Ugh subtraction!!!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Learner4Life, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Feb 1, 2008

So I'm having trouble getting some of my Title 1 kids to understand borrowing. Does anyone have some fun games or tricks that have really helped your 2nd graders get it?!?!

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 1, 2008

This might be hard for me to explain but I'll try.
    When I introduced trading in addition I came up with the idea of using the cartoon Ben Ten. (all I know is that my 5 year old nephew loved this show). I told my students that when they added up the ones column they could only have one digit in the column. If there was an extra digit or ten it wanted to join the Ben Ten Club. So the extra "10" went over to the Ben Ten Club and was added in. IT WORKED! Then I took it a step further and decided to try trading to the hundreds. I told the kids that if Ben Ten had two digits or an extra hundred the hundred was hungry and had to go to the Hungry Hundreds. So the extra Ben or ten went to the Hungry Hundreds. I then took it one more step. If the Hungry Hundreds had two digits the extra hundred went to the Tummy Thousands.
    Don't ask me how I came up with this. I did it on the spur of the moment when I introduced trading in addition. After one day the class was trading like pros. The only errors made were actually in adding, not in the process. I then taught it to another second grade class and it worked there too.
    I am sure you could try and reverse the process. That is what I plan on doing when I teach trading in subtraction.

4. blue-eyed mom

blue-eyed mom Companion

Feb 1, 2008

that's cute! I'm going to try it with some of my struggling ones. You know, it's amazing what we can come up with in the spur of the moment!!:)

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2008

Use base 10 blocks.

Also try these rhymes:
    Regrouping/Borrowing

"More on top, no need to stop"

"More on the floor, go next door and get ten (10) more"

"Numbers the same, zero's (0) the game"

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 2, 2008

If it's smaller on the top take a ten.
    If it's smaller on the top take a ten.
    If it's smaller on the top, take a ten and start again.
    If it's smaller on the top, take a ten.

When I taught second grade we sang this song which helped some of them!

7. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Feb 3, 2008

Janlee,

I really like this alternative approach. I've been using a "trader, joiner, counter" idea another poster mentioned on the forums. It has worked with most of my students, but I still have at least 6 who struggle with carrying over the 1. I'm going to try this and see if it will help them.

I, too, am about to start teaching subtraction with borrowing. I'm not sure I want to use the same method to teach this because it could confuse the kiddos.

8. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Feb 3, 2008

corps2005... I tried reversing the "trader, joiner, counter" and it just didn't work for them...
    Their regular ed. teacher uses the poem "knock on the door, get ten more" for their little saying but some of mine still aren't getting it... I'm kind-of looking for a game or different way of thinking that'll help me get it through.

9. MissE

MissE Rookie

Feb 7, 2008

Miss Kirby, I taught my class your song and they loved it! Thanks!!!

10. AnthonyA

AnthonyA Rookie

Feb 9, 2008

I like that one! :up:

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 9, 2008

I have them play a game I call "Bundles and Straws." You need 99 mini-straws (like you have for calendar math, or that you can swipe from the cafeteria.) If you can't find little straws, coffee stirers will do.

Put 90 of them into bundles (10 per bundle, using a rubber band to held them together.) Have nine loose.

The children can roll a digit die, or have number cards for the numbers 1 - 9. They roll or select a card. Let's say they pick a 6.

They have to do the problem 99 - 6. They try to solve the problem on paper. They remove 6 straws and set them aside, and can check their answer by counting bundles (10s) and singles (1s). The answer would be 93. They didn't need to unbundle (or regroup) anything.

Next they might roll or select a 7. They have 9 bundles and 3 singles. They have to unbundle one of the 10s in order to solve this problem. So instead of 9 bundles and 3 singles, they have 8 bundles and 13 singles. Now they can solve the problem.

They continue on and on until they run out of straws or the time is up.

Hope that makes sense.

12. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Feb 9, 2008

That makes a lot of sense!!!! I'm going to try that one on Monday!!! THANKS!

13. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 11, 2008

Rainstorm, I played a similar game with my second graders when student teaching and completely forgot I did! Thanks for reminding me about it-- I think it'll help out some of my struggling second graders.

MissKirby, I'm singing that to my class tomorrow-- what a cute song!!

14. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Feb 11, 2008

My students also really enjoy the song as well :) Now, as they are working through their subtraction problems, I can hear several of them humming and singing under their breath. :p

15. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Feb 11, 2008

K here's what we do.....we started with rods and units and if you couldn't subtract you had to take out your hammer and bust a rod apart into 10 little pieces. When my kids do it paper and pencil now I see them pretending they have a hammer and busting the rod into pieces.

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Feb 14, 2008

Aren't you going to run out of rods... do you really do this? Ours are wooden.

It's a good visual, but I don't think my school is looking to replace the rods any time soon.

My third graders are still sort of not getting this. Especially if you have to regroup only with the middle number of a 3 or 4 digit number, or lots of zeros... I didn't spend as much time on the blocks as usual and wish I had.

17. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Feb 18, 2008

I taught Title I kids for 12 years. The best way for them to learn new math concepts was to repeat the procedure over and over and over again. Many don't understand why they are doing it, but it finally sinks in. Teach the steps one by one. You can do this in Title I class easier than in the regular class.

18. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Apr 10, 2008

Try using dimes and pennies. Because many of them already understand that there's ten pennies in a dime, they make the jump to tens and ones much easier.