Umm and there are still 4 days till Friday (Payday!)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by chicagoturtle, Jun 23, 2008.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 23, 2008

Hey all-

First of all I am so glad that my paycheck is divided up over the whole year. I know a lot of people don't like that but I sure do.

This is the first summer I haven't really had much to do in a long time. Every summer until last I taught Summer School. Last year I was really sick, in school AND looking for a job. It was a rough summer and I spent a good deal of it in bed watching TV, waiting for doctors to call and waiting for principals to call- and a lot of time crying and worrying.

So now I almost taught Summer school- but then didn't (then they called me today and asked me to- but I can't now I made plans to go out of town when they didn't seem to need me. Anywhoo.

I'm in a class- but instead of it meeting 9 - 10 times it only meets six times with research on our own.

The point is that I've been really enjoying myself and running a lot (literally) and enjoying summer in Chicago. Going to farmers markets and restaurants and Target. I've also been loosing weight so I've been shopping- but I'm not at my goal etc. So I shouldn't be splurging.

There is plenty to do for free in Chicago- so why I keep spending money I don't know. I'm going on three trips in the next few months. 2 are with family and 1 is with friends. So I sure shouldn't be spending money.

Payday Friday please come soon.

I've never been a great budgeter-

Anyone else struggling with this...?

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2008

I'm broke... I hear ya...

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2008

I totally know what you are saying. I am one of those people who only have 22 pay periods but will be changing it next year. I just got my last paycheck last friday and now am getting married this Sunday and there are soooooo many expenses. eeeeek. I don't have any advice for ya, just empathy...

5. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jun 23, 2008

I've been pinching pennies since I got married almost 6 years ago. My husband was in grad school and I could only find subbing work. Then after two years of that he graduated, we moved in with family, he started a crappy-paying job and I subbed again. After almost two years of that, he got laid off, decided to buy his own business and be his own boss, and still I can't find full time work. So, many loans later, his business is going great and I'm still subbing. We are looking into buying a house soon, so things are on the upswing...if I could only find that job. I'm sick of fretting over the checkbook.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2008

I'm broke and don't see a paycheck on the horizon for me.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2008

Congratulations... My advice..... save that wedding gift money:D

8. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 23, 2008

Lol- that reminds me when I had my Bat Mitzvah- my ultra controlling mother stood over my shoulder while I wrote every thank you note and on all the cards she made me write "Thank you for the money - I am saving it for a rainy day." (She later stole the money and gambled it - now I can look back on the situation and laugh and I don't talk to her anymore- but MissFrizzle- your comment made me think about that. )

Wow I think I should either go to bed or do some reading for my class. It's hard even as a grown up to be told hey- go on your own and do research for the next 3 weeks and then write a paper. Even though I'm interested in the topic the freedom of unstructured time has gotten the best of me.

All I can think is I should go have a bagel and lox and cup of joe in the morning and do some research (umm there comes that money spending again!).

9. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2008

Oh definitely. Those mortgage payments don't stop that's for sure. :)

10. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 23, 2008

I always seem to go broke during the summer months. I keep getting paid all summer, but I get bored, and then I go shopping, or I go out to eat, etc. I have much more free time to spend the money ... ugh.

11. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 23, 2008

Me! We always cut it close but this month hubby had surgery so he couldn't work. Be glad it's only 4 days for you until you get paid. It's a week for me.

12. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 24, 2008

Yes...it's hard during the summer. I find myself coming up with all these new great ideas for my classroom. This year will be different for me though. I moved about 20 minutes outside of town and with the prices of gas....I refuse to go ANYWHERE. I need to return a book to the library because it's overdue, but I'm waiting until I meet a friend in a few days for my splurge for lunch. It's not worth wasting the gas! How sad is it when we start planning our trips based on mileage so we can cut spending?

Although we don't get paid much, I do love having summers off...even if I am bored a few days here and there.

13. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 24, 2008

See the thing is I've been running or taking public transportation so the gas stuff hasn't directly affected me. Knock on wood they haven't raised our CTA monthly passes yet.

So like today I ran to Target- was supposed to get one thing- a running skirt on sale- (I want to try one, but not pay big bucks till I decide if I like it.) but I walked out with 71 bucks worth of merchandise (well tax aside- about 65). Lucky Charms were on sale- and I've been on a lucky charms kick, I had just finished running- so I needed a bottle of water, the running skirt- tried some running socks, a new charger for my IPOD, oh and I remembered I needed face soap and I forgot that last time. Plus some lotion. Somehow this turned out to be like 70 bucks.

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2008

A song for you:

Love, exciting and new
    Come Aboard. We're expecting you.
    Love, life's sweetest reward.
    Let it flow, it floats back to you......​

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 24, 2008

I shop at grocery outlet during the summer, and spend lots of time sitting around the park or doing other free things (farmer's markets, free concerts, etc.) I also am NOT driving if I don't have to!

16. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2008

I, too, get paid year round, and the summer paycheck is actually slightly bigger than the "winter" one because they only take out for insurance, union dues, etc. 20 pays a year. So, the other 6, which all fall during the summer, are about $65 bigger. Still, with entertainment for myself and my kiddos, lunch out, etc, I do spend a LOT more in the summer, and it's frustrating.
    Kim

17. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2008

I only get paid once a month (which sucks!!!), and it always falls around the 5th. I swear the 5th is never going to get here!!!!!

Our 2 summer checks are also larger (due to no insurance payments or dues payments).

18. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jun 24, 2008

Same here!

We got our summer paychecks in 4 installments during the last week of school. Now I have to have the willpower to "pay myself" every two weeks from my savings account.

