ugh..took on a 4-day job as a clerical sub ...what was I thinking?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by thesub, Nov 13, 2012.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Nov 13, 2012

I was so happy to get a 4-day job that I said yes without thinking.
    I spent 6 hrs doing nothing. I answered the phone if I got a chance - there were 3 other secretaries jumping up to answer the phone. I thought I could do some data entry work but then all information was sensitive, so I was not allowed to log on. I am also making $10/hr whereas in classroom subbing I'd get $15.

I will not accept future clerical jobs. I do not want to make things difficult for the department by canceling the three days. Anyway, I learned my lesson.

Have you all done clerical subbing?

Thanks so much,
    thesub

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2012

I think that sounds like a fun and easy way to spend a few days and make some money. I'd do it!

Are you allowed to browse the internet or read a book while you're not working on anything?

4. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Nov 13, 2012

Ugh, I feel you. That would drive me INSANE, I like to be busy! I've never done clerical subbing, but I have had a few jobs (usually for special ed teachers) where the students were away or otherwise occupied and I had nothing to do all day.

I would ask if you can do your own thing (read, write, whatever) if you're not busy. I usually take my Nook along with me on sub assignments for downtime. Just make sure you ask whoever is on the normal staff if it's OK.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 13, 2012

At least you now know to avoid those kinds of assignments, especially with that kind of pay cut. Sorry it came to this.

6. thesub

thesub Comrade

Nov 13, 2012

I figured I'd make $300 from 4 days of easy work and it will pay off one month's car loan, so it will be good. The director did not turn on the computer and I did not feel comfortable asking. The others seem to work on their spreadsheets and answering calls and I felt awkward reading a book. But there were lots of education and public school-related magazines, so I kept looking at them.

Thank you for your reply.

7. thesub

thesub Comrade

Nov 13, 2012

Thank you all for your thoughts. The staff is nice and only three more days to go.

I know a few sub moms who got permanent jobs at the Board of Ed or as aides and I have always wondered what a clerical job is. Now I know first-hand.

thesub

8. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Nov 13, 2012

I'd do it--easy money. I'm a little flustered by the lack of calls this week due in part to the one week holiday coming up next week.

9. thesub

thesub Comrade

Nov 13, 2012

I am in 4 districts and yet sometimes a week goes by without any jobs.:eek::eek:

10. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Nov 13, 2012

I would go nuts!

11. MrsPoppy

MrsPoppy Rookie

Nov 29, 2012

While I haven't officially done clerical subbing, I have it happen about once per year where someone books me for a morning subbing job instead of afternoon by mistake, and they're required to pay me since they don't catch it before I arrive, so I end up doing clerical stuff. I help make copies, collate and staple things, organize bulletin board stuff that needs to be put away, wrap empty boxes to be fake presents... I go out of my way to find tasks because I'm like you... I can't just sit and do nothing.