UGH!!!! We're not allowed to have candy!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Mrs. Mom, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 4, 2006

I just found out that due to new state guidelines we will not be able to give out candy in the classroom this year. I know that I should be teaching them to work for intrinsic not extrinsic rewards, but hey, I'm guilty of using candy as needed!:eek: SO, the question is, what else can I use that won't cost me a bundle? I'm used to giving a small tootsie roll or starburst, etc. and need to find other SMALL items for rewards. Any suggestions, especially from teachers in districts who are already used to these guidelines?

3. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 4, 2006

Coupons for them to sit at your desk, eat lunch with you, free homework pass, or something like that.

4. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 4, 2006

yeah, they tried to pull that here in the last quarter of the year. They haven't told us what we can and can't sell/give away, so hopefully we can do what we've always done.

Stickers...maybe you can give each kids a piece of cardstock and they can keep their sticker collection there and it could be a contest of who gets the most.

5. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 4, 2006

Those are things I will use for bigger stuff, but I'm bad about bribing the kids (should I admit that?? HA!) such as telling them if everyone brings back an important note from home they all get a piece of candy. I use it as a whole group reward after review games sometimes if participation is good. Therefore, I really need smaller stuff. Stickers won't get me too far with my class, I'm afraid! I may have to go to incentive charts, and give stickers toward "bigger" prizes.

6. canada friend

canada friend Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

I have a store in my classroom where the kids earn Eden Dollars (my last name). The store is filled with dollar store items as well as donations from parents of gently used toys (small ones). The store opens on fri. and they can buy 2 things. the kids store their money in a bank account (envelope).

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2006

can you give out food? perhaps goldfish or fruit loops?

I also give out tickets when I catch em being good :) They can draw out of my treasure box if draw.

8. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 4, 2006

TRY GIVING OUT SCHOOL SUPPLIES, COLORING BOOKS, PHOTOGRAPH BOOKS AND DIARIES. SMALL TOYS ARE ALSO HELPFUL. YOU ALSO MIGHT HAND OUT RAFFLE TICKETS FOR A DRAWING. I HAD SOME MIDDLE SCHOOLERS THAT LOOKED FORWARD TO OUR RAFFLE EVERY WEEK. GOOD LUCK! TERRY G.

9. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

Try a dollar store (like Dollar Tree) for cheap prizes. I buy whistles, sticky frogs, bracelets, bouncy balls, etc. I usually find them for 10 or 12 for a buck.

10. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Aug 4, 2006

I use "Rich Bucks", my last name, and I order tons of really cheap, but cute items from oriental trading. Check them out. I run it pretty much the same as Canada friend, except that bad behavior cost money as well. So if they get a fine for bad behavior or missing homework, they have to be paid before they can buy anything from the store.

11. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2006

I like the raffle ticket idea. Then you could have one item that you raffle at the end of the day or week. How about stamps on a little grid that is taped to their desks?

I wish my school had a no candy policy. We really go overboard here. I had a boy last year who couldn't have any sugar, and it really made me look at the issue. Also, as a mom, I don't think I'd be too happy with candy rewards. Not that a Skittle here or there is horrible.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2006

Try Oriental Trading or www.smalltoys.com

Look for erasers, stickers, and other small stuff.

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 4, 2006

I've never given candy (I don't believe in it at all, though it works for some and sometimes it's fine to give out small mints before a big test), yet perhaps have a scholar dollar system with pencils, book covers, books, and other small rewards. I would say give larger rewards at the very end of the year.. I have had an art set and autographed t-shirt from all the students in the class.

I try to give things the students can use in the classroom, except for the little balls (footballs, baseballs, basketballs, soccer balls) in the party section of Wal-Mart.

14. MissV

MissV Companion

Aug 4, 2006

Our school is doing the same thing...I think our whole grade is giving out animal crackers instead of "candy."

