Ugg! What an interview!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by doodle70, Jun 19, 2014.

1. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jun 19, 2014

I had 2 interviews lined up this week, first on yesterday went well. :) I was pumped for the one this morning especially since it's 10 minutes from my house.

I get up, get ready, and head out. I have to turn around to avoid the cows in my road (yeah I'm in the country!) and get a little frazzled because it cost me a few minutes. I get to the school in time, P lets me in (didn't know it was the P because she was wearing a t shirt, Capri's, and flip flops!) and I sit and wait. Why am I waiting? Well because they waited until I walked in the door to print the interview questions! :confused:

I finally get in the P's office and she basically tells me she knows nothing about me or my experience (I guess they just called everyone on the list?) so I give her a brief overview and a resume. Start answering questions and she's nodding and writing until I get to one question that I really couldn't answer due to failure to research on my part. But she keeps prompting me and seems irritated that I didn't catch on to what she wanted. :( I try to shake it off and continue and I think other than that one it was OK.

I just found it to be the strangest interview I've ever been on. The P's dress and lack of preparation would make me think twice before accepting an offer if one came, which I sincerely doubt.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 19, 2014

I don't think I would want to work at a school that takes its hiring process that lightly. Your instincts might inform your decisions, should you need to make one.

Granted, for the second interview at my school, one of the assistant principals was barefoot, but I have found he's ALWAYS barefoot and has to be reminded to put on his shoes when he walks out of his office. He was still very kind and waited until after the more formal questions to find out if I'm a hockey fan (I am).

4. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 19, 2014

My very first interview was like that. Two principals dressed down and one was even on their cell phone texting. There was another person on the panel that just looked around the room. No one looked at me or seemed interested. I don't even think they were listening to me. It's a pretty good school district but going though that interview, I don't even think I would want to work with those types of people. So unprofessional!

5. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Jun 19, 2014

You know, it's funny...because on interviews we are expected to look our best, bring our polished resumes and current portfolios and perfected answers...so why shouldn't it work both ways? Why couldn't the principal take the time to look and be prepared to make a good impression on you too? I would be having the same feelings you are about the situation!

I would trust your gut on this one.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 19, 2014

A lot of my interviews involved people who were dressed down, including gym shorts at times. I honestly didn't think twice about it. It was hot (no air) in a lot of the offices and they were there all day while I was only there for an hour.

I also really love that my boss is laid back and we're a casual school :) The most "dressed down" I've ever seen him though is a polo!

The lack of prep would make me much more concerned.

7. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 19, 2014

I just had an interview at a super casual school too!! I felt so out of place being all dressed up. And the principal was very open about not feeling like she was the best informed person to interview a music teacher, but they made sure the music dept head and music teacher who was leaving (maternity leave then coming back for part-time) was there

So, they were very casually dressed though it was field day...but I sort of have the feeling that it's not a super dressed up school normally, the thing is that they were really engaged in the interview and the principal was funny and clearly appreciated the music teacher for all the things she does (she seemed great too) and so I actually left with a very good feeling about the place ha.

8. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jun 19, 2014

I could see field day being casual or even if it was hot inside but this was just strange. School is out and the buildings here are air conditioned so she could have dressed up a bit and then changed. It was just surreal. And that she didn't have a copy of my resume? Did they just get a list of names and numbers from HR and start calling? Very unorganized and just an overall weird vibe.

9. blake

blake Rookie

Jun 19, 2014

I interviewed at my current school two years ago. My interview was scheduled for 8am at the end of June in 2012. I arrived and the principal and AP (both male) had on jeans and a school t-shirt. They did not have questions at all! Both of them just had a yellow legal pad and a pen. Seriously. They didn't even have a copy of my resume or application. They asked me to see my resume and then had me tell about myself while they looked over my resume. They made up questions off the top of their head. I probably answered maybe 5 or 6 questions and somehow the rest was just casual chit chat. I left at 8:25 and got home around 9:00. At 9:30 the schools phone number popped up on my phone and it was the principal offering me a position.

