Typing or writing on paper-grades 3-6

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nstructor, Jun 3, 2019.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jun 3, 2019

Do you do both of these with your students when they write essays? I teach grades 3-6 and wondered which you prefer with your students in these grades.

3. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Jun 3, 2019

I, typically, have my students handwrite their writing assignments. (We do have access to computers, but handwriting is preferred for grading purposes.)
    However, typing is generally a better option because it is easier to remove mistakes, increases productivity, makes the thought process a lot easier, is simply more efficient in writing, and allows for students to practice an important 21st century skill.

Backroads likes this.
  4. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Jun 3, 2019

I agree with the above poster, we do 90% of essay hand written and 10% typed bu I feel like I need to get more like 60/40 to prepare that kids for SBAC and the 21st century. But we dont have 1-to-1 devices so having more typed essay would be rough.

I teach 3rd

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 4, 2019

I think it's easier for kids to think and plan when it's on paper, but I plan to do more typed essays next year because of SBAC as well. I notice students skipping things like capitals and periods when typing that they do not typically miss when writing out assignments. Perhaps next year, they will do their rough draft and editing on paper and then type the final draft.

One bonus of online work is that it is far easier for me to keep track of and grade.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2019

I prefer marking work that has been submitted electronically. Not only is it easier to read, but I can comment much more quickly when typing than I can writing. It also helps to cut down on the mountains of paper that accumulate on my desk! A downfall, for me, is that I find students tend to plagiarize more frequently when working on the computer than they do when writing something by hand.

Backroads likes this.
  7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2019

I do a mix of both, at least in terms of publishing. Though a vast majority of the time, even for the SBAC, they're starting on paper.

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 4, 2019

Is that a school-wide practice?

Some of our students did that this year but not very many from what I saw. Our school discourages it but offers it as an option, due to the extra time it takes to write and then type. It seems like students would do better if starting on paper.

9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 4, 2019

Our district has 1:1 devices in grades 3-6, so most lengthy writing assignments are completed in Google Docs. Some shorter assignments are as well. I even had my students switch to a blog format for reading response rather than having them keep a handwritten reading response journal. I'm not sure what best practice is, but it is often easier for some of us to grade their work electronically. I think it's also important for them to practice typing, since that's likely how their lengthier assignments will be completed as they get older.

nstructor likes this.
  10. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2019

Much of our intermediate suggests to kids that they start on the yellow scratch paper...especially the planning process (and for most the drafting process, too.) Some are more particular about it, but I just point out the benefits throughout the year of it, and those that do do, and those that don't are usually ones that would be best to start by typing, anyways. For many, it really gets them to slow down and actually put time into the revising/editing process - rather than finishing typing it, pressing the ABC button to check spelling, then being ready to submit. We do the PT over the course of 2 decently full days.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 6, 2019

Grades 3-4, handwritten. Grade 5, mostly handwritten, with a couple of typed pieces to get the whole publishing on the computer thing off on the right foot. Grade 6 will have considerably more typed work to hand in, but some handwritten work is absolutely necessary, and I'll tell you my rationale. Handwritten work is highly likely to be the child's own work, while typed work may be from anyone - the friend next door, an older sibling, or the parents. Seen it all occur. When you have handwritten work to compare the typed work to, you have a much better idea about whether or not the work you are grading was generated by the child in question.

CherryOak likes this.
  12. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 6, 2019

The vast majority of our 3-4 students don’t know how to log into their work from home... and they wouldn’t even if they knew how. They only work on it at school, and it’s pretty clear that it is their work. Only the students in the gifted program learn how to log in to their account from home.

I don’t disagree that opportunities for handwritten work are necessary, but I don’t think that fear of someone else doing their work is the reason for it in third and fourth grades. At that age, it’s more that they are still developing good handwriting skills and need practice with proper spacing, capitalization, and use of punctuation. They need practice with those things on a computer, too, so I think it’s important for them to have both opportunities.

13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 6, 2019

Parents doing the work/typing for students at my school is commonplace. I plan to have students do more typed assignments, but I intend to have students type more at school than at home for this reason.

14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 6, 2019

We don’t ever expect our third and fourth graders to do typing assignments at home. We have 1:1 devices at school, but they don’t get to take them home. Many of our families don’t have devices or internet at home. We also don’t expect long handwritten assignments to be completed at home in those grades. All of that work is done at school. So, maybe it’s just our school, but fear of parents doing writing work for third and fourth graders isn’t an an issue. If it were, removing the typing component wouldn’t solve the problem. I have a few students whose parents scribe for them due to dyslexia or OT issues anytime even minimal handwriting is required for homework. If I expected long writing assignments, it would definitely be turned in with the parents’ handwriting, regardless of who did the thinking.

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 6, 2019

Just to be clear, at the 3-4 level, I'm not very concerned about someone else doing their work. I would just like them to spend more time practicing handwriting skills, learning how to use a dictionary, etc. If they are learning cursive, this is where they need to be building those skills. In grade 5, handwritten work doesn't seem to be as littered with texting abbreveations when written out. The more they can write with the understanding that a keystroke doesn't make it a text, the better for them in the long run. Grades 5 and 6, here, tend to be in Middle School. They get substantial opportunities to use their computer skills at school in a variety of classes. I like the suggestion that more of the typed assignments be done in school versus home.

We have threads about students cheating by copying other people's work, and parents doing the student's work. My feeling is that we should do as much as possible to make sure we are getting authentic work unless we have thrown in the towel and don't care. Honestly, I am more concerned about who is doing the work for a writing project because you are teaching the concepts of planning, doing a draft, rewrites, checking for and fixing mistakes, and proofing the final product. If they don't learn the steps, they will be at a disadvantage going into High School. I simply want them to be as prepared as possible, so they have a real chance at success. Taking the longer road isn't as easy, so why make it easier tor them to rationallize that only the last paper matters? IMO, that grade should also contain grades for these middle steps that are building the writer's skill set. I think this is true no matter what the subject matter, but I know that it is a train of thought that has changed over time.

bella84 likes this.
  16. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Jun 6, 2019

6th graders at my school have county issued iPads so almost all assignments (even math worksheets) are done and submitted digitally. This is especially helpful when group work is being done on google.