Uh-oh. Tiny thank you letter mistake

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by matteo49, Jul 29, 2009.

1. matteo49

matteo49 Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

So I just sent off an e-mail thank you letter to each of my interviewers (I have had three for this school, all on the same day). I individualized them so that they were all different and mentioned something about each of our interviews. However, I definitely accidentally wrote "Mr." instead of "Dr."....oops. I know there are a lot of people that are really offended after going so far as to get a PhD to not be called Dr. is offensive to them.

I hope that isn't the most memorable thing about me. :(

At any rate, the interviews I think went great. It's also currently the last school that has got in touch with me about a job or interview. I hope things go well. I really really do love this school. It sounds amazing. Not sure what else I can do is wait. I'm supposed to hear back in two or three days. :nervous:

3. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Jul 29, 2009

Congratulations on the interview, Mateo! Regarding the Dr. thing, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It has been my experience that most of them have enough self-esteem not to let that sort of thing bother them. Hope you get it :)

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2009

It should be fine. Don't worry!

5. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 29, 2009

Also I think in the school system not being called Dr is probably not a big thing. It probably happens all of the time! Good luck!

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2009

I don't think that it's that big of a deal. Good luck!

7. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I agree that I have met people that would be quite offended if not called dr. One of them was a History teacher of mine in high school. However, I really do not think it will matter as it probably happens all of the time. Good luck!!

Just curious...was it a Florida or Georgia school?

8. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

I know a lot of doctors that are offended by being called Mr./Mrs., however in school I think it's acceptable because teachers don't want to intimidate students too much!

If you want you can send out a little note mentioning you meant to write "Dr." but "Mr." just slipped out, out of habit.

9. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 29, 2009

Hopefully it's not a big deal!

10. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 29, 2009

I had a principal who got very offended if you didn't call her doctor. She was a b*&%$ from you-know-where. The place she got her "doctorate" from seemed a little shady, and there were a lot of smart young teachers on the staff from impressive schools (lots of TFA), which made her insecure. Honestly, if someone is so offended by that mistake that you don't get a job, you might be better off not working for them anyway. They are probably insecure and would make your life miserable.

11. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

I've done that before...It's really not a huge issue. The fact that you wrote follow-ups thanking your interviewers will outshine that! Goodluck!

12. matteo49

matteo49 Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

Thanks everyone. I was pretty sure it'd be fine, but I've had two experiences with people being visibly unhappy that I didn't use their title.

I also got a positive e-mail back from one of my (three) interviewers. It sounds great....just the waiting now....

Also, mom2alex, it was actually a school in Virginia. I never applied to schools in Florida (I want out, plus not much opportunity, pay sucks, heat, humidity, etc., etc.) and each school in Georgia didn't want me. (Seriously do not understand why, but whatever...) I'm hoping this one happens though, it's a really amazing school.

13. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 29, 2009

That's great that you got a good sounding email back. I hope that this ones comes through for you and you can get out of Florida!!