15. lfordyce

lfordyce Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

I am giving tokens for good behavior, being helpful, polite etc...and then will draw those tokens from a cool, sparkly bag for special privileges (sp?) I teach first though, so they still like to run errands and sit in the special seat! I wrote student numbers on my chips so that I can use them next year and not have to redo them. Found the idea on a website. I also have some for "whole class" behavior. If one of those gets pulled, we will have a whole class game or snack or maybe a few minutes of choice time.

16. Pixiewannabe

Pixiewannabe Comrade

Aug 5, 2006

I don't know that large amounts of candy are good and I don't use it very often but there is evidence to show that joint compression is good for stimulating the brain and so the occasional chewy candy does go out and I don't think that its bad.

17. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2006

What state are you in? We have had this here in Tx for a few years. I used to give out ONE skittle for a child acting good but now I give out tickets. When they get 10 they can draw from the prize box. I also do stickers and they LOVE stickers too :)

On another note I find it funny that teachers can't give out candy because we might be making kids overweight but they school caf. can serve pizza with mash potatoes and a roll....ummmmmmmmm not healthy AT ALL!!!!

18. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 5, 2006

Well, I know our cafeteria menu is being overhauled by the school nurse....don't know yet what the school board adopted for the upcoming year for sure, but I know there are lots of changes. Parents will not be allowed to pack certain items in lunches sent from home....I'm sure that's not going to go over very well. Last year our school nurse said that for birthday parties, parents could send rice krispy treats as a healthy alternative. I'm no dietician, but even though they are a fat free food, they are loaded with sugar...and honestly, rice krispies have no fiber, what value are they???? We thought that kids should be taught it was ok to indulge in moderation, such as the occassional birthday party, but she was very much against it. We now serve lots of raw broccoli and cauliflower in the school cafeteria, and she pushes them to try it with ranch dressing.....full fat ranch dressing. Am I missing something here??

19. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

This happend to me last semester. And I got my prize idea from Mr. Gatti's (our version of Chucky Cheese or Billy Bob's). I was there with my nephews and noticed the little erasers, platic bugs, spinning tops, etc...

So, I made my way to the Dollar Store (a teacher's best friend) and I bought plastic bugs, plastic jerlwery, cartoon cards, stickers, nerf balls, bouncy balls and other trinkets for about 10 dollars and that lasted me all year!!!

I caught some flak from other teachers, "You're giving toys?" but all you can say is, "I can't give candy."

Hope this helps, I know it did for the little ones.

20. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2006

I don't think the school can regulate what parents pack in the lunches. I would throw a fit about that one!!!!

Where do you teach? Public, private, state???

21. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 5, 2006

So true

and then they'll have french toast sticks/cinnamon rolls, etc and choc. milk for breakfasts and sell icecream on top of the pizza at lunch! It's crazy.

22. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 5, 2006

Public school in Missouri. Well, the parents don't know it yet, but I know that this has been approved by the board....Teachers won't be allowed to eat certain foods in front of the kids, and we have a table in the cafeteria. I guess I'll have to eat in our workroom if I want to bring a cookie!!

23. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2006

Thats horrible. Our isn't that bad. We can eat whatever we want!!! The only "rule" we have is we can't give out food in the classroom or junk food I should say. If we are ever caught doing this by the state (I call them the "candy police") we can loose money equal to what the state gives us for free lunch. But as far as parents-they can pack whatever they want in the lunches. After all it is THEIR child.

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 5, 2006

BUBBLES!! I am not too sure what grade you teach but my students love it when I blow bubbles and they get to pop them. Only the child named gets to pop the bubbles and no one else is allowed to pop it/move so it lands on them... or else they do not get bubbles. I had one little girl who always requested a "bubble bath" as a reward!!! :)

25. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Aug 5, 2006

I have used bubbles as just a way to get the kids attention...especially on warm afternoons or rainy/sleepy days. It really helps perk up the kids. I like the idea of having them as a prize. Thanks for the idea.

26. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Aug 5, 2006

We aren't even allowed to have a cup that has a fast food restaurant logo on it!! Yeah in Alabama they're really cracking down on it. We gave out three pages of "approved snacks" that parents can send for snack! It's ridiculous. I'm alright with the "no carbonated drinks" thing but if a mom sends a snickers bar in a ziploc I ain't gonna make waves. I have bigger things to worry about.

