no one can really say.

Further,
    1) The news media is not releasing her name
    2) The union/contract is preventing her from being fired for now

Parents hear a lot of stories. It's hard to verify everything, and hard to know what effect anything will have. I would not be surprised, for instance, if she still has a job in the schools after this (though it may not be at the front of a classroom). ChristyF, I think you're absolutely right to be concerned about the ability to use the recording.

Sorry for the bluntness.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2008

Why does it have to be in Texas?

3Sons, we don't have a union so that's not the reason she still has a job. I'm sure that after the investigation, she'll be fired for this.

That's not to say that she can't get a job elsewhere. Again, a teacher acting unprofessional when there are tons of professional teachers needing a job. This is sad!

13. blue-eyed mom

blue-eyed mom Companion

Feb 27, 2008

I agree completely!!

14. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Feb 27, 2008

If you go to the new channels report and read the comments that are posted, you will be amazed at what the general public thinks of teachers..

15. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Feb 27, 2008

Unfortunately, this is probably true. I know of a teacher in a nearby district that was heard saying the same sort of things, except it was a high school teacher. Let's just say that "stupid" is the G-rated version of the names he called the students. What is he doing now? Member of the school board.

~Briana~

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2008

In Texas, it is legal to tape a conversation so long as one person to the conversation consents to the taping. The person doing the tape recording can be the consenting person. Thus, under Texas law, what they have done is perfectly legal.

17. Amers

Amers Cohort

Feb 27, 2008

When one of my brothers was in HS, a German teacher called him....well, let's just say it was a derogatory term for a homosexual. My brother, who is not gay, was suffering from severe depression at the time. He was actually hospitalized that same year. As if it's not bad enough what the teacher was saying, he talked about my brother to other classes! My mom called the school to complain and they did nothing to the teacher! To this day it baffles me. :mad:

I could never imagine calling a child "stupid" or even a "bad kid"! It's teachers like this that make our jobs even harder. :down:

18. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Feb 27, 2008

I would NEVER call a kid "stupid" to his face. Behind his back might be a different story, but NEVER where it could be heard by someone who might not understand the frustration a teacher faces daily by kids who are, well, not "stupid," per se, but. . . .you know.

I wouldn't call an adult "stupid" to his face, either, but we all know that many of them ARE.

19. lilabraham

lilabraham Rookie

Feb 27, 2008

I can't think that you have ANY expectation of privacy in your classroom. And yeah, why did the parents send a recorder in the first place??

20. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Feb 27, 2008

They sent the recorder because the teacher kept saying the girl was being unruly. The parents wanted to see what was actually going on because they didn't believe all the complaints about her behavior.

21. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2008

ABC news is reporting that there had been an earlier incident of this teacher slapping a child. She was given an one-day suspension.

I trust that most teachers aren't like this. The question is, though, how do I know when one is? Obviously this woman managed for years. If I sent a recording device with my son and it turned out there was nothing untoward I would be reviled by virtually every teacher I came into contact with thereafter.

(Though. . . I am curious, not about the teacher (who I like), but just the class generally. I wonder how much those recording devices cost. . .)

22. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Feb 27, 2008

I agree with all of the above - and can't believe a teacher would do that, etc. etc. etc. But, I have to admit, that part of my reaction to this is that sending a recording device into my classroom without my knowledge is not okay! It has a violating feeling to it... I also understand the power of things said out of context, and of sound editing... which I'm not saying are valid points in this particular story - but could be in others... I wonder how many digital recorders are going to be sent into classrooms in the next few days by parnets who saw this.... ?

23. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Feb 27, 2008

I am always worried about something being taking out of context. Sometimes students remember what they want to remember, only listen to part of what I say. Even if it was recorded it still could be misused. I don't think that was the case with this teacher. But it is still a scary thought.:eek:

24. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Feb 27, 2008

I am really surprised that this horrible behavior was first detected by a digital recorder.

I wonder why none of the parents heard anything from their kids. Usually 4 to 5 year olds talk, talk talk. Mine tell me all kinds of things that go on at home and I know they tell their parents all kinds of things that go on in class. (Both the parents and I realize there's a lot of imagination in these reports!)

Second, children play "school" at home all the time. I am surprised the parents have not heard this type of talk as the children mimic the teacher. When my girls were little, I knew which students got in trouble in the classroom and how the teacher disciplined by listening to the play.

