Ugh. Can't sleep, this has got to stop!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Lyquidphyre, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

It's 3:39 am here in Texas and I can't sleep. This has been happening for the past month. I haven't had a whole lot to do so I end up staying up all night because I can't fall asleep then I get up some what late and restart the cycle.

This has got to stop!! On Tuesday I have to be at workshops or "professional development" stuff REALLY early in the morning about 40min away. This will continue until school starts. I need to get my sleeping back in order but I'm worried how long it will take and how difficult it might be.

I'm yawning like crazy while I type this.... sleep, where are you?

3. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

Try taking Tylenol PM. It helped me but don't take it all of the time. Just take it long enough to get you back on track again. Good luck!!

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2007

Or you could try benedryl. I understand what you are feeling, liquidphyre. You put soooo much effort, emotional and otherwise, into getting this job. And the job offer came so close to the start of the year that you just cannot fully absorb you have the job, you got your dream, and oh, crud, now I have to TEACH these kids! You are seriously stressed out like anyone would be.

Take a minute, before you got to bed, and write down all of what is bouncing in your head. I need to to do this or that list, oh this is a good idea, etc. Even keep a pad of paper by your bed if needed. Then get yourself a good book, but not too good, and a booklight. Read before you go to sleep, but use the booklight, your body senses the dark and does not keep you awake, if you pick the right book (I have one on slavery during the American Revolution, it is good, but gets a bit dull when I am tired....) you should be asleep in 20 mins.

Trust me I have dealt with sleeping issues for years, and this works like a charm every single night. Oh if I write the stuff down, I don't wake up in the middle of the night as much either, nor do I have "stress dreams" those dreams where everything is going wrong....then you wake up feeling tired.

Sleep well

5. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

Thanks for the tips!
    You know, I have Benedryl, but it is almost out because of my sleep issues! I think I'll try the tylenol PM and have it on hand for "emergencies"
    I have a book I have been reading, I really need to take the time to read it before bed. It's called World War Z and it reads well, but because of the way it is written it has a lot of great stopping points.. so I might try that as well.

See, I don't have stress dreams, I get night terrors when I'm stressed out. I haven't had any in several years but within the last month or two I can't even count how many I have had. The other night was the worst, I woke up my boyfriend I was freaking out so bad.

On Monday I don't have anything to do early but I'm going to get up really early so hopefully I can go to bed early and get on a better sleep cycle.

6. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

I have the same problem. I'm an insomniac and it only gets worse when I am stressed. I am excited, but really anxious about my first year. So I know that is what is aggravating my sleep pattern. I tried tylenol pm and it doesn't do much for me. Benadryl definitely does, but I don't want to take it every night. Ambien works well, but I don't have a Rx for it right now. I'll have to wait till the new insurance kicks in. Best of luck to you on sleepless nights!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  7. glenn

glenn Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

If it was me I would try taking melatonin from a health food store. Everone one is different but it is something you might want to find out more about and then decide for yourself.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 11, 2007

The "new job" adrenaline will help keep you going the first few days.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 12, 2007

I always have this problem during the summer. I'm not as near as active in the summer, so my body isn't tired. So then I stay up late, get up late & the cycle continues. Going back to work tomorrow, so I need to get back on schedule.

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2007

Same problem, but I think I know what the problem is. I just found out I don't have enough iron. The doctor described my sleep problems before I even told him. (Exhausted after school, have to take a nap, stay up all night, can't wake up properly, cycle continues all week until the weekend when I sleep in very late.) The iron pills make me sick, so I'm trying a new type. Get your blood checked. It might be the problem.

11. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 14, 2007

I hate that. Sometimes I'll fall asleep around 9 or 10ish but then wake up ready to go around 3...then I won't fall asleep until 5 or so and have to get up at 630 for my morning! It sucks! Those 2 hours of staring into blackness are absolutely boring.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 14, 2007

I've gotten into this horrible cyle: Sleeping in till about 8-9am & staying up late. I'm a night owl anyway, but when there are days in a row when I don't have to work, I can stay up till 2-3am.

I don't have another teaching job yet, but whenever that happens, the waking up early again will definitely take some getting used to.

I've read that taking a bath & drinking warm milk helps you go to sleep.

13. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Aug 14, 2007

I'm in the same boat here. I let myself stay up extremely late one night finishing a research project, and I've been staying up late (but not as late) nearly every night since. We are supposed to report back the 23rd, and school starts the 27th. I really need to get on a regular sleep schedule.

14. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 14, 2007

Yuck! Warm milk? I don't think I'd even try that one if I was up for a week straight! Hehe...I can't stand drinking milk by itself...it grosses me out. :)~

15. shouldbeasleep

Aug 17, 2007

Before I figured out what the problem was, I drank warm milk flavored with syrup. Sorry. But it worked. That, and a quick hot shower, and a couple of Advils, maybe a few pages in a book, a quick check on the back door, a load of clothes in the machine, a few hours on this forum, and morning's light coming through the window, and it's right to sleep I go.

Lord forgive me, I've been so sarcastic lately. It's a good thing my fifth graders think it's funny. I told them today, after being interrupted by a student while explaining something, that our field trip this year (which is what he wanted to know) was going to be a one-way trip to the cemetery! How many calls do you think I'll get on Monday?

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2007

since I have been home for summer, I have made up all kinds of weird schedules...eating breakfast at 2, lunch at 7 and staying up until 2am...just because.

I decided to take a part time job, and I start tonight. I will work friday and saturday, from 10:30 pm until 7am. Then, on 8/20, I will start back to school, M and W from 5-8:50pm. A third class will start in Oct.

And, I will start my new job on 8/27!

My guess is, it will be like exercise. I don't have anyone at home now. I have a new car. Job is close to home, and I get good discounts. I would rather work graveyard shift than have my sat and sundays all cut up. At least this way, I can still do stuff on the weekends. As I have no life, :lol: I don't mind going to work at 10:30 p.m. I'm not doing anything anyway.

I am kinda worried about staying up unitl 7am. I did it before, and I got these awlful bags under my eyes. In fact, everyone I worked with had a zombie look about them.

I think I will do it as long as I can. It will give me some profit sharing, stock options, and other benefits that the full time job can't offer. And I only have the fall and spring semesters for school, and then I am finished.

so...we may be swapping stories.... how you can get to sleep and how I can stay awake!!

p.s. I yawn all the time anway. It is so annoying because it is involuntary...you can't stop it. I know when hayfever season comes back in the fall, it will be worse. I hear with allergies you get congested, don't sleep well, and so your body automatically responds.

at least the fall is better than spring. Once the first frost hits, hayfever stops cold :lol: I plan to fight back with claritin D this time around. and elevating my head with two pillows...makes it easier for post nasal drip to drain...ewww (who knew?) and keep water by my bed, so I don't wake up coughing like I will lose a lung or something...

I want to take naps at the night job, but I am afraid because the break room is acessible to public, near restroom, and that is just too close for comfort for me! so, will see how it goes tonight.

17. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

Well, after this week of "new teacher training" and lots of early mornings... I fell asleep at 9:30 last night with no problems! Haha hopefully I will be able to go to bed before midnight this year =o)

18. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

I still haven't adjusted yet. I just had today and yesterday of inservice this week. I only got 4 hours of sleep last night...grrr. I am hoping next week will be better since I will have to be at school by 7:30 everyday.

19. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

I am having the same problem lately. I hope that these upcoming workdays will tire me out so that I can get my body clock readjusted. I'm pregnant and so I can't take all of the prescribed medicines!

20. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2007

I know, right??? (that's what my 17 year old says!!)
    I can't sleep and haven't been able to for the last few days. I 'm staying up until about 2!!! Last night I was able to fall asleep but I woke up at 4:30 am and couldn't get back to sleep again!

I'm just dragging! I hate to see how I feel when I have to wake up early.

21. shouldbeasleep

Aug 18, 2007

My son is nocturnal also. We're both up all night. He thinks a lot of people are but have been "brainwashed" into ignoring their body's natural cycle because businesses won't accomodate them. Doesn't that sound like a typical teenager who loves to argue?
    I heard that John Travolta and some of his kids are also awake all night, and wife Kelly normally goes to bed around 2 or 3.

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2007

Well, I am on my way out. First night on job was okay. I slept 6 hrs when I came home.

