Uh-Oh!!!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by JerseyEnglish, Oct 29, 2007.

1. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Oct 29, 2007

I lost two students make-up quizzes what should I do? I don't want the kids to lose respect for me.

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 29, 2007

Just don't give don't count the grade for them. This is something yu need to work on. Would you be lenient with students when they lost an assignment that was due to you? I hope not, you should hold your self to the same respect! If you need help on organizing student papers just ask.

4. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 29, 2007

Retrace your steps and think where you may have left them.If you can't find them,I would admit what happened and give the students the option of retaking the quiz, or forgetting it with no penalty to the student. Good luck in your search.
    Once when I was in high school, my economics teacher gave us a test,put them in his car and his car was stolen. He made us take the test again. The next day his car was found with the tests inside.The new test was the one he counted.

5. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Oct 29, 2007

Umm Brendan....what does don't give don't count grade mean? First of all it sounds as if you are telling me I need to ask for help organizing student papers. For your information I am really organized and out of the 165 English students I have I lost 2 make-up quizzes that the kids made up on the fly. I was asking for what I could do in the situation. I already felt horrible before, and obviously I am holding myself accountable since I am admitting it is my fault......Also remember that teachers are human and I thought that was this forum is about. I asked for sensible advice not to be lectured on holding myself accountable....

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 29, 2007

You could just drop that grade for them, that way it doesn't benefit or hurt them. When I thought I had lost a test it was stuck in my gradebook between pages. How do you have them turn their papers in? I have a hanging basket and they go from there straight to my bag or gradebook (I know me!) I have had a time or two that I thought a paper was missing, but would go through the rest of the papers and they were out of order, or had been turned in late and were with a different set. I know how bad it feels. Lots of hugs !!!!

7. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Oct 29, 2007

I hate to sound like I don't trust the students, but the tests wouldn't have had any help disappearing?

8. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Oct 29, 2007

Hey, JerseyEnglish, don't beat yourself up... easier said than done, I know... but I think we've all been there and felt terrible ourselves. I did one this year, just a brief 5-question reading quiz for this one girl disappeared; when I was grading them hers wasn't there, and I knew she'd been present while we were taking it. I'm still not sure where it went, if I didn't get it into my folder or if she "forgot" to hand it in or something, though she doesn't seem like that type at all so I more suspect myself losing it. I'd be super-stressing if it were a big test, but this was just a small reading check that I won't re-use from year to year. So, sorry for the long story, for her I just gave her an alternate quiz to make up, and learned my lesson to watch more carefully!

9. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 29, 2007

I misinterperted what you said by the way you posted it seems that you are disorganized. Personally, I have never lost a student's paper in 20 years of teaching. I clip all papers together as soon as they are complete and put them in alpha order to be graded. What it means to not count that quiz for the student is that they are exempt from the score, it will not factor into their averages.

I realize that you are human, but you do not want to make a habit of loosing student papers. It will drive the kids nuts.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 29, 2007

Lucky you.. :rolleyes:

To the OP, I have lost papers occasionally. If you think the quiz is over a skill that you *really* need to assess right now, that you can't check in any other way, then I would confess and tell them to retake the quiz. If it's something that you can assess at a later date, then I'd just drop the grade as the other poster suggested.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2007

I think the idea of dropping the grade is a good one.

Be honest with the kids. Tell them you've searched your briefcase and your classroom, and the makeups simply are NOT there.

Give them the option: they can leave matters as is-- the grade drops and there is no penalty. Or, if they think they really did well on the material, they can take another makeup at their (relative) convenience.

Big picture: no one was hurt. Take a deep breath and get past this.

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2007

why not give them a verbal quiz? Just say, guys, I can't find your papers anywhere, I am really sorry. Can you just tell me what blahblahblah means? Have them talk to you about a few of the questions and give them a holistic grade based on what they could tell you.

13. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Oct 30, 2007

I wouldn't sweat it...obviously we're all human. It happens! If I can't find a student's paper I usually find it mixed in with another class's papers. If I were you I'd exempt them from the quiz and simly explain what happened.
    Clearly this isn't a normal occurance for you because you are worried about it now. No worries!

14. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 31, 2007

Calm down and take a deep breath. I deal with put downs and conflicts in school as part of my conflict resolution program. Let's use this forum only to exchange ideas and help each other.
    All of us make mistakes.

15. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Oct 31, 2007

Once I lost two students' major research papers. I'm not sure what happened other than that I went on a trip that involved flying over the weekend and took the papers with me. I was really embarrassed and had to apologize profusely and ask them to print me another copy.

The tough thing is that students so often say they turned in x to you, really, really, they swear, and then 95% of the time they find it crumpled up at the bottom of their bookbag. Oh, is this it? I did have it. [Yes, I know. I knew I didn't lose it!] Except in the rare circumstance where I knew they had turned it in, I don't take students' words for it when they say I lost their paper.

I really think that being honest about losing them and excusing them from the grade will keep/earn their respect. Everyone makes mistakes, but only some teachers admit to it!

16. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Oct 31, 2007

OH YEAH!!! I get SO sick of this!
    LOL at your story too, wunderwhy - here's a horror story for you: my mentor teacher last year told me the story of when she took some essays on the airplane to grade on a trip and left them in the seatback pocket in front of her. And the amazing thing? She actually got them back - someone turned them in to the airline desk, and a couple days later my mentor called the airline just on the off chance that they appeared, and the airline sent them back to her. Talk about luck!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2007

When I was math dept chair, I was in charge of paperwork for our contestants at the local Math Fair. I had 3 copies of each of 20 research papers, as well as the accompanying 20 permission slips, on the dining room table.

Our new puppy was penned into the kitchen.

Somehow she managed to push the heavy door that connected the 2 rooms (along with the dining room chair placed against it) and ran amok. Aside from all those papers, she also had fun with the TP from the upstairs bathroom.

My husband took pictures. Then I had proof that the dog really did "eat my homework" as I asked for another set of copies.

Hey, sometimes stuff happens. If you know the kids did take the makeup, find a solution that doesn't penalize them.