type of listening center?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Emerson Squirl, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Dec 1, 2011

Those of you out there that have a listening center- what type do you have (tape, cd, other) and what do you like about it? I would like to purchase one for my classroom but I'm wondering about the pros and cons. Ideally I would like to be able to record books and other readings, possible using the same piece of equipment. I would also like to have something that is cost efficient since the listening library will be continuously expanding. What else should I take into consideration with this purchase?
    Thanks for your help!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2011

I use one of my computers for my listening center. We have garage band so I can make records that I save into a listening center file. My students can either use CDs or the garage band file to use the listening center.

4. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Dec 2, 2011

Mopar, you never let me down with your responses! I wish I could just set up a computer, but I don't have any student computers in my room. That option would be my first pick, but with the way the room is set up even using my computer would be tricky.:unsure:

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2011

I've used a CD player in my last school and it worked well. CDs seemed to be easier to come by because most new books were put on CDs, but tapes were cheaper. Tapes were also easier to record on.

Another option might be to use a kindle, if you have access to them in your building. We have a few of them.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 2, 2011

I have always preferred to have a few CD players with 2-3 pairs of headphones each. I have a splitter for each CD player so more than one child can listen at a time. I use ones similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Emerson-PD654...Q51E/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1322877276&sr=8-8

I know some teachers use individual CD players, but this system has always worked well for me. I get the books on CD from Scholastic, and from our school library. Public libraries should also have some available. It's nice when you can find multiple copies of the books, too.

I do a lot of training on how to choose books, handle the CD's carefully, take turns turning the pages, etc. I very rarely have a management problem. We go over the routines every day for about a week before I even let them touch the listening center.

Also, I really don't like using tapes. I have tried them before, but the kids have a difficult time remembering to rewind, knowing which side it should be on, etc.