Unacceptable punishment???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ahsila, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 22, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wxPnJlJoFo

This is a video of a dashcam in an Oklahoma Highway Patrol car that was responding to a call when an issue arose with an ambulance that was transporting a patient. There are other videos on youtube that were recorded from a cell phone that show what happened when they were at the side of the ambulance.

OHP has suspended the patrolman for 5 days without pay. I think that's... shall we say "less than sufficient" punishment. What do you think?

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2009

Um. Wow. Well... on the one hand, if the ambulance didn't have its sirens or lights on, then it *should* have pulled over to the side of the road. Then again, once the trooper understood that there was a patient enroute to the hospital, he should have said, "Fine. I'll follow you and then we're going over the rules of the road."

I have quite a few friends who are troopers and it's a tough job... but someone with that amount of anger & lack of judgment doesn't need to be out on the roads. No, I think he should be off road duty.

4. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 22, 2009

What gets me is that you can hear the EMT tell the trooper, "Fine, we'll go to the hospital and you can arrest me there" and the trooper still blows up. I have a really good friend who is a trooper in Kansas and he said that legally the trooper should be charged with a misdemeanor because he is interfering with an EMT providing services to a patient and that's illegal. I totally agree chebrutta - if he has a good service record I'd hate for him to lose his job, but he's a liability on the road.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2009

I'm am disgusted.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2009

ahsila - I was watching that going, "What if that were my mom on her way to the hospital?" Thee were a couple of times she needed to be transported in a non-emergency situation. She would have NO idea of what was going on, sitting there on the side of the road listening to some *sshole cop throwing his weight around, not able to communicate with anyone... and when DF went, he went w/out lights and sirens, but had just had convulsions. If I had been following them and found them on the side of the road, arguing with a cop, I would have lost it and punched the guy.

Grrrrr. The more I think about it, the angrier I get.

7. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 22, 2009

That's exactly how I felt. Something that was on the local news was that the ambulance had radioed that it was an emergency situation, but the patient's condition could be aggravated by the sirens so they ran without it. I did the same thing though - I got irritated and kept thinking about it, so I had to post it here so other people could tell me my "armchair" anger was justified!

8. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

A brieft excerpt of that news story just came across on the TV. My husband said the ambulance driver flipped off the policeman. Is that true or do I have it backwards? Either way, it doesn't give the policeman any right to touch somebody and get out of control. He definitely needs some anger management control before he ever stood a chance of getting his job back. Should he get it back? Probably not.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 23, 2009

Unbelievable! Basically he was pulled over for making a hand gesture-if that really happened. And the paramedic that was arrested didn't do anything except try to get his patient on the road to the hospital. I'm glad people had the cell phone videos because you can see close up the cop was choking him although I kept telling them to move out of the way of the car's camera. The funny thing is the Oklahoma Police released the video to back up the officer.

10. Kase

Kase Companion

Jul 23, 2009

All i can say is "RAWWWWWWWR" This makes me so mad. Some people need to control their temper and think rationally. Do the argument after you get that person where they need to go. GRRRRRRRR

11. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

That just really *isses me off!!! What a moron! what if she had died?!

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2009

I'm still angry. Beyond angry, really.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2009

Youtube hasn't been working on my computer lately. What happened in the video?

14. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

I'd like to know what happened in the video too. Someone mind describing?

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2009

Lots of reading, but...

(Taken from http://boingboing.net/2009/06/15/oklahoma-highway-pat.html and http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0509/626636.html)

An ambulance, with Maurice White acting as supervisor and paramedic, is taking an elderly woman, who had collapsed, to the hospital for treatment. Her worried family follows.
    Trooper Daniel Martin, who was responding to a stolen car report, came up behind the ambulance on a two-lane country road. In Oklahoma, those shoulders are notoriously tricky for even a car to pull off onto. But there's another factor involved.

As the dash cam clearly shows, a car is on the right-hand shoulder, partially obstructing the highway. Just as the highway patrol pulls up behind the ambulance, the medical unit must swing out to avoid colliding with the parked car.

Let me repeat that, because it's important: if the ambulance's driver, Paul Franks, had immediately pulled over when the racing trooper came up behind him, he would have created an accident. It is impossible to safely pull over while slamming into another vehicle.

After the ambulance gets past the parked vehicle, Franks slows and safely pulls over for the trooper. As Martin zooms by--at a speed that I would call excessive for just a stolen car report--he uses the radio to reprimand the ambulance for not pulling over.

Later in the tape, it's shown that the sheriff's department is already on scene at the stolen car incident. Martin is released from any need to be at the scene.

Then he whips around, guns his car, and goes out hunting the ambulance. When he catches up with the ambulance, what happens next is a textbook case for bad judgment and abuse of power.

----

An Emergency Medical Technician who was involved in a scuffle with an Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper is speaking out about the incident.

Maurice White, Jr. is a critical care paramedic with the Creek Nation EMS. He was nearly arrested after the confrontation, which was captured by the cell phone of Kenyada Davis.

Paul Franks was the driver of the ambulance, which was transporting a patient to a hospital in Prague. 8 Talkback:
    Click Here to Comment on this Story

White says he saw the trooper approaching from behind at a high rate of speed with lights activated, but he did not hear a siren. He says Franks had a car in front of him that his attention was focused on and hadn't seen the trooper before he was within a few feet of the ambulance.

"I called out to my partner and told him to pull to the side because there was a State Trooper behind us," White says.

White says as the trooper passed them, he made radio contact, telling Franks "you should consider checking your rearview mirrors".

White says a few blocks after this incident, another trooper entered the road at a high rate of speed, cutting in front of a car driven by a family member of the patient. White says he then saw another trooper approaching from the rear.

"As my partner was pulling onto the shoulder, the cruiser came alongside our unit and gestured for my driver to pull over," White says. "When the officer came to a complete stop behind the ambulance, I noticed a woman in the front seat. Based on the officer's erratic driving behavior, I thought that the woman in the front seat of the cruiser was in need of immediate medical attention; hence I exited the rear of the ambulance in order to assess the situation."

White says the officer was in a rage when he approached them and yelled "get your a-- back here! I am giving you a ticket for failure to yield." White says he told the trooper they had a patient in the ambulance and that they were on their way to the hospital.

"He ignored my statement, became even more belligerent, and demanded my partner come to his patrol car so he could write him a ticket," White says. "I calmly told the officer that we were transporting a patient and we could continue this at the hospital."

White says the trooper then approached him and shouted "you are under arrest for obstructing a police officer" and grabbed his arm to handcuff him. A brief struggle followed, at which point the trooper grabbed White by the throat. The cell phone captured this incident on video.

White says the trooper later told him they could continue on to the hospital, but that he would be under arrest once they got there. White was never arrested, but says troopers told him he should be prepared to turn himself in if a warrant was issued.

---

You can read the entire statement here: http://static.ktul.com/documents/emtstatement_0509.pdf

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2009

Thanks.