U.S. Constitution exam

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Mrs.S, Aug 17, 2005.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 6, 2009

Interesting, TeacherJoe, and thanks.

snapdrygon, welcome to A to Z!

2. natsume

natsume Rookie

May 7, 2009

Thanks teacherjoe! I just found this thread, and that is exactly a question I was going to pose. So far, the only online option I had found, granted, without much looking, was UCSD Extension's three week online course/exam, at $175, offered a number of times a year.
    Your suggestion seems a bit more expedient. (And much cheaper.)

Is anybody aware of other online options?

3. tmoch

tmoch New Member

Dec 17, 2010

Hennessey Book vs. Cullop Book - US Constit. Test

Hi there, I just heard Long Beach Uni. does not offer the US Constit. Test and I have signed up at Chapman. They use different books, do you think I can use the one I bought for the Long Beach site and still pass?

Thanks for the feedback....

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 17, 2010

Evidently Chapman uses the test that goes with Floyd Cullop's book Constitution of the US: An Introduction; CSULB used the test that goes with the Hennessy book. There will probably be a question or two in the test at Chapman that's geared to the emphases of the Cullop book, but I wouldn't expect much divergence (and bear in mind that passing is 38 correct out of 50). If you wanted to hedge bets, study well from the book you've got but see if you can locate a copy of the Cullop book and look it over before you test.

5. ShaketheTree

ShaketheTree New Member

Aug 5, 2011

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but with all the spotty information on the US Constitution exam, this thread has become one of the top Google search results. I thought I'd help improve it by adding 2 recent available exam options in Southern California:

LA County Office of Education
    (562) 922-6798
    * $70 Cashier's Check made out to LACOE is the only form of payment, unfortunately
    * You are allowed to bring 1 page of handwritten notes
    * There is a study site that contains 110 questions, 72 of which will be on the test itself
    * Located in Downey, CA
    * Call ahead, test is offered any day M-F

UCLA Extension
    (310) 825-4581
    * $80
    * Test offered on MONDAYS only @ 2:30PM
    * Hennessey's book is the study guide
    * 75 questions, true or false
    * Located in Westwood

From what I have read, California just changed the US Constitution requirement in 2 ways:
    1: The exam itself will no longer be accepted after Jan 1st, 2013. You will have to take an acceptable US Constitution course instead.
    2: The US Constitution requirement has had its "due date" moved to "within your first 2 years of teaching" so it can be completed while you do BTSA.

Good luck ;)

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 5, 2011

Thanks for posting, and welcome to A to Z!

7. coach2learn

coach2learn New Member

Aug 15, 2011

Hi,

I have used this board so many times to gain information, pass my math csets and now to figure out how to take this history exam.

If "Shakethetree" gets this post, I'm curious what links they found out about the constitution test moving and course requirements. Can you post them?

Thank heaven for everyone on here!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 15, 2011

It turns out that ShakeTheTree's information is not quite correct. See http://www.ctc.ca.gov/notices/coded/2011/1101.pdf.

The short version is this: It will still be possible to fulfill the US Constitution requirement by examination. What is changing is that, starting in 2013, the examination - which must be a college-level examination - must now be taken "in" a university or college and meet that institution's standards for an exam suited to a two-semester-unit US constitution course.

I have "in" in quotation marks because the CTC document notes that a school district or county office of education may partner with a college or university to offer that college's or university's US constitution exam.

Online examinations that don't have this kind of college or university imprimatur will not be accepted.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  9. coach2learn

coach2learn New Member

Aug 21, 2011

Thanks for clarification...makes sense. I ordered the Cullop book which goes with the test at Chapman. It is a fast read and its like reading something and saying "oh thats right!). I'm planning to make an appt. to take it right after Sept. CSETs which I'm trying to add physics to my math. Really love physics and would like to teach it one day. We'l see how it goes!

Back to Schaums College Physics prep (it all is coming back! Chapter 5!)

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 21, 2011

People who notice "it all is coming back!" tend to do just fine on these exams, coach2learn.

Let us know how it goes, please.

11. Oakland75

Oakland75 New Member

Feb 6, 2012

Hi,
    Im taking the U.S Constitution test through the Alameda County Office of Education, and i got the 25 lessons in citizenship at the library. That is the only book the the Alameda County Office of Education website recommends reading in preparation, but can anyone recommend additional reading/preparation materials or study guides/practice exams? Did anyone find the constitution exam to be extremely difficult even with sufficient studying?
    Thanks!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 6, 2012

You could certainly prepare more if you want to Oakland75, and in that case I'd think of this as part of your preparation for CSET-MS Subtest I.

Look for middle-school or high-school Web pages on the Constitution, or you could rummage around Richard Byrne's remarkable Free Technology for Teachers (http://www.freetech4teachers.com) and see if he hasn't got something useful for you.

13. amy12386

amy12386 New Member

Mar 21, 2012

Cal State San Bernadino US Constitution Test

Hi!

I am taking the Cal State San Bernadino US Constitution test ONLY. They offer the course, video and test, but I live so far away, I am only going to take the test. I have read many other posts about schools other than CSUSB...has anyone ever taken the US Constitution test there? The suggested material for the test are:

American Government (eighth edition) by James Q. Wilson and John J. Dilulio, Jr. ( Chapters 2 and 11)
    The Founding of the Democratic Republic by Martin Diamond. ( Chapters 2, 3, 4)

However, they do not have those books available at the library and I'd rather not purchase them if I don't have to...they are pretty expensive. Has anyone taken the test and used one of the other reading materials recommended in this discussion for example:

Hennessey's Twenty-five Lessons in Citizenship, 2004 edition, ISBN 1879773066

Floyd Cullop's The Constitution of the United States, an Introduction , 1969 edition, ISBN 0451627245

The United States Constitution Study Guide by Academic Solutions, Inc. ISBN 0-9740200-2-8c

Those seem to be the most popular study guides. Thanks for your help!!!!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 21, 2012

The US Constitution tests tend to be fairly closely aligned to whatever prep materials are recommended for them. From the looks of the information on the university Web site, it appears that this might be an entirely homegrown test. It's being packaged as a challenge test - not just a test to satisfy a requirement, but a test that stands in for a university course - so it's likely to be more rigorous than, say, the San Diego County Office of Education test that's based on the Cullop book. On the other hand, it's untimed but is supposed to take about an hour; this suggests some limit to the depth into which it goes.

The chances are that you can find the tables of contents for the Wilson and Diamond books online. You could then check your library for college-level American government books that cover the same ground and study the related chapters, or search online.

15. rbwood

rbwood New Member

May 28, 2012

California teacher test on the U.S. Constitution

I took a class on the constitution at American River College. We used The United States Constitution Study Guide by Academic Solutions. The study guide was very good. I think you could probably use it to study for any of the certification tests.

16. Nancy2002

Nancy2002 Guest

Dec 28, 2017

I know this is five years later but how was the test at CSUSB? i will be taking it in two months. What study guide did you end up buying? Five years later and CSUSB has not changed their suggested reading material.

17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 28, 2017

There’s a much easier way.

Take it at http://www.usconstitutionexam.com/#2734.

I completed the course in like 2 hours, I think. This is accepted by the California CTC.