I've worked here for 2 years and it was the best school! The kids were awesome, parents were super supportive, and we have the best rating. We are one of the best elementary schools in the district.

Long story short....I don't think what they are wearing during the summer time or how they didn't have the questions printed out are things to worry about. After the school year started I never saw my principal in jeans again and my school runs like a well-oiled machine!

I will be at a new school next year, but not because I didn't like my school, just because I'm a lot closer to home.

Good luck!!! :)

10. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jun 19, 2014

I had an interview once - not in a school, this was a corporate job - where I showed up on time and they made me wait like a half hour. Then they asked me to go get a cup of coffee down the street and come back in an hour because the manager was occupied. So I did that, came back, they made me wait longer, then after about 10 minutes talking to her, someone came and pulled her out of the interview with me.

Oddly, I got the job, then left after six months. Turned out, the interview day wasn't unusual for her. It was impossible to carry on a conversation with this woman. She'd schedule phone meetings with the team. Everyone would be on the conference call, she'd tell us to wait a minute and we'd hear her furiously typing and answering emails. Face to face was the same thing. You'd be sitting there waiting to talk to her at a meeting she'd scheduled and she'd make you wait while she took care of other things.

Point is...an interview is a chance for both parties to get an idea of what to expect. If you got bad vibes, move on.

11. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Jun 19, 2014

Well I'd just remember that an interview is there for them to get to know you, but also for you to get to know them. Trust your gut!

12. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 20, 2014

I agree with jen12 and teachinnola on the trust your gut/bad vibe thing

13. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jun 20, 2014

So today I'm debating sending a thank you note. It might be an unorganized school, maybe not, but a potential job is a potential job right now. Double ugg!

14. history

history Companion

Jun 20, 2014

It is possible that someone has been picked for the job, but the principal has to go through the motions, this happens a lot.:eek:

15. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jun 20, 2014

Yeah I know, I was in an interview once and the principal said something about checking references that morning. I'd rather my time not be wasted.

16. history

history Companion

Jun 20, 2014

I have not started the interviewing process yet, but find it amazing how some people claim it took them four years to land a job.
    1. The location must be flooded with applicants (the state) and little openings.
    2. Applicant is so young that he/she is not what the school is looking for.
    I know you need the following to land a job:
    It is who you know
    It is who you know
    It is who you know
    AND
    even then you are not guaranteed a job:mad:

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 20, 2014

I dunno, I think that would be exactly the kind of principal I would be comfortable with. The printing of questions, eh maybe that's a red flag, but I also know what goes into getting a school ready for classes, and it's a long process.

For example, if I visited my former school right now, I know my former principal would be in shorts and a work shirt, because he would likely be in between helping the custodians take down the light fixtures for cleaning, reading to kids in the library during summer reading, and weeding the garden out back. He would be running back and forth to his office, answering the phone, because the secretaries are given vacation time during the summer, so he does their jobs as well. He will be there all morning, then he goes home for the afternoon (he has a big community garden that he maintains), and would probably be back in the evening to supervise summer weight lifting.

Granted, he would probably throw on a polo if he knew he had an interview, but I don't think I would judge the book by its proverbial cover, know what I mean?

18. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jun 20, 2014

I'd agree with the who you know but I had 2 interviews last summer with people who either I knew from school or a family member were good friends with. But of the people hired over me they both came from families that were 'leaders' in the communities.

Oh well, that perfect one will come along.

19. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jun 20, 2014

I guess I shouldn't but it just seemed strange that she was so dressed down and the interview the day before (same district) they were all (4) dressed up. I'm sending my thank you and crossing my fingers, if I were to get it I'd do my best and if it was horrible I'd look next year. I could do anything (and have) for a year.

20. history

history Companion

Jun 20, 2014

I guess that Iam different than most as I do not have a family holding back from relocating to any where in my state for a job. I am also willing to start out working for a private school.

21. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jun 20, 2014

Oh if I could move I'd be somewhere where they are hiring. Being a single parent makes me leery of moving far away from family. I might have to bite the bullet and do it anyway.