Ug... back to school time.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissFroggy, Aug 5, 2009.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 5, 2009

I used to be so excited to go back to school. I would already be working and working away at my classroom.

This year- blah. I am SO not interested in doing anything. I am looping with half my class and getting new kids (combo 2/3 class) and looking forward to seeing some of my kids again. However, the motivation and enthusiasm is just not there this year.

How do you get yourself excited???

(Last year was a BAD year for me for various reasons so that may have something to do with it... but I don't know what to do about it.) I have a very hard group and a parent from hell so that is part of it.

3. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 5, 2009

I'm sorry about your rough year. Hopefully your newcomers will be smart, polite and well-behaved and bring with them wonderful parents. :)

I get myself excited by thinking how I am going to improve things from previous years. I have to admit, though, I am nervous as 1st grade complained about their three classes all year.

Good luck!

4. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 5, 2009

I'm excited because this is my first full year of teaching. We just got a new principal. I may not be teaching 4th grade. It is hard to plan when I don't know what grade I'll be teaching.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 5, 2009

Miss Froggy - I was in the same boat last year. I had a horrible class the year before and was dreading the 1st day of school. Last year, very unexpectantly, was the most amazing year ever.

Maybe the parent spent the summer at a spa and now is relaxed and calm. You know some of your students already, but they might have matured some over the summer and spent all day every day in the library ;). You never know, it might be a once-in-a-lifetime class for you this upcoming year as well!

6. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

Miss Froggy - I feel exactly the same. Rough year last year is leading me to not want to deal with the politics again this year.

The one thing that has really helped me through this summer has been this site! Getting new ideas, listening to other's successes and not-so-successes and sharing my experiences has really made me remember why I love teaching. My new plan is to go in and focus on my classroom, my students and stay away from the office!!!

7. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2009

I'm ready for school to start ..... I've already gotten requests to sub from teachers who know some of the days they will be gone.

Of course I will be "vacationing" in Florida for the first week and a half of school.....:D:D

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 5, 2009

Oh Miss Froggy, :hugs: First of all you don't have to be as excited as you were the first year you taught. The longer you teach sometimes the harder it is to go back, some years it's just going to be very hard.

First of all calculate how much money you actually make per hour, count contracted time only.

Figure how much money it actually takes you to live, calculate all your bills. Hope this isn't too depressing and I hope you have some dollars left over after paying your bills.

We have to work unless you're independently wealthy, for this year, right now, you have a contract, some little kid out there is laying awake at night hoping you love them and want to teach them.

Don't let one bad parent steal your happiness, I'd smother the bad parent with kindness.

You're a great teacher, seasoned, with a lot to offer, no one can teach your class better than you can.

Pull yourself up by your bootstraps, you can do this and you'll do a great job.

Get up in the mornings, look in the mirror, and tell yourself, "I have a valuable job, I teach the future presidents, doctors, and teachers."

I've been where you are, this will pass, don't give anyone permission to steal your joy! :hugs:

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2009

This is my 16th year and this is the first year I'm truly not excited about going back. I'm sure it will improve. I keep telling myself that.
    Kim

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 5, 2009

I'm hoping that once I get back into the classroom and start setting stuff up, I'll feel better. But I'm definitely in the summer mode: go to bed late, read anything I want to, wake up late, lounge around in pjs all day. :)

I am excited that I'll get another chance to do better than last year and I honestly do love working in my subject field with kids.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 5, 2009

I don't blame you guys! I've been a sub for a while & have only taught special ed for 1 year & already tired of it. I'm glad I'm back in college to switch gears to speech pathology.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 5, 2009

I am not as enthusiastic as I usually am- I think I am still very much mentally exhausted from the end of last year when everything was hectic. Not the students necessarily, but other things. However, I know things will be sensational once it all begins. I know most of the kids I am receiving, and that does uplift me a lot. :)

13. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

I think many of us think this way too so don't be scared. I know that I lose that feeling immediately though when the first day finally rolls around and you see all the kiddos all dressed up for school.

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2009

School starts tomorrow...and I'm glad I read this post. It was a difficult preplanning day--all day meeting, thinking a team member was upset with me, principal upset because of something our team did, and just plain tired.

Kids coming on a Thursday, and I'd rather have the weekend to rest up and get mentally ready....

BUT, it is what it is and they'll be here tomorrow, so I am going to change my attitude and walk in tomorrow with a big grin on my face. I love standing in the hallway as athey come in our door from the bus loop and smiling and greeting all the kids, from kindergarten to 5th. I love making their day start off with a big welcome. And that's what I need to remember to do tomorrow.

If you make yourself be happy, you can get there.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

I was also having a difficult time getting pumped up for this year. I'm having an extremely difficult time dealing with the fact that I don't have a CLASS this year. I don't have CO-WORKERS. I don't have all that STUFF that I normally do. It's terrifying and sad and hard to see all the great things that I DO have.

Thinking about the physical set-up of the room has me a bit more excited, though. I needed to find something familiar-everything was too new and overwhelming. Maybe you are the opposite-because you are getting many of the same students in the same room, you need to find the NEW this year?

16. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2009

I am so tired! I came home from school on Friday and told myself that I was going to sleep in Saturday morning. I fell asleep on my bed around 4:00--just a quick nap I told myself, then I'd get up and fix dinner.

Next thing I knew it was 7:30 and I was mad because I wanted to sleep in. It took me about an hour to figure out that it was 7:30 Friday night instead of 7:30 Saturday morning.

Just so tired!!!!

But the kids are nice--no boogers in my room and just a few in the other rooms. They were walking the edges of the basketball court outside during recess on the first day of school. I didn't know whether to feel sorry for them or laugh.

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 9, 2009

This part of the post almost had me bawling. It is so true. No matter the type of school you teach in, there is always at least one little kid who needs you to be the consistent, loving, kind part of his/her life because your classroom is the only place in that child's life where he/she is going to get it.