Ugh...lice...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HorseLover, Sep 4, 2013.

1. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

So I found out that a kid in one of the classrooms at school (not my classroom) might have headlice...and to top it all off I found out that my adult sister whom I share a room with has them! (she works in a child care place). I think she got treated today, but not sure what that entailed. :unsure: Anyone know the likelihood of me catching them? What would I do if I got them?! I can't really afford to miss any school being a first year teacher at the beginning of the year

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2013

Minimal chance from kid at school since isn't in your classroom. Your sister needs to start a lice treatment on her hair/scalp immediately. I'd personally sleep in another room until the lice are eradicated...:eek: also you might want to do the following:

"When treating head lice, supplemental measures can be combined with recommended medicine (pharmacologic treatment); however, such additional (non-pharmacologic) measures generally are not required to eliminate a head lice infestation. For example, hats, scarves, pillow cases, bedding, clothing, and towels worn or used by the infested person in the 2-day period just before treatment is started can be machine washed and dried using the hot water and hot air cycles because lice and eggs are killed by exposure for 5 minutes to temperatures greater than 53.5°C (128.3°F). Items that cannot be laundered may be dry-cleaned or sealed in a plastic bag for two weeks. Items such as hats, grooming aids, and towels that come in contact with the hair of an infested person should not be shared. Vacuum furniture and floors...dispose of vacuum bag."

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 4, 2013

YIKES!! Keep your hair dirty too -- leave-in conditioner, hairspray, hair gel, etc... and don't forget about cleaning the carpet any communal closets.

5. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Sep 4, 2013

It's no big deal. I've had it 3 times in my life. Just wash everything (blankets, clothes, throws, pillow cases, hair brushes, etc) in SUPER hot water. Then do a de-lice treatment a couple of times (just trust me, the first time around will not kill them all!)

Get one of those lice combs and start combing! That's usually the best way of getting rid of them completely, is combing. Then do a hot coconut oil treatment once a week.

To prevent catching them do not share ANYTHING! And keep your hair tied up. Keep your hair dirty, and you can also super blast your scalp with hot air from a blow dryer, as hot as you can stand it to kill anything.

6. 1cubsfan

1cubsfan Companion

Sep 4, 2013

You should be fine even sleeping near your sister. Lice is fairly hard to catch from person to person, but it is really hard to get rid of. Coarse/thick hair will hold lice a lot more easily. Sometimes people with thin straight hair won't get lice because the lice just fall out. The most important thing is to wash with lice killing shampoo 1-2 times even after you think they are all dead.

^^survivor of a month long brutal case of head lice. Totally ruined my hair, too, because of all the harsh treatment.

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2013

They sell preventative shampoos and conditioners for lice. I bought a bottle of each when one of my students had a significant lice problem two years ago and I use it once or twice a week if there happens to be an outbreak in my class. I don't know how much it really helps but it gives me peace of mind!

8. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2013

I slathered mayonaise all over my son's head one time and let him sleep in it. Pretty sure that got rid of them. But it left a real greasy spot on the spread. Then we burned the house down and all the contents.
    I think it worked. ;)

9. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 5, 2013

Unless you were dealing with licium asbestosesius, a rare strain that is fire-resistant. :(

But now, thanks to this thread... my head itches. ;)

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2013

I only do this in case of spiders. :)

11. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Sep 5, 2013

"Tea Tree Oil" is a great proactive way to keep lice away. You can either by bottles of the oil and add to your hair or buy the Tea Tree Shampoo.

12. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Sep 5, 2013

Totally off topic, but tea tree oil feels so good during summer here in AZ! I add it to my shampoo just for the cooling/tingling affect. Especially since hot water is coming out of the cold tap because its so hot. UGH!

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2013

The good new is you'd live. I had lice a few times as a child. Treat, clean, be then focus on being proactive. :)

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2013

I have a couple of students with lice.... They have been treated. They are definitely going around right now!

15. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 5, 2013

When my girls got it I had a heck of a time getting all the nits out. If you miss just a couple you will have an infestation in a few weeks all over again. I finally broke the cycle by treating their heads for the adults, drying their hair and using a flat iron on every strand. The nits are laid right at the edge of where a flat iron can reach. The heat is high enough that it will kill anything in the egg casings, even what shampoos and creams cannot kill. The nits will still be on the hair strands but they won't be viable.

When I got lice as an adult I used the same idea. I soaked in a tub as hot as I could stand (which is pretty darn hot). I actually had dead lice in the tub after a little while (gross!). Took a shower, dried my hair and used the flat iron. That was the only treatment I needed. No dangerous chemicals, no nit combs, no follow-up.

Of course you do need to treat all types of linens in the home. As well as your car head rest, couch, etc.

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 5, 2013

In our state, a kid with lice must get released by the State Health Department before coming back to school.