UGH.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jlyn07, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Sep 17, 2009

So I started my job as a TA last week and I like the job enough but I took the job because I heard it would be a great way into the district. I'm certified reg. ed elementary and am working in a middle school with special ed students. I just found out that another TA has been trying to get an elementary job for 2 years with no luck. So that combined with the fact some teachers treat me like crap I'm thinking about leaving. The principals don't know who I am and its not likely that they will get to know me in such a large school. Also, a huge factor for me is the distance, it's 40 minutes away and the drive is killing me. It is costing so much in gas that I don't even know if its worth it. I'm thinking about subbing even though I've always said I didn't want to. Should I just suck it up for the year or what??

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 17, 2009

:)I would think that substituting in a district in your home town might be a better way for you to get your foot in the door. I know that you would hate to leave them high and dry, but you could always come up with a reason why the position is just not working for you - drive, money, etc. Like you said, you want to work in an elementary school so, this probably will not give you a leg up. However, you MIGHT get black listed from this district, so be willing to not teach in this district if you burn this bridge. All the best!

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2009

I'm sorry it's not going well, Jlyn. That's a tough district and subbing might be a better option for you to get more experience in your certification area and better known in a variety of schools. If you're willing to make the drive to the district that I live in the pay is $107/day and $119/day after you've subbed 20 days (doesn't have to be consecutive), but that might be a bit far for you (and I don't know how much the districts around you pay). It's a pretty good district to sub in if you want more information you can pm me.

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2009

I agree with both of the above. Sorry it is going that way for you Jlyn! That must be hard. Listen to your heart! :)

6. nikkiJ

nikkiJ Rookie

Sep 21, 2009

Having to make decisions like this is awful :( I'm trying to decide whether to sub or not also. Here in Texas, most districts don't have many qualifications for subs, so there is usually a list a mile long of people you're up against for sub jobs. I don't know if I can handle the uncertainty. Good Luck :)

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2009

nikki, what area of TX are you in? Subbing is a great way to network with teachers and principals. Most of the time teachers will choose a certified teacher over anyone else so you might get lucky if you put the word out. I'd make up some business cards, flyers, whatever, and put them in teachers' boxes at the schools you want to sub at.

8. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Sep 21, 2009

I still haven't decided what to do. It seems like every other day I change my mind. I really like the teacher I work with for the majority of the day and the kids are great. I just want to do what is best for me to get a teaching job and there are no guarantees and that stinks.

Jessica, most districts around me only pay $75 a day! I might be contacting you if I decide to sub. The drive might be worth it.

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2009

Jlyn, the no guarantees no matter what you do is the worst! With either option you would be staying in education, though, which is probably the most important thing. I think that I would rather be an assistant than a sub, but I am hoping to get an LTS assignment and like that with subbing if a job opportunity pops up I can easily go for it and take it. However, it would be nice to know where I would be each day and know that I am working everyday.

10. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Sep 22, 2009

Well I now I have an interview tomorrow afternoon at another district (about 15 minutes closer to me) for a TA position. This one would be elementary and would give me benefits! The pay is also slightly higher. So, if I get that I would take it; I'd be much more comfortable in an elementary school and people have told me it's a good foot in the door in this district as well. We'll see...

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 22, 2009

Sending you good wishes and lots of luck!!!!!!!!!

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2009

Good luck, Jlyn!