Anyways. On your question. Last year I taught Special Ed and I gave each kid an incentive chart and for every day they did their best they'd get a sticker to put on there. Then when their chart was full they got to pick something out of the treasure chest. (stuff from oriental trading) This year I'm going to try doing the raffle thing. Then I can give out larger prizes to one child each week. Maybe even a special "state approved" snack. In first grade they love anything that no one else has!

27. looloo

looloo Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

I teach in Mississippi and that stinks. I give out M&M's (1 or 2 at a time) and the kids are THRILLED with that. I think any kid that is so excited about getting 1 or 2 teeny pieces of candy can't be THAT addicted. I mean REALLY.

Can you still have parties like an ice cream party or a pizza party? If so, you can have them get stickers or whatever towards that. I have some shiny pretend coins that say " Caught being good" that I use for that too. Sometimes I have that as a "treat" when EVERYONE makes an A on the spelling test or whatever.

I also do popcorn parties for good behavior sometimes. As to how to pay for it, I have volunteer forms at the beinning of the year for the parents to fill out. Lots of parents will volunteer to send small toys (from oriental trade or even toys like McDonalds prizes- even garage sale stuff). Mine also send in microwave popcorn for the popcorn parties. As for the pizza parties, I have each child send in $2.50 for the personal pizzas- and I cover the drinks. For ice cream parties I have each child bring in something like a topping or something and I bring the ice cream.

I also do the "buying" prizes from the treasure chest. (I love the idea of them having to pay fines though- I'd like some more info on that PLEASE!!) I use those teeny tiny stickers and I call then " listening stickers". I give them out throughtout the week (we have a chart to post them). Then on Friday the kids can buy stuff with them- 4 stickers equals one dollar. One dollar can buy a prize. Some students will be able to buy several prizes because I just give them out randomly! The first week I make sure everyone gets at least one prize, but after that there will be some weeks when some students will not have enough. Don't worry! They will learn and have enought the next week!

My school also does "gold slips". These are little pieces of paper that all the teachers give out (even library, etc) and you put them in a bucket.A few get drawn each week and they get a prize from our principal. We try to make sure that each students gets drawn a few times during the year. Maybe your principal would agree to do something like that to help out?

SO SORRY this is so long!!!!:eek:

28. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 5, 2006

Mrs. Mom - Who is going to "police" the lunch bags of the students? If a student comes to school with items that cannot be eaten will the school provide a lunch for them? As far as telling teachers what they can and cannot eat this would be a #1 priority with my union. Also, why do teacher's eat in the lunchroom with the students? Why can't you eat in your classroom and invite others to join you? It is your time.I find this unbelievable. In my district parents would never put up with this. I do believe they would ask for the Board of Ed members who voted for the proposal to step down. I can understand asking parents to look at guidelines in helping to create healthy lunches and snacks for their children but to tell them what they can and cannot do is quite ludicrous in my opinion.

29. DotyMath

DotyMath Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

I wish I could eat in my own classroom.
    Every school I have worked has required all teachers to eat in the lunchroom with their students :(
    Lunchtime isn't "duty-free" time according to the schools I have worked.
    Thankfully - I have never had to sit with them.

30. Noel

Noel Companion

Aug 5, 2006

Try a pen pass

I can't give out candy/food of any kind in class because I have 1 student with a SEVERE nut allergy (I can't even use bath & body works products b/c the have nut oil in them) and 1 diabetic student so I had to get creative....I tried this....A pass to use a pen to complete one paper.....ooohhhhh....the kids love it, I have a selection of colored ink pens and then I reserve the right to say which paper they can and can't use it on....They love it!!! Just a thought...These are 1st graders so this is a big deal to them...pens don't really come into class until 6th grade in our school..so they feel really special! :)

31. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 5, 2006

I like the pen idea. That will be a hit with my class, I'm sure. THANK YOU!!
    I know our state is coming out with all sorts of nutritional guidelines, but I wonder about telling parents what can't be packed in a lunch. I mean, what about baked potato chips? Who's going to know if someone brings "real" or baked ones?? I guess our policeman will be our school nurse. She enjoys policing the lunch trays to see who ate how much. I haven't gotten the official word yet about birthday parties and reward parties. From what she stated last school year, regular birthday treats probably won't be allowed. I'll know in another week when we start school.

