(~) Ultimate Prize Bank (~)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by h2omane, Jul 20, 2007.

1. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

Hi All,

cruising around the site and can't really find a list of prizes that are:
    cheap
    safe - (peanut free)
    fun
    and ones that the kids will be grateful for.

I'd like to make a list of as many ideas for each grade level so that any classroom has a few new ideas for their prize drawer/box.

Format:
    include the grade you teach and what loot you give out for prizes.

Mr.Skinner :D

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2007

When I student taught (2nd grade) my cooperating teacher had some little matchbox type cars, cheap necklaces, cool erasers-but the thing the kids always like the most were tootsie roll pops or the dum dum suckers. They always wanted candy.

4. beachteach

beachteach Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I go to the Target dollar spot a lot. They have things in packs and it works perfect. Party stores has wonderful things too. In my prize box- bouncy balls, chinese yo yo's, pencils, stickers, Happy Meal toys, play cards, and lots of very random things.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

6. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 20, 2007

I taught 5th last year. My girls loved little decorated notepads, cool bookmarks, feathered pens, etc. My boys liked gel pens, temporary tattoos, and water bottles. I also bought shaped playing cards at the Target Dollar Spot that went over well. I never paid more than $1 for anything, and tried to buy packs of stuff that had more than 1 in it for $1, so I'd pay less per item.

I also used a candy jar for some "prizes", they liked that best. I had parents donate Jolly Ranchers and other candy (no chocolate). After Halloween, I asked the parents/kids to send in any candy they weren't going to eat. That lasted me the rest of the year.

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2007

I taught second grade last year and third the year before and found these to be very motivating for the kids:
    Lunch with the teacher
    Homework Pass
    Sit next to a friend pass
    extra computer time
    I also had a treasure chest which they were able to go into if they still had a certain number of Courtesy Cards left at the end of the week. They lived for this!
    They also loved working for a minute or two more of choice time at the end of the day.

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2007

p.s. we are not allowed to give out any food as rewards at all. I have really enjoyed thinking of things the kids would really like and want to work for and achieve.

9. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 20, 2007

I love Trayums "Sit With A Friend" pass. I'm going to use that this year.

We compete in teams all week (fastest to be ready at transition times, best cooperative work, fastest clean-up, cleanest desks after my surprize desk inspections, etc.) The winning team gets to write in pen on Fridays. They have to bring their own pen. They love it and it's free!!!!

10. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

I teach 2nd and these are the things they loved:
    dum-dum lollipops
    skittles
    smarties
    bouncy balls
    tattoos
    jewelry
    fancy pencils/pens
    free computer time
    no homework passes

You can go to smilemakers.com to see lots of prizes there as well.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

With my grade 4-8s:
    stress (squishy) balls--this was the most popular, hands-down
    gummy worms
    fancy pencils
    notepads
    pencil grips
    pass to use my chair at their desk for one period

12. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 20, 2007

7th grade
    stress balls (big hit here too)
    mini notebooks (either the fat ones that are probably 4 inches by 3 inches or the ones with the spiral at the top that you can jot short notes in. BigLots has those 10 for $2 and they are nice quality.)

pencils
    pens
    highlighters
    window clings
    glitter glue

I rarely gave out prizes but had these around to spice things up from time to time.

13. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

Fantastic Ideas!!!

I'm planning a Tasty Tuesdays and Wonderful Wednesdays special event day to happen randomly each week. (tuesday this week wednesday next, etc)

I do want to bring in Baked goods for the kids to purchase with their "Good Work Tokens" as well as have coupons that they can buy:
    5% bonus on tests
    homework free pass
    sit in a comfy chair for 1 period
    etc

I havent seen my classroom yet, So I don't know what the layout will be like or what areas will be available (work at the back table with a friend...). I'm team teaching grade 5 for half the year, once Christmas break comes I'm back in Alberta to finish my last year of studies.

I want to try and get some good "non food" prizes, and some cool food items for tasty tuesdays (smoothies, frozen yogurt and berries cups, low sugar brownies, and rice krispy square sandwiches...)

It's going to be fun...can't wait.

14. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

Food

No contest, food was the favorite for my kiddos in 2nd grade last year. I had a HUGE box of goodies (toys, school supplies, etc etc) and even though I'd add to it and change things out, even if I thought I had great stuff in there...they wanted food! So, I started putting those little packets of oreos, chips ahoy, cheetos, stuff like that in there and they loved that. My school is in a fairly affluent area, so I think they just didn't get turned on by the other stuff since they have so much at home.
    Lunch with a teacher, things like that are good too, just sometimes tricky to follow thru on.

