Unbalanced class

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by glovie, Jul 23, 2007.

1. glovie

glovie Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with a class that has more than twice as many boys as girls? There will be 35 5th graders, and I am wondering about grouping. Will girls do fine as the only girl in a group, or should I have some all-boy groups and some with 2 boys and two girls?
    Do the boys act up more to compete for the girls' attention?
    Clearly, my dreams of teaching them ballroom dancing are dashed.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2007

I've had that situation for the past 2 years-lopsided many more boys than girls...Some girls do fine as the only girl and actually end up straightening out the boys a bit. You'll figure out your group- just make sure not to put the same groups together all the time- mix it up...

4. mariah

mariah Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Last year I had 18 students - 14 boys and 4 girls. The girls were wonderful and hung there. I tried to give them some opportunities to work together, at least two girls together from time to time. But I was lucky because they were very good about having to work with all boy groups the majority of the time.

5. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Jul 24, 2007

I had 16 boys and 5 girls. I found that some groups didn't have any girls in and it worked out.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

:eek: 35 is way too many for a classroom!!! Don't you have a limit on numbers? We can't go past 32 in our system but I'm lucky to be at a small school...so my class has only 22 on the roster for the fall. Last year I hade only 19. It really "rattles my cage" when I see how many students some teachers are expected to teach. It's unfair to the kids and to you!!:help:

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2007

We can't go past 18 in K-3 and 22 in 4-5. That's why there are usually more jobs in Fl every year than a lot of other states.

8. reverie

reverie Companion

Jul 24, 2007

In 5th grade, we have 13 boys and two girls. It's a good thing they're friends! The 5th and 6th graders are actually together so there are going to be 15 boys and 4 girls total.

9. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 25, 2007

I did a long term sub in a 6th grade class with 19 boys...and 6 girls. My guys were great. My girls were too busy hating each other to do any actual work (okay, kidding..sort of!) I had to split them up every chance I got to avoid a cat fight. The boys wanted me to put them together b/c the girls caused so much drama. But that was just the dynamic of that class. They're all different.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 25, 2007

I will have 14 boys and 6 girls this year. In the past I have tried to keep a girl in each group, but honestly that was to keep from having an all girl group. (An all girl group is often much worse than all boys.) I won't have than option this year so I will group them bgased on their behavior and monitor closely. If you can, talk to last year's teachers and maybe they can givey you a heads up on who works well together and who to keep apart.:hugs: Good luck!!

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 25, 2007

I've had lots of "lopsided" classes . . . one class of 18 girls and 2 boys. I always put the two boys together. Poor guys rarely got a word in with all those girls. I had another with 19 girls and 4 boys . . . still paired the boys up. I also had 22 boys with 4 girls. The girls were always together. They were 12th graders, and were way past that "giggly" issue that I sometimes get with my middle school classes.

Give me more boys ANY DAY.

Some girls work fine as the only girl in a group, and some like to have at least one more female in the mix. You'll just have to watch them and see how they do.

12. glovie

glovie Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Wow, I envy all those small classes. My student-teaching classes this past year had only 20 students, so I am going to be in uncharted territory dealing with 35. It is a Catholic school, and I am the only fifth grade teacher, so I guess it is a matter of space and money.

13. Trice2006

Trice2006 Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

My first year I had 18 boys and 6 girls. I was kind of nervous at first but it worked out in the end.

14. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I am amazed that the parents allow their children to be in a class so large at a Catholic school. I have friends who teach at a Catholic school, and once the classes got above 24 students, a new teacher was hired. People pay really good money for the kids to go to school there, and they are very passionate about them getting the best education possible.

15. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2007

This past year I had 15 boys and 5 girls. The girls all became great friends and stuck together. The boys wrestled alot and were very physical and active. When I think back on the year I realize that I learned a lot about boys this year and how their learning styles sometimes differ from girls.

16. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 27, 2007

This last year, I was also very lopsided--10 girls, 5 boys. My class was very hormonal (they were 4th graders!) so there were certain girls and boys I couldn't put together. At the same time, there were some girls who were archenemies, so I couldn't put them together either! It was the absolute most difficult class I have ever had to group--especially since they changed their minds all the time who they liked and who they didn't (you know how they are at that age). My advice would be to learn the personalities of the kids in your class and group accordingly--regardless of if they are a boy or girl.

17. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2007

Last year I had 11 and 11! How perfect is that?
    This year, I will have 13 boys and 8 girls. It was originally going to be 15 boys and 4 girls. The other 3 sections of first grade had 12 and 7, so I asked them if they could switch a couple kids around. I guess they did!! I just picked up my class list today.

18. bridge

bridge Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

All I can say is to keep them very, very busy (physically)!!!!!

19. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I am also starting in Catholic school--the only 2nd grade teacher, with 36:eek: . But you are lucky---I had 30 kinders and 33 4th graders during student teaching!!!

20. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I had 16 boys and 4 girls- kindergarten age. Yes, you must keep them very busy and I always kept 2 girls together when it came to seating arrangements, not altogether. They still need to interact with the boys. You will have to adapt your lessons to allow for more movement and activity. Good luck! :)

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2007

In the inner city schools in my area, the limit is 16 for K-3 and 36 for 4 and up. At the school I did an internship at, they go from 3 3rd grade classes to 1 4th grade class. And, that class was CRAZY!!
    35 is WAY too many.
    But, I had a lopsided class with student teaching. With-in a couple weeks, you will know how to form your groups. It's not so much a gender thing, but a compatible personality thing.

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2007

I had a class of 15 girls and 1 boy. Count your blessings you are boy heavy and not girl heavy. They were so catty and mean. That poor boy... lol.

23. glovie

glovie Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

darn

I am up to 36 now - they just added another boy. I wouldn't mind, except I will have to remake all the charts and other things that I had prepared with their name and number (alphabetic order), like sticks for calling on them randomly. Maybe I should just be lazy and make the new boy number 36, even though he will be out of alphabetic order. and the pocket chart I bought has only 35 slots. Oh, and I also have to go out and buy more supplies like individual chalkboards, since the last teacher had a class of only 32. That's my least favorite part, with the bad traffic around here.

24. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 4, 2007

I will be probably starting out with 28 Kinders. I do have an unbalanced class but not with boys/girls. With Special Ed and ELL. I will have at least 9 sp. ed. with 5-6 being severe (ASD/EBD/OHD) and 7-8 ELL (that was in May, so numbers may have gone up over the summer). Over 1/2 my class will be starting below grade level (according to the state):eek:
    The frustrating part is that at another school in the district they have 1 sp. ed. student between the two of them! :(
    Oh well, it will be a challenge this year and I somehow always end up with challenges and things turn out fine!:cool:

25. JustineCase

JustineCase Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I have 6 classes, and one is a sophomore language arts class with 31 boys and 5 girls currently registered to the class.

I have desks/seats enough for 31, and was lucky that only that many showed up the first few days of school.

Don't know what I'm going to do if everyone shows up on monday.

26. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2007

Can you get the janitor to bring up a few extra desks?