Ultrasound-Guided Breast Biopsy

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by girlblue16, May 20, 2009.

1. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

May 20, 2009

also known as a Core Needle Biopsy.

Anyone ever had this procedure done? Any feedback would be most appreciated.

I had my first mammogram (at 35) about a month ago. Was then told to get an ultrasound, and also told to see a breast surgeon. It's 99.5% not cancer but still scary. It's called Fibradonema (3 fibroid tumors in my breasts).

So I'm having this done a week after school gets out bc I think I might be in a little pain the next day, and a bra won't feel too good. The anticipation is making me nauseaus and depressed and just....I don't know. A whirlwind of emotions. It's apparently a very simple procedure done within a half hour. I just don't like 'procedures' or needles :eek: (who does though!?!?!).

If you have any positive vibes, send them my way....

Thanks!

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 20, 2009

Don't despair, be thankful it 99.5% not cancer. I've had a fibrous tumor removed and biopsied and went to school the next day. It wasn't too bad, I've had way worse procedures/surgeries.

Hang in there, hugs!!!

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 20, 2009

Don't worry! Are you going to a reputable breast clinic? Call your referring doctor and tell him/her about your anxiety - doc might prescribe something simple to dissipate your anxiety for the next few days. It is very reasonable to ask! I used to take valium before going to the dentist!

I have had the mammogram and the ultrasound. I have had a "fatty lump" removed from the upper chest, not technically breast tissue. I asked for medication to relieve anxiety - usually you take a couple before bed, then one in the morning, and one right before the procedure. Ask if you can take your ipod and listen to music.

These are people who do this type of thing every single day - they know what they are doing. The procedure won't hurt, you are unlikely to have cancer, and YEAH! you are taking care of your body. You are a strong woman!

Keep telling yourself positive things ok? I am doing the right thing. I am a strong woman. I take care of myself. I will have great doctors. The procedure is simple and will not hurt. I can encourage other women to take care of themselves!
    Lte us know how it goes and please, don't hesitate to talk with the doctor about this anxiety - there is no good reason for you to "tough it out" when a little medication for a short period of time can help you. Hugs!

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 20, 2009

I don't do needles, etc., and had this done. I was so scared. But I was ashamed how scared I was, as the procedure was so easy, and the support from the medical team was so great. Just tell them you are really nervous, and they will be extra helpful

6. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 20, 2009

You will be fine!! I had this done in November. They use the ultra sound to show the needle person where to go. Then you feel a snap like a rubberband a few times and it's over. They put some pressure on it and a band aid and you are good to go. Oh and they give you an ice pack for your bra. It's lovely. You will want to wear a bra (go find a GREAT sports bra NOW!) because any movement causes pain/aching. I actually found this procedure to be more uncomfortable than the procedure to remove the lump because the needle pokes around more and I had more bruising. Sorry...I don't mean to scare you. It was really easy and as long as you don't lift stuff or go for a run you will be fine right after.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 20, 2009

My thoughts are with you.

I'm getting good at biopsys. They pinch just a bit, no more than a vaccination or a blood test. And some ice afterwards will help.

As far as sports bras go, I found some great ones at Sears. They zip up the front and have enough room for my still-a-work-in-progress shape.

Oh, and to add to what others have implied: I've had a good cry for each new doctor I've met since this time last year. Not because of bad news or pain, but because the implications are so incredibly frightening. They're all OK with the tears; it's an occupational hazard. Some people drink, others punch walls, I cry. Don't feel silly if you're a cryer like me.

For what it's worth, it took me until last night to hear from last Thursday's biopsy. ("No evidence of cancer", thank God!) So don't expect to leave there knowing a whole lot more than when you got there. They'll call your doctor and you'll hear from him a week or so after the biopsy.

Please let us know how it turns out. You'll be in our prayers.

8. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

May 20, 2009

I do have anti-anxiety pills prescribed to me. I sometimes take up to 3 a day (very seldomly though and most often never)considering what's going on. They help me sleep (sometimes, not lately), calm my stomach, etc. So, I'm able to go to work, drive, function, everything on them. I asked the dr. if I could take them before the procedure and they won't let me if I don't have someone driving me and picking me up.

So, the issue is, I HATE to ask favors of people, and I'm not originally from CO so I don't have family here (and my family back home is small but I could ALWAYS ask my mom to come with me) and I just don't want to ask anyone, though I have one person who would do it in a heartbeat. I'm trying to push through, be an adult, and do it sans pills. If at the last moment I feel I can't, I suppose I'll ask my friend.

So, here's to growing up and getting older. IT SUCKS!!!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 20, 2009

Ask your friend.

Again, at least in my own case, it's not the actual biopsy. I hate needles as much as the next big girl, but they're not the stuff that keeps you up at night.

It's the word "biopsy" and the implications of it.

You'll leave the biopsy a little sore, but not in any real pain. But in my own case at least, for that first biopsy, it was good to have a friend driving. I was upset and afraid, and my mind would not have been on the road.

Anyone, ANYONE, will be only too happy to drop what they're doing and take you for a biopsy. So set it up ahead of time, and cross one worry off your list.

10. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

May 20, 2009

Oh my god am I a cryer. I hate it. I guess it's better than punching walls, maybe. Or drinking, again, maybe. ;) But, it makes me feel like such a complete child.

Thank you for your prayers :hugs:.

And I'll keep you posted. The appointment is June 9th....

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 20, 2009

I know exactly what you mean about the crying. I've cried for the biopsy tech, the surgeon, the plastic surgeon, the radiologist, the endocrinologist, and probably a doctor or two I've forgotten to mention.

For what it's worth:

I had something totally different from you: a phyllodes tumor. (So you will NOT be following down the road I've been on.) They're rare; my oncologist has only seen 3, ever. They're big and they grow for no apparent reason. As a result, I had a mastectomy on my right side last September.

I want you to know: nothing at ALL has hurt. Beyond the twinges of the biopsy, I have had absotely no pain. Not from the biopsy, the mastectomy, the radiation, the plastic surgery-- nothing. I've had cramps that hurt more than anything associated with this whole thing.

So all my tears have been out of fear, not out of pain. As real as the fear of the future is, know that you don't have to worry about any of this hurting. If my experience is any guide, nothing will hurt more than the twinge of novacaine at the dentist.

Please let me know how I can help you. Feel free to PM me if you want; I'll be happy to answer any questions I can.