Unannounced observations

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jan 17, 2014

As a first year teacher, I'm supposed to have unannounced observations conducted by either the AP or P. The 1st semester has already gone by and it hasn't been done yet.... Does this mean anything? Or have they just not gotten to me yet? :help:

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 17, 2014

It could be anything. Just be ready for it every day.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2014

I think they will be there. They just haven´t been in yet to observe.

5. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jan 18, 2014

My department of 17 has yet to get our informals (unannounced). And they are due by April...4 for each person...

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2014

You might want to mention to your mentor teacher you haven't had an unannounced yet. It is possible they forgot it. Most likely they haven't gotten around to it yet.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 18, 2014

In every school I've worked in, administrators tend to do unannounced observations in bunches (ie: every teacher on eval gets an unannounced within about two weeks or so)

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2014

I'm sure they just haven't gotten to you yet. Don't worry about it.

9. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Jan 18, 2014

We don't have unannounced observations but my admin is...for lack of a better word lazy, so I've only had 1 of 3 so far.

And by one observation, I mean...she came in for maybe 15 minutes of a "required" 60ish minute observation.

If observations aren't done, it's not on you. It's on the admin. So I wouldn't worry about it.

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2014

Sometimes, Admin/the district say they will do things to support new teachers (give you a mentor, unannounced observations, regular feedback) and these things never materialize. I would not worry about it.

I only had the standard 2 observations (one per semester) during my first year even though it was a hot mess in my room.

11. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2014

I'm sorry, but helllllllllllll naw!:eek:

I wouldn't mention it to anyone unless I was sure I was Super teacher, A++ on the top of my game. Even then, you are asking for criticism that could come back to haunt a new teacher.

Also, when Admin fails to follow through on things like this, the Union can use it against Admin if need be ...

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2014

Is it bad that I would sort of want non-required observations? I'm doing a maternity leave position that'll eventually end up spanning about 6 months, but since I'm technically not on contract and am just a "sub", I don't think there's any official observations. However, I want that criticism, as I feel it's only fair for the students to have the best possible education, no matter if a six-month sub or a six-month contracted teacher is in the classroom.

Granted, I think it has a lot to do with the leadership. My principal is completely behind me, and would only try to support the process of my becoming better.

13. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jan 18, 2014

This sounds like the case here. A coworker (also a 1st year math teacher) told me that the P came in unannounced and observed him. That was maybe 2 weeks ago? So I guess my time is coming soon.

In the past, I've asked a veteran math teacher to observe my troublesome class and also my AP in the same class during an earlier period. I guess maybe with the AP having seen me in action might help me when either of the admins come in unexpectedly?

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2014

No, its not bad, especially as a new (?) teacher. If you trust your Admin, that's even better.

I'm tenured and know my Admin pretty well, but I don't trust them - even though I have no personal reason not to. I've seen them do some really petty stuff to get rid of really good new teachers or to get great tenured teachers transfered.

15. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2014

That makes sense. I've been lucky in where I've subbed at - most principals I know have been wonderful. But I can understand the potential other side -- for example, if my university supervisor from back when I did my student teaching was the principal, I'd be of a different mindset. There always seemed to be a personal bias towards his view of me. (And yes, a "new" uncontracted teacher/sub - almost 4 years subbing, and right now in the first month of about 5-6 months teaching for a maternity leave)

16. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jan 18, 2014

I don't think that's bad at all. This is my first year teaching, and I have only had one "official" observation. I need to have two more before March 31. The secretary called me last month asking if I wanted to schedule a Pre-Observation Conference with my P, and she was quite shocked when I told her that I wanted her to just drop in.

Personally, I feel that I want as much constructive feedback as possible, and the only way to do that is for me to be observed at the drop of a hat. I fear that I would put on a "dog and pony show" if it was preplanned. However, everyone is different.

17. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2014

In my district, Admin cannot do an official formal observation without first having a Pre-Observation conference even if the teacher doesn't want it. Now, when you're tenured, these conferences usually last about 3 seconds but they must happen so the paperwork can be signed and filed "before" the formal observation occurs.

If the POC does not happen, the Union can claim the formal observation is invalid and make it impossible for Admin to get rid of the teacher.

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 18, 2014

I had to request an evaluation my first year. Every first year teacher in my division is supposed to have observations done by Christmas. After spring break I asked my principal to come evaluate me since I was on a term and I wanted written proof I'd taught for the full year. He didn't come, but wrote up a reference for me.

In my 3rd year we got a new principal and she quickly realized I'd never been evaluated and came to see me.

It's not your responsibility to ensure your evaluations are done - technically that's your admin's job. But it is good feedback and it might be worth it to request one.