Uh oh... I hit her car

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by teacherkasey, Oct 3, 2007.

1. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Oct 3, 2007

Okay... I am going to make a long story short and get right to the facts. Because I am the director of the center, I am required to have my CDL (commercial drivers license) and drive our bus if necessary. Well, yesterday I was backing the bus up and accidentally hit the back of my assistant director's Jeep. The back tail light was cracked and needs to be replaced and there is a small bend in the bumper which you barely notice. Well, I obviously let her know what happened and she wasn't concerned about it. I don't want to get the company involved b/c then it will become this big long drag out mess. (Please, no advice or criticism on this. That isn't what I need advice about) So I told her to get estimates and let me know how much it will cost to fix. She said she doesn't care about the bumper, but doesn't want to get pulled over b/c of the tail light. She said she will get her dad to fix it and just pay for the parts.

Well, she told her boyfriend (who is a total a** but that's a totally different topic) and he is freaking out about the bumper. He's telling her that if they ever decide to sell the Jeep that it will decrease the value and maybe because of the dent they won't even be able to sell it. The darn Jeep doesn't start half of the time and is around 15 years old. I don't think if they decide to sell it that someone is going to be so concerned about a little ding in the bumper that they won't buy it. But again, this is a different story.

My question... is there any law or advice on how long I should wait for her to get estimates to me after the date of the accident? And does she have to provide me with more than one estimate and/or take the lowest one? Do I give her the money or pay the repair shop directly? I have a feeling that if I give her the cash for the repairs, that her bf will wind up spending it on something else. Which I guess is their business, but he is such an a**hole that the idea of it being spent on his alcohol or video games just burns me up.

Any advice.

Sorry... guess the post wasn't so short after all:blush:.

3. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 3, 2007

Is the Jeep in her name? If so, I wouldn't worry about what he says......
    Can you get it in writing that you both agree that you will pay for the tail light and all other damages are not concerned by her??

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2007

I would have to believe that if no report was filed with the police then there is no law about estimates and repair work. Let's hope her boyfriend does stay out of it. If it were my car I would want the bumper fixed unless the car was a total piece of junk.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 3, 2007

Personally, if you make it too much of a hassle (because let's face it...she is doing you a favor) then even without her boyfriend's help, she could come to the conclusion that it would be better to go through the insurance. One of the hassles of going through an insurance company is getting multiple estimates.

Now, one of the PERKS of the victim (whatever the word should be) of going through the insurance company is often they come out a little bit richer. So my advice is to tread lightly.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2007

So would I, and she is entitled to it, arse of a boyfriend or not. Perhaps she had a change of mind after thinking about it, and the boyfriend was used as her excuse to tell you she wants it fixed.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2007

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2007

all of the above

first and foremost, let's face it..guys are totally anal about cars. what seems like nothing to us is a major problem to them. these are people who steam clean engines, and restore old cars for a hobby. Most of us ladies just want something that is running and dependable in the driveway. we want it nice and clean, but to paint the engine flamming red is not necessary and Armour All the tires every Sunday is not our idea of fun!

okay..that was my vent!

since you don't have insurance involved, you really don't have a way of determining cost or time limit. I would definitely not give her cash, because she can start nickling and diming you...(uh this broke, that was broken too, etc.) So, maybe you could call a few repair places, pretend it is your car and get some estimates your self. do the math, get three estimates and average it out, maybe add a few more bucks to keep her quiet. then write a check and put in memo section: expenses for damaged vechicle.

then let it go. forget the boyfriend - it is not his issue. (husbands are different-they are part owners, and have major stake in decisions) if she brings him up, gently change subject---while you hand her the check. (some women are more attached to bf than others are too husbands!-you don't want to rock this boat)

and yes, insurance companies are big rip off because they always want to get you to do the biggest estimate, and most of us take check, and go to some corner garage and pay a third and pocket the rest of it. but that goes against your record and your insurance rates!

write a check, copy it, and once it clears...let it go. JMO. good luck!