Typos

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Beth2004, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 11, 2007

There have been MANY discussions (and arguments) on here in the past about incorrect spelling, grammar, and having an over abundance of typos. One thing that has been mentioned many times (often by Mamacita) is businesses that have incorrect spelling or grammar in their signage or advertisements. Well, I got an email yesterday from a wedding photographer that I have been looking into. This was an email that she forwarded to many of her potential clients and after reading it I immediately thought of all of you on this board! I'm actually not considering hiring her anymore after receiving this unprofessional email. Take a look....

Dear Bride to be...

First I want to say congradulations! Now that you have found your DREAM MAN it's finally time to plan the first of many Wonderful,Special, BEAUTIFUL DAY's. Your WEDDING DAY! You have spent your whole life thinking about it...Have you deceided: simple, elegant, classy, glamouris, romantic, or a combination? Well what ever you have choosen for your Wedding day ****** Images, would like to help you caputure and remember every special moment.
    At ***** Images you will receive quality everlasting portraits that tell the story of your specail day over and over again.
    Whether your on a budget or sky's the limit make ******* Images your chose in photography.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 11, 2007

Ok Beth, maybe you should email her back and tell her there is a rat in congratulations. And goodness can she have made any more mistakes. I have to admit my spelling stinks. But when I send out a letter for a job, I make sure it doesn't have any typos.

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2007

That is just sad!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 11, 2007

She sure wouldn't get my business.

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2007

Beth,

Why not send an email back and tell her to proofread her work. Yes, we all make mistakes, but there are just too many grammatical errors for it to be considered an oversight. :eek:

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 11, 2007

I feel bad for her.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2007

I do to. She is some young gal maybe just starting out and trying to make a go of it. I would possibly go to the store and see what they have to offer and take her aside and nicely let her know.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2007

I would email her back and let her know. You would be doing her a HUGE favor.

She may be a wonderful photographer, but she's bound to lose a LOT of potential clients. I for one would never hire her; I would certainly be concerned about her lack of attention to detail.

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 11, 2007

I may email her back to let her know. She wasn't my top choice to begin with, but I had emailed back and forth with her to inquire about her services. I still can't get over the amount of errors in the email. The worst part is, spell check would have caught most of them! It definitely shows a lack of attention to detail.

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2007

Wow. I'm not a stickler when it comes to grammar, but even I think that's pretty bad. Beth, you are right about spellcheck and lack of attention to detail. One typo I could see, or ones that spellcheck wouldn't catch. But all those??? Yikes!

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 12, 2007

I'm not usually a major stickler either, but that email was pretty bad. I mean, honestly, spell check would have caught: congradulations, deceided, glamouris, caputure, choosen, and specail. It wouldn't have helped with "your" instead of "you're" or "chose" instead of "choice" but it would've helped a little at least!

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 12, 2007

Spell check wouldn't help the fragments and run-ons. Could you rewrite her ad and email it back to her? This lady needs a lot of help or she won't be in business too long.