Ugghh..regrets...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AdamnJakesMommy, Dec 7, 2013.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 7, 2013

Okay, now that I've been teaching 4th grade for 2 1/2 months--I am starting to MISS middle school. I feel bad, because I love these kids. Things just move sooooo slow because they need it broken down sooooo much, and I'm the kind of person who likes more material, and a quicker pace.

Since my internship ended last December and I have been employed ever since, I'm still a *new* teacher. I just started in this district in September, leaving the district I interned in and began my teaching career in. When March or April comes around and we do our intents for next year, do you think I should *wait* on expressing interest to return to middle school? There is a middle school right next to my elementary school and I eventually want to transfer up there. But I'm also hesitant about moving around during the first 3, probationary years.

Do you think I should stick it out in 4th grade for the next couple of years, or would it be okay to express interest in middle school?

3. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 7, 2013

I think it'd be worth a try. Is there someone you trust who you can kind of ask about how your district feels about things like this? I can see where you're coming from. There's a huge difference between middle school and 4th grade!

Good luck!

Beth

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2013

I also see nothing wrong in expressing intent in a new position - especially if you are asked - unless it could possibly hurt your current job status since your new/not tenured. Go for it.

Although, you never know, 4th grade might grow on you by the end of the year. You may simply be experiencing "the grass is greener on the other side" moments when you only remember the good about your past position. Or, maybe, you wanted to try 4th grade and now realize its not what you expected. Good luck!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2013

If you still feel the desire to change grades, I would express an interest in changing. I think that desiring to move to the middle school, especially if you can teach math and science is a plus for the district. Middle school math and science teachers tend to be more difficult to find than elementary teachers.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2013

My first three 3 years of teaching were spent in 3 different districts. And moving from kindergarten to high school.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 8, 2013

In my district BTs aren't allowed to request transfers. They have to stay in the same school the first 3 years unless the district itself feels the need to switch you. But if an administrator wants you badly enough, he/she can pull some strings.