Third, parents talk, talk talk. If one or two parents suspect a problem, they confer with each other by phone, while waiting outside, or at playdates.

25. blue-eyed mom

blue-eyed mom Companion

Feb 27, 2008

Very good points...hadn't thought about it like that!

26. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Feb 27, 2008

I would be horrified if I found out this was happening in my child's school.

I think all of the comments, not just the word "stupid" were pretty horrible. Did you notice that you could only hear her voice the whole time? How "mean" could the kids have been? I didn't hear a shuffle or a peep from any of them.

27. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2008

I blame NCLB for the stress that the teacher is under causing her to talk to students that way ................. naw but it was worth a try

28. Dawnathome

Dawnathome Rookie

Feb 28, 2008

But if that's the only to find out what's going on with your child?

As a parent I wouldn't really give a crap about how a teacher, coach, tutor, etc. feels about me sneaking a recording device into their class...I have a duty to protect my child that overrides that. If secret recording devices are a concern for schools then perhaps there are issues of oversight and transparency that need to be addressed?

29. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Feb 28, 2008

As a parent, I can understand the desire, and the duty to protect my child.

I'm thinking about the things that can be taken out of context...and the overall sense of mistrust that breeds.

30. Dawnathome

Dawnathome Rookie

Feb 28, 2008

Agreed. I sort of think the mistrust is already there though if a parent feels a secret recording is their only option or only way of finding out what's really going on. But for that secret recording, what was in place for a parent to know what happens in the classroom?

31. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2008

Not that I condone any of what the teacher said but I think we also need to walk in the teachers shoes a mile or two,
    is she a certified teacher for one thing ,
    what training does she have,
    is she a full time teacher,
    what support has the admin given,
    What type of students does she have,
    what is the class size,
    what kind of support have parents given

Is the teacher fixable?
    Is the school fixable?

I for one know of a few days in my 34 years if you took a tape of my class out of context you'd wonder about me too (heck I bet you wonder about me already)

32. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2008

No Dave, I don't wonder about you, well, I do wonder one thing, what did you do to make your grandaughter cry in your avatar picture? :lol:

I think the parents should have TALKED to the teacher first, volunteered for the class, one on one contact instead of taping them. There has to be more to this story, or she wouldn't have been teaching for so long.

Oh, and I am SICK and dang tired of the evil teacher news reports, have you guys noticed there as been at least one a week for months now?

33. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2008

She is laughing !:rolleyes: :whistle:

34. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 28, 2008

I had heard the story but didn't realize it was my school district. I actually interviewed at that school years ago - who knew?

I don't have a problem with the parents taping her. I bought one of those little recorders when I first started teaching because I had a conference with a parent who had a reputation for making accusations about teachers' attitudes toward her. She actually went to my principal and said I had cursed at her in the conference - let's just say she did some serious back-pedaling when I pulled out the tape, because of course I had done no such thing.

In today's day and age with cell phones that can video tape, Google Earth and even cameras in stop lights, I don't think anyone can expect privacy. And we have a duty when kids are involved to make sure there's no abuse going on. Think about all the horrible incidents caught on nanny cams that could have continued if a parent hadn't done something.

35. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2008

Your district??? Oh my. I am sure that things are probably very interesting at work right now. Its a shame that it was made public like that, I can't help but think that every teacher in that district is now questioned by people around america. :sorry: I find that very sad, one teacher shouldn't be able to have that kind of impact and yet that is the case.

I just hope that the situation isn't as bad as it was made out to be for all involved. It breaks my heard to see situations like this, either for the child harmed or the teacher falsely accused.

36. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2008

cmc I just noticed that you changed your user name!

37. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 29, 2008

This situation will be part of my faculty next week.

38. lilabraham

lilabraham Rookie

Mar 3, 2008

We have one way windows in our classrooms for the parents to observe as a fly on the wall. It is not uncommon to find out that someone has been behind the glass for 15 minutes or longer. I began to behave as though I was being watched and found that I LIKED it. If that family had heard encouragement, laughter, and singing on the tape, while it wouldn't have made the news, they would probably had a nice end of year gift :) Nah, prolly na. May one of us HAS been recorded we just passed the 'test'.