ugh, bombed an interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Flanny108, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

Apr 25, 2014

I had a panel interview today, and I think I blew it! The principal asked me how I plan a math lesson, and for the life of me, I couldn't remember. :eek: That was the only question he asked me. :( All of the rest came from the other teachers. this was at a school that I really wanted. I have been working so hard to prepare and am just totally bumped. I'm hoping that the rest of my answers were good enough. The good news is that I will find out if I got the job tonight. Now I just have to wait. ugh I HATE this process!

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 25, 2014

You could email a thank you, and say something like:

"I want to clarify my answer to your question about math lessons. I would..."

If the timeline is this tight, what do you have to lose? I might not recommend that to another interviewee, but if they are sitting there trying to decide between you and someone else, that might bump you up.

Otherwise, don't let it get you down. You did what you could in the heat of the moment! If you don't get it, prepare for that question next time. :)

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 25, 2014

we all make mistakes. Good luck. If you don't get the job, prepare that answer.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2014

It happens.

You will be better next time because of it!

6. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

Apr 25, 2014

I always try to prepare for those questions that I bombed in prior interviews. My list is getting rather long. :whistle:

7. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Apr 26, 2014

Don't you hate that? My first job interview for teaching I was asked: "What would you like to teach your students?" I had never prepared for this question because I had never seen it asked anywhere!

"... um, apocalyptic literature?"

The Dean on the English department literally laughed. I was nervous. I had already blown the interview in a hundred different ways. I don't remember what question led to it but earlier I had talked about how I felt education reform was moving us away from teaching canon literature. I wanted to teach more engaging, relevant books than Shakespeare! Oy. The Dean informs me he just got back from a seminar where he was the keynote speaker about why it's still important for teachers to teach the classics. "Oh..."

Now, of course, I would say: "to be global citizens. To learn real-world applications for what they're learning. To write for an audience other than the teacher. To express themselves as individuals." Anything BUT apocalyptic literature.

And "I love Shakespeare!" Rah, rah, rah.