19. jasrasmom

jasrasmom Rookie

Jun 24, 2008

Same here....I get paid tomorrow, and it can't come fast enough!!!

20. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2008

Aweee thanks so much!!!! We are so excited, but like I said trying to keep the checkbook in tact if possible. :)

21. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 24, 2008

My checks are always the same amount and I get paid the last working day of each month including the summers. I actually like it (most of the time) because I pay all my bills and take care of everything else at the beginning of the month so that I don't have to worry about forgetting anything.

22. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 24, 2008

That is what I do as well. It is nice to have all the bills paid but it is also a reminder that you have no way to get more money. For example, my husband can just pick up an extra shift at work and make big bucks, I have the same amount no matter what. I am getting bored though. We'be been out of school 2.5 weeks. One of those I spent at a math conference. I have already been to the library, Target, grocery shopping, my favorite dollar stores, etc... I have a few lunches planned but I am looking for something to do (anything but clean my house, not ready for that yet :p).

23. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 24, 2008

I get paid the same as Andrea and Tasha. It's great to have all the bills paid early in the month. Most of the time I manage to have enough to get through to the end of the month. It does take managing though and sometimes telling myself "no you are not going to get that you don't really need it". It's really hard though, especially when you see that really cool item and think wow I could use that in my classroom. I have to though especially when I have just me to depend on. Otherwise, the 4 cats and guinea pig would have to fend for themselves. Don't think they would be able to do too well on their own. They are used to having their every need catered to. My boyfriend and I did go out of town for a few days and we are going out of town again for the weekend of the 4th.

24. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 2, 2008

I am also paid once a month and the last working day of each month-which is good for all the bills. We don't have a year round option, only 10-month. So technically I'm not paid at all in June or July (and not til August 29th! :( ). But I set up a summer cash account with my bank. All I could afford was for them to take out $300 from my check each month and put into an account. Half drops in at the end of June and then the end of July. Normally I could make it on the $1500, but I am getting married in less than 3 weeks and still paying stuff off-so that money already had someone else's name on it before it was in my account!

25. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 2, 2008

I get paid once a month as well... I was just paid. BUT, I had all these school things DUE on the 30th. If I didn't use them, I'd lose them. I will be reimbursed but it was a lot of money to go out at once:

400 health savings account for medical stuff (got new glasses)
    200 to buy new dictionaries - raised at auction
    250 for summer school supplies- this wasn't due the 30th but I had to have the stuff before it starts and it's over before my next paycheck!

Sometimes it takes a few weeks for reimbursing, but I am hoping it comes soon!

on top of that I just paid 175 for my car which was at the shop
    my rent was paid and bills were paid

THAT'S WHY I AM NOT GOING TO TARGET AND CHECKING OUT THE DOLLAR SECTION FOR TEACHER STUFF!!!!!!!!

26. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 2, 2008

I get paid this Thursday because Friday is a holiday. I have been broke for about a week. I have 20 dollars in my account. DF has .10. He gets paid once a month. I have 1,000 on a credit card which I never have. I need to find a summer job!
    I haven't really been spending on stuff that I want it's more of a needs base.
    passport 200
    car insurance 400
    Food for b-day party 200

Ok I have no idea what else I spent money on. I bought one pair of shorts. THey were 12 bucks.

27. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 2, 2008

My husband came home from work last night (he's not a teacher) & said that he wasn't getting paid on Friday. I asked him why. Because Friday is a holiday & the direct deposit won't be going through until Monday! Those people who get a paper check will get paid on Thursday. Paper check, they still have those?

I guess I just assumed that it was required that if your pay day fell on a weekend or a holiday the direct deposit is the business day prior. Maybe because he gets paid every 2 weeks. I don't know, but it's a bummer!

28. lovemyjob

lovemyjob Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

Sounds like I'm one of the few that doesn't get paid at all in the summer:( I have money taken out each pay to put in the credit union so that I can pull from it in the summer. I usually do at least one mortagae payment from there and a few credit card bills because I seem to use them more often in summer with less cash flow.

29. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

My roomie and I were just talking about this the other day. They should make all college almost-grads take a course in budgeting, time and money mgt, investing, house buying/renting... general adult things that are NOT ever taught!!! Common things that everyone needs to know... a what to do when class... or even make it optional and in the summer.

Goodness knows I need to too.

30. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 2, 2008

I think they used to teach that stuff in homec in high school- but I sure never had that- so I'm not sure if that is around anymore. And whenever I ask my dad to learn things like that- he treats me like I'm an idiot because I'm a teacher and should be able to figure that stuff out.

31. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2008

I too have been struggling with the urge to splurge! The paychecks burn much slower during the schol year when we're at work all day!!

BTW...has anyone checked out the Dollar Tree stores? They already have great teacher items that you KNOW won't be left by the time late August rolls round.

32. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

I get paid once a month too, on the last work day of the month and I do get paid over the summer (thank goodness!). I just got my check for the month of July on Monday and the month of June arrived today... Not sure what happend with the secretaries or the mail that made July's check get here first, but I was shocked that I got both of them at the same time. Anybody else have something like this happen? At first I was excited...ooohhh, more money for my classroom supply addictions, but now I'm scared! I've been spending lots of money on school stuff, but it's been okay because I always pay my bills first and just spend whatever I have left until the end of the month (somehow I always make it to the end of the month), but if I put both checks in now I might not be able to control myself and save that second check long enough to last me through the end of August (when I'll get my first check from this school year). I think I'm just going to leave the check in the envelope on the fridge until the end of July(when I thought I'd be getting the check)...where it's safe...and staring at me all day long!

33. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

I've been to the Dollar Tree about 8 times since school has been out. I WON'T miss out on those deals!:D