Uh-oh- Thank you note dilemma

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by giraffe326, Jul 10, 2012.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

So I had an interview this morning. Most parts went great, but parts just so-so (they asked a lot about my current school's demographics and this school is dramatically different).

Anyway, I did not remember their names (the P had to deal with an unexpected issue, so it was just a few teachers interviewing me). I was not worried about remembering names when I went in, because their names and pictures are all on the website.

Well, the unexpected issue the P had to deal with? They changed over to a new server last night and things were not working properly. Their website completely changed as part of the move to the new server. No pictures!!!!!!! The staff list is not even legible (it has everything smushed together and you can't tell what goes where).

What do I do?:help: Is it totally tacky to address one card to the 'interview team'?

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2012

Chat up the secretary! I've had to do that before.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2012

Dear (Principal's name)
    Thank you so much for the opportunity to meet with you and the hiring committee today. ....maybe take a sentence to address school demographics if you feel that you can improve on hat you already shared in the interview...

5. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 10, 2012

Yup same here!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

I have asked the secretary before, but the school was in chaos because of all the tech problems they were having. They even started my interview 20 minutes late (and I was 15 minutes early, so I sat there watching the chaos for a long time!)

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 10, 2012

then i would do what czacza suggested. good luck!

8. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 10, 2012

I would send it to the principal too and just include something about the interview team.

Good luck!

9. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 10, 2012

Same exact thing happened to me after my interview last Thursday. I sent a note to the principal expressing my appreciation for the interview, admiration for all that the school has achieved, and my desire to continue that success.

You are not the only one this happens to - I know for myself, I will make a note in the future of who else is there besides the P.

10. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jul 10, 2012

You could try using the Wayback Machine (web.archive.org) to view the website before it was changed. If that doesn't work, then I agree with just sending an email to the principal.

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 10, 2012

I don't know how to do it but if you have viewed the site before on your computer I think there is a way to pull it up on your computer. Stored someway. The term Cache is popping into my head. Either way it's probably incredibly difficult so I don't know why I'm even bringing it up. Try a google search with some of the names and the school and see if it brings up some of them from previous versions of the website that might still exist in cyber space, just not through the school's web address any longer.

12. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jul 10, 2012

I was going to suggest this, or go to Google and look at the "cached" version of the page.

13. kitegal89

kitegal89 Rookie

Jul 10, 2012

Yup. If it just happened, chances are google hasn't recrawled it and you can see the cached version. If not, try the wayback machine.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

Thanks for all the suggestions. Google only has the home page :( And the Wayback Machine has been trying to load for 30 minutes.

I ended up sending a card to the P for the 'opportunity' to interview, and expressed my thanks to the interview committee. I wanted to get it in the mail so they would get it tomorrow!

Unfortunately, as part of the server change, I suspect their emails changed. I heard them talking about how they can't load google to log onto their email, and the 'old way' won't work either.
    I obviously did not come in on a good day! :lol:

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

They changed from .org to .net, so I wonder if this is causing some of my problems!

16. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 10, 2012

After my interview, I sent my thank you to the principal only. I had six other teachers interviewing me. I could not for the life of me remember their names. The questions were very intense and I had trouble remembering some of them because they would ask more than one at a time. After my interview, I taught a lesson. I thought it most important at the time to remember the kids' names that I was teaching. I thought I did a horrible job at the whole thing but I ended up getting the job!

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

The problem is is that the principal was not in the interview. She apologized to me (and was really nice), and then left the room.