Ugh - trying to schedule conferences...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 1stGradeRocks, Oct 23, 2007.

1. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Oct 23, 2007

I sent home a conference request form with all my students with their report cards yesterday. I only got 4 back today. 2 were from my most advanced kids who I only have positive things to say about. 1 did not write a date or time, they just signed yesterday's date. The other put 11:30 a.m. when I said I was available from 11:00 - 11:30 (during my planning). How can parents just ignore a conference request form?! I know that they saw it, because it was stapled to the report card, and the kids brought back the report card slip signed. So frustrating.

3. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2007

Some parents just dont care! I always have mine sign up for conferences at back to school night....if they don't pick a time then, I assign them one.....and if the does not work...we figure it out from there!!
    I know it is too late now...just thought for next year!

4. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Oct 23, 2007

We always just assign our conferences. I had one not show up - we reassigned her for Thursday. I'm fairly confident she will come then. Most of our K-5 gets 100% of parents to show.

5. smile

smile Companion

Oct 23, 2007

I do the same. I did something different this year...for parents who didn't sign up at back to school night, I actually call and tell them the available time and date and they get to choose from what i have. If that doesn't work, then we make different arragements. so far, so good. I have 10 parents showed up and they were actually on time!!! I have 10 more to go. Hopefully the rest of parents will show up because that is the time & date they selected that was good for them.

6. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Oct 23, 2007

I have them sign up for a time that works for their family from a letter that I send home. Then, the teachers all get together to schedule families with more than one child. We then have to send out another letter, confirming the date and time that the parents will be there. I always set a due date in my newsletter as to when I want the confirmations back. If I don't get them, I have the kids call and leave a message if necessary. If that doesn't work, I call. (I have never had to though.)

7. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Oct 25, 2007

So I had a conference scheduled for 3:30 today, and they didn't show up. I stayed until 4:00 waiting for them. They even requested the time. :down:

8. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Oct 25, 2007

My school takes two half days for conferences. About two weeks before, all of the teachers get together and schedule siblings for back to back conferences. All other students are assigned a time by the teacher. We have nearly 100% show up, but it is school policy that they cannot receive 1st quarter report cards without coming to a conference. I did have one that never came in for the report card the entire year.

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 25, 2007

I do my sign up at parent night. I also have schedule outside the door, and the parents sign up if they missed parent night. It's first come first serve, so it's good motivation to come to parent night. I have one more opening than I have students.

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2007

It's amazing what free food and free babtsitting service did to our turn out! Just a supervised movie on large screen. The real little ones have a toy room to go to.

11. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Oct 26, 2007

Our school schedule has two built in conference days. We run afternoon and evening conferences 12:00 - 3:00 and 4:30 - 7:30. I don't love staying at school in the evening, but we do get a much better turn out. If parents do not sign up for a conference and I want to see them, I just give them a time and hope for the best. They often do show. Also, we got a new principal a few years ago and he is a real go getter. If a parent doesn't show up after several attempts, he and the guidance counselor go to the home and do a home visit (unannounced). He will not give up until he sees them. Since he started doing this, we are having alot more success in getting our parents into the school because most of the parents do not like him coming to their house. I teach in a low income area and many of the parents really need to be taught how to be responsible parents.

12. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Oct 26, 2007

That's what I would do, if parents did not request a time, I sent a time home that I had assigned to them.

13. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Oct 26, 2007

Update...

So I spoke with the mom this morning, and evidently it's my fault that the dad didn't show for the conference. :rolleyes: She said that he didn't come because he never heard back from me. I sent a conference request form with times I was available, and he sent it back with a time that was fine. So I didn't respond, but of course I expected him to show up at that time. Then the mom was very annoyed when I asked her when she was available.