UNBELIEVABLE!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nstructor, Apr 15, 2018.

1. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2018

I understand that is your opinion. I do not agree with it.

2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 18, 2018

It depends. Context is important here. So if conditions are deplorable enough, then that warrants the employees to act. For example, if a school district pays its teachers far below the market value, then that is unacceptable. The teachers have rights and families to provide for and should be compensated fairly.

I’s funny how the administrators pretty much always seem to make a lot of money despite budget problems, but the teachers get the short end of the stick whenever their are budgetary woes.

3. greendream

greendream Cohort

Apr 18, 2018

This is a good point. Mandatory public schools have made things like two-parent incomes possible. Certain structures of society have bent themselves around the idea that kids are in school from 8 to 3 ten months a year.

4. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Apr 18, 2018

I'm from West Virginia, whose teachers successfully were on strike for 9 school days. Parents knew the strike was coming; the first two days were announced well in advance and warnings were put out that it could go longer. They had time to plan for the first two days and fair warning about the rest. It didn't kill anyone. My nieces, nephews, and cousins' kids were all just fine because their parents realized that the teachers were not baby-sitters and that they'd better make plans.

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2018

The only rant I see is the idea that child rearing has now been added to our job description.

Correction....

YOUR job description.

I stand with my opinion. :beatdeadhorse:

If you have children, it’s your responsibility to care and watch them ....24 hours a day. That means until age 18. It doesn’t stop from 9-3.

If I don’t show up, it’s not my fault your friends can’t go to work. Think about that next time there is a school closure. Planned or unplanned.

I guess if there’s an earthquake or blizzard, I better get to work. There’s kids that need watchin’.:helpme:

No, I don’t watch kids.

I am a teacher.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 18, 2018

I'm in Kentucky.

Our governor is an idiot. I'm surprised he can get any more feet in his mouth at this point.

Earlier he said that teachers had a thug mentality.

My DH and I went to Frankfort for one of the protests. Every school in Kentucky was out. Most were already in spring break. There were about a dozen districts who should have been on spring break, but we were having to use those days to make up days missed for snow and flu. We cancelled classes that day. My DH was already on spring break. Our district has been sending people to Frankfort regularly. We send a few from each building. Those of us who remain at school cover classes so no subs are needed.

Yesterday our education commissioner resigned before the board could fire him. Yet another blow to public education in Kentucky. We used to be at the forefront of education reform. Now we can't do anything right.

I'm glad I'm close to retirement, although I was seriously worried for awhile because he was messing with the pension system.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 18, 2018

No strike I've ever been on was last minute or unexpected. These things are organized for months and families are communicated with plenty.

SpecialPreskoo and Master Pre-K like this.
  8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2018

Nobody is sworn to a life of servitude to children.

Even Maria left the Von Trapp family.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2018

Because being a parent makes you responsible for watching the news, reading the paper or an ocassional Yahoo headline. You have kids, you need to plan for any and all situations.