15. CheleOh

CheleOh Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I teach 5th....

We have a token economy in our class. I have a computer program called "The Bank" (from Rick Morris' *New Management*) and hire 3 "tellers" to help with the deposits and withdrawals. We have "real" printed money that the kids can use, or they can place deposit and withdrawal slips into special envelopes and the tellers will deal with their accounts on Fridays.

At the end of each trimester, the "top 5" students (money earners) get to plan a "party". They also get to decide how much each activity/portion of the party will "cost" their classmates. They are directed that only THEY (top 5) should be able to purchase ALL of the choices, and they find the average earnings for the class to determine how much other things should cost.

Usually, their choices are something like a video, popcorn during the video, apple dipper snacks, free play, etc. We take an afternoon "off" for our trimester party. I usually "help" by providing the popcorn or something, but they students are in charge of providing anything else (movie, dippers, juice, etc.).

It's great "life experience" and they feel OH-SO-POWERFUL. :-D

HTH,
    Chele :)

16. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

Can you private message me and I'll show you what we are doing in our class for token economies. yours sound fantastic, and that bank program is it a free download?

Thanks,

Mr. Skinner :D

17. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 20, 2007

I used prizes like "sit with a friend", "free ice cream at lunch" and "homework pass" for Homeworkopoly prizes. I won't be doing that this year, so I may have to add them to my prize box.

18. Scout About

Scout About Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I do a lot of the things already mentioned, but I have to say (and hate to admit), the most popular item to be purchased in our classroom store last year was a can of soda. Those kids loved to cash in their $30 for a Coke or Sprite! No complaints from my very involved parents either (maybe the kids knew better to let them know...;) ).

19. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 20, 2007

20. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 20, 2007

My first graders during student teaching loved:
    Model magic (Michaels puts 40% off coupons in the newspapers, and you can get multipacks of 1/2 oz bags that way)
    Mini containers of Play-Doh (50 for $10)
    Gel pens
    Little sheets of stickers
    Friendship bracelets
    Bouncy balls
    Erasers
    Glitter glue pens

We had to stay away from food due to major peanut allergies. However, a whole class reward the kids could earn based on how much money the whole class earned was a movie party where we could watch a movie (a video of one of the books we were reading in class), and we would have healthy treats then. :)

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 20, 2007

h2omane,
    I really admire your energy and creativity -- you must be a fabulous teacher! If I could add a couple words of caution: (1) before you do ANYTHING food related, find out (a) school policy on snacks/food in classes and (perhaps more importantly) (b)information about ALL students' food issues. You don't just have to worry about allergies, although that is a huge issue. You also need to know if someone is diabetic (little or no sugar for that kiddo) or hypoglycemic (needs sugar, but the right kind of sugar). I know that some school districts no longer allow food in the classrooms. Anyway, just a few thoughts!

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 21, 2007

5th grade-boys liked sports cards (primarily baseball and football), bouncy balls, stress balls, pencil grippers, erasers/toppers, and "gross" stuff like plastic eyeballs and squishy Halloween stuff

Girls lucked much of the same but not sports cards or gross stuff-they did like the sparkley stuff, deco. noepads, rotating crayons (the kind where you pull out one color from the tip and get another one), cute stickers, feather pens, and other girly stuff

rotating pencils (see crayons) and fun pens are always popular if you can find them. Last year I found pens that looked like tootsie rolls. The kids loved them!

23. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Jul 21, 2007

I teach 3rd and I use happy meal toys from McDonalds. I tell friends & family about this and they help me collect them. Kids love it

24. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Thanks,

I will be sending home a list of all the recipies I will be having for Tasty Tuesdays and Wonderful wendesdays at the begining of school in my back to school parent's guide. In it, it will list all the ingredients that I will use and have a form that the parents will return (check box style) as to say if their child can participate. I'm trying hard to stay away from peanut or nut based products, and an avare of egg and milk alergies, but thanks for the kind reminder.

25. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 23, 2007

I have a class store that they can buy with their money they earn and I go to the dollar store and the dollar aisle at Target to get my stuff. When I'm shopping I just think of what 5th graders are into. Some things I have are:

* picture frames
    * magnets
    * cool notepads
    * once I had cool clocks
    * school supplies
    * sports things
    * various balls

They always love anything I get. I try to find things that come in packages of more than one so I get more for my money.