I knew this would happen, and have to let you guys know...
    What is up with these folks who drag their kids out to the store at 2 am?? I don't understand this at all? The only reason I would be at a drug store at 2am is to buy medicine, and if I had my kid, she would be in pj's!!

see ya...graveyard shift awaits...

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 18, 2007

My toddler IS nocturnal. He has been so since the day I brought him home from the hospital. He is finally getting a schedule of going to sleep by 11pm. The problem is I don't get a break until then and tend to want to stay up another couple of hours to compensate. Then it takes me another hour to fall asleep (meds). He wears me out!

24. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2007

I got up early all summer for my job. Now that thats over I have about 2 weeks till I go back to school and I have gotten into a horrible sleep pattern! Up till 3 am wake up at 9! Ughh!! I was so good all summer:p

Master - Wow your working full time and taking on a part time job ! I did the grave yard shift a few times and I was always to jittery to even think of falling asleep there! Good Luck :2up:

25. apostle2

apostle2 Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Can't sleep either. Mind is a ping pong. Husband thinks I'm crazy. :eek:

26. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

I was having the same problem this summer. I would lie awake until 12 or 1 and then by morning I wouldn't want to get up with my little boys. I was on Cyclobenzaprine for back problems and that would help me sleep...sometimes. Well, my classroom is almost done so I can get started on lesson plans this coming week and guess what??? I'm falling asleep right away when I go to bed. Thank God! It must have been the stress of knowing all I have to do once I get back to school and now that I'm there and getting it done, sleep is my friend once again.

27. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

I had to go in yesterday to help pass out schedules. I didn't get to sleep until around 1:30 in the morning, maybe a little later, and I got up at 7. I was good in the morning, but by 4 or 5, I was dragging.

They put me closest to the doors where everyone was coming in and stuff, and I got so H-O-T. I couldn't cool off for hours after going home.

I also had to go to the store, and that actually wore me out. I usually like shopping, even if it is for groceries.

Anyway, back to what I planned on saying in the first place. Monday night, I caught my daughter still up at 1 in the morning, watching a movie on my DVD player. She's 3, and she needs to get on a normal little kid's sleeping routine. She told me she couldn't sleep. During school, she'd go to bed around 10 or 10:30, and I'd get her up at 7:15. She's been sleeping like this since I brought her home.

I go back tomorrow for a faculty/staff breakfast, and Friday's a workday. I really REALLY need to get back on a normal sleep schedule, especially after how I felt yesterday. I'm going to try the warm milk with syrup (think hot chocolate) tonight. Maybe it'll help. Another problem I have is too many things running through my head. It's annoying.

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2007

well, I made it! Hardly no more than 50-60 customers the entire two nights. No big crowds. My only fear is somebody trying to rob the place. First thing I did was rip off that tag that said "trainee" under my name! I guess what keeps me going is that darn music playing all night. I probably look like a real idiot on the video tape, putting up things on shelves and singing Elton John, Mariah Carey and Lionel Richie songs at 2am. (I know, at some point, I will memorize the whole tape!) Two people asked me why I looked so happy to be working nights. I dunno, 'cause I have nothing else to do? :eek:hmy:

I had 2nd class tonight...it will definitely be a real doozy...

should be reading tons of stuff... reality has not sunk in yet...

everything in this class is on Blackboard..type, click, mail...
    ah...life is good..

checking syllabus, 4 nights and no class...just type at home...
    how will I be able to avoid AtoZ???? :eek:

29. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 23, 2007

Well, I found my cure to the sleep problem. Just work 12-14 hour days and it'll go away! hehe Let's hope this keeps up. I've been so tired though I fall right asleep around 11 and then my alarm goes off at 5:30 before I know it. Hope everyone finds a cure and I hope this trend keeps up for me.

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2007

you know we have a neighbor who is also up?? See...And I am still Up!

31. Tyland

Tyland Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

I a few evening activities, one being orchestra rehearsal, so when I roll home it's usually after 10:00 and my mind is still in high gear. I often can't fall asleep until after midnight. On my free evenings, I'll sit down to watch something and pass out within 5 minutes. It's a crazy roller coaster. The moral of this story, when you engage your brain late at night, it takes time to unwind; whereas mind-numbing television can render you unconscious (at least for me it does).:D