32. looloo

looloo Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

Who eats lunch with your class? I wish I didn't have to eat with my class too. I love the pen idea!

33. MOBO

MOBO Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

We also found out that we cannot give out candy - I, too, am in a dilemma because I kept M&M's handy when I caught someone on task, etc.
    To top it all off, no more cookies or cupcakes or candy for birthday celebrations at school or for class parties! They told us to have the parents send healthy snacks! Next thing you know, we won't be having parties anymore!

34. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Aug 6, 2006

It may have changed this year but last year we could have cookies and cupcakes as long as they had *some* nutritional value. But I know we will only have bottled water and 100% fruit juice in the vending machines. I'm not sure how that's going to work. This is getting ridiculous.

35. Tch4th

Tch4th Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

Allegedly, one of the local school districts (I teach in MO, too) isn't even going to serve soft drinks, candy, etc. in the concession stands at ball games. THAT is going to be fun to watch!

36. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 Companion

Aug 6, 2006

I'm going to sound like a meanie to some of you but I never give out candy & only once a month do I give out any kind of a prize...at the end of the month, if a student turns in his/her reading log then they get a pencil or some small reward. I'm just not a "prize" kind of person I guess. My 1st graders don't seem to mind though. Maybe because they don't know any better?...what they've never had, they can't expect, right?

37. Jenni

Jenni Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

I have heard lots of people going this way as far as the vending machines. Our high school closed the vending machines during school hours too. My arguement however is, if you ask many doctors, juices are just as bad as sodas. Juice has some value to it but it is also full of calories and sugar even the 100% kind. My dad is a diabetic and his doctor (my doctor when I was younger) told him that people shouldn't even drink juice on a regular basis.

It is much better to eat an apple then it is to drink apple juice. Also many juices are very rough in digestion etc. Just arguing that if they are really that picky they should cut out the juice too. They could have, flavored water, sugar free kool-aid, etc. in the machines.

Not that I agree any school should go that extreme, if you teach kids not to have to much then it isn't an issue. Even one soda a day probably isn't going to really hurt most active children. Though I am not sure yet how I feel about food type rewards just because it encourages eating as a reward. All the suggestions here though are wonderful substitutes. I love the school shop idea. You could even sell bathroom passes, etc for older kids.

38. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Aug 7, 2006

I'm in Texas with the "no candy" rule too. I have a prize box for weekly drawings for behavior, but I also have a prize bag that I use for game winners, returned report cards, etc. This bag has erasers, pencils, small (oriental trading-type) toys.

39. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

I have a feeling that I'm going to get pretty handy with placing orders to oriental trading! HA I just hate spending a lot of money (since I'm always broke!) and I don't like buying "big" stuff, I prefer school oriented items, but it can really add up. I'm taking my niece shopping today, she'll be in my class, and I hope to get some input from her as to what would make good prizes without breaking my bank!

40. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2006

Thank goodness for my duty free lunch! That is one good thing about teaching here!

41. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 7, 2006

I, too, am like Dailyduck123. I do not give out any type of reward for individual good behavior. If I find the class did an exceptionally good job all week they will be rewarded with extra "free time" on Friday afternoon. I find that verbal recognition goes a long way. I do give rewards, though, for their reading workshop. When a total of ten books are read and the appropriate questions are answered on each book the student is allowed to choose a book from my special book box. These books I get through Scholastic. I use my bonus points and order the box of 50 books. Students love it because there is such a variety of reading material to choose from. Another reward I sometimes choose is a walk around the block. (I get signed permission slips from the parents at the beginning of school) We choose something to look for as we walk and then see who found it, where, how many, etc. They love it! (PS the school is in a rural area, no major roads to cross)