Tying Shoes

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by JenPooh, Feb 2, 2007.

1. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

At what age do you think is appropriate for a child to know how to tie their shoes? At what age do you see children learning to tie their shoes most often?

3. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 2, 2007

By 5/6 years old at the latest. I am a camp counselor for 5 year olds and most of them know how tye their shoes.

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 2, 2007

I agree. Usually by the end of kindergarten.

Related side story:
    When my friends daughter was in kindergarten, I jokingly told her that they wouldn't let her into first grade if she didn't know how to tie her shoes. She learned over that same weekend.

5. JenL

JenL Comrade

Feb 2, 2007

i believe it should be something that happens by the end of kindergarten but i teach first and at the beginning of the year i had some kids that didn't know.

6. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Feb 2, 2007

I would say by the end of first to the beginning of second grade a child should know how to tie their shoelacings.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

I have a good majority that come into kinder that don't know how to tie their shoes. I still will have a few at the end of the year who can't do it. I would say that by first grade, MOST should have mastered it.

8. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

Feb 2, 2007

As a side note, I think parents should teach their kids to tie shoes, not teachers!

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

Oh definitely! I don't teach them, but I DO remind parents often that it is important to keep working on that skill with their child.

10. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Feb 2, 2007

It is halfway through the school year and about half my first graders still cannot tie their shoes. Parents would rather just buy slip on shoes or velcro than have to teach this skill...so it seems. I understand it is easier but there is a point when you need to do the right thing..even if it isn't as "easy"

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 2, 2007

I totally agree, and I think parents should teach them how to zip! There is a section on the report card that includes If the child can dress themself. When a parent asks about this I always mention tying shoes and zipping!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2007

I tied A LOT of shoes in K. In second grade I expect they know how but some still aren't really good at it- I tell them to find another second grader to tie their shoes for them- usually gets them motivated to learn how quickly....

13. totallybusy

totallybusy Rookie

Feb 2, 2007

The average child will have it mastered tieing their shoes by the beginning of grade one. It has been seen that kids diagnosed with learning disabilities later in life often times have trouble with tying shoes, zipping coats, right and left, riding bike etc... in the younger years. Even though it isn't our job to tie shoes lets not be to harsh on the 6/7 year old who just can't get it. Their self esteem may mean everything a little later in life.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2007

Who is being harsh? I would NEVER not help a child with disabilities....Children do, however, need to be convinced that they are CAPABLE. Me tying their shoes just does not send that message in grade 2.

15. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

Thanks everyone. The reason I ask is because I have been working with my son on tying his shoes. He's 4 1/2. But he's not really getting it yet. He has great fine motor skills too so I thought he'd be ready. I wanted to make sure I wasn't sweating over it if he was still pretty young. He knows how to zip, button, and everything else, but he can't quite get the tying of the laces. He may just need more time. I just don't want to push the issue if it's not a big deal yet.

On a side note, I also believe it's the parents job, not the teachers. I don't work with my preschoolers at all. Parents have to be responsible for things like that, IMO. Tanner still wears velcro, but I have a pair of laced shoes that we keep working with. They are Spiderman so I told him once he gets the hang of it, he can wear them. I'm hoping that will be motivation for him to keep trying. :D

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

Hopefully before he outgrows them. :D

17. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Feb 3, 2007

I have some second and third graders who cant tie their own laces - so they are often walking round with untied laces trailing. I dont know what the parents are doing so I will probably have to teach them sometime - one more job for the teacher :(

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 3, 2007

In the beginning (2-3 months into school) we sent out our weekly newsletter. At the bottom is a special section called "First Grade Skills" and it lists learning to tie shoes. It seemed to help. Many times parents don't think much about it or don't even realize that they are at the age where they should be able to tie shoes.

As far as the 3rd grader that has trailing laces...Can the child actually NOT tie shoes or just too lazy to tie shoes? Have you asked the child to ask mom and dad to teach him how (repeatedly)?
    Also if it isn't embarrassing some of my students learn because other students taught them!

19. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2007

I had a fifth grader who couldn't tie his shoes once. His mom had always done it for him. I nipped that in the bud really quick. Could you imagine what would have happened to him in middle school :rolleyes:

20. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 3, 2007

I totally agree with you, czacza. I always tell the kids to find someone that knows how. They then chase the others kids around the playgroud to help them tie thier shoes. AND...it does motivate them to learn to do it themselves. I don't think it's harsh or mean, they need to learn. I have a boy who is very bright (being tested for the gifted program) who didn't learn to tie his shoes until this year (second grade). His mother always did it for him.

My son's K teacher always told the kids that she didn't tie shoes after Christmas. My son knew how but he was very worried about the others who didn't.:)

21. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Feb 3, 2007

Both of my daughters, who are very intelligent kids, with no learning disabilities, did not tie their shoes until 2nd grade. Not for lack of practice or help on my part... they just did not learn until late. In their district, policy was teachers would tie shoes in Kindergarten, but after that would not help.

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 3, 2007

I knew two brothers (3rd and 5th graders) who couldn't tie AT ALL. I refused to tie thier shoes though. they had just never been taught. One day I told them they could go play during free time once they learned how to tie their shoes. Didn't work because the parents just went out and bought the velcro shoes.

23. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 3, 2007

I hope so. I happend to buy them one size bigger than he normally wears. Hopefully he'll get to wear them by this summer or his first day of school next year! :D I'll just pray he isn't bigger than that size by then.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2007

It's getting later than it used to be, thanks to all the sneakers with Velcro closures. They're a busy mom's lifesaver, but they do tend to let you postpone the tie-the-shoes lesson.

25. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Feb 3, 2007

Velcro let my family let me not learn until I was 8. I didn't have any disability; for some reason I just didn't get it! (I learned to swim that year also, taking into account we lived where it never snows.)

26. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 3, 2007

I can't remember when I learned how tie my shoes but I do remember having a shoe my parents bought to help me practice.

27. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 3, 2007

I specifially remember learning how to tie my shoes when I was 5. I was listening to that cheerios commercial that went to that one song (me and you, and you and me,.... so happy together... and that's where I forget how the song). Ahhhh, memories. :love:

28. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Feb 4, 2007

Jen you can make a shoe pattern out of that plastic canvas stuff and put a ribbon or shoe lace in it. Try different ways of teaching too, the bunny ears are easier to some. Where you make both laces into loops and duck one under the other.

There is an episode of Ciau that tought one of my kids how to do it, I was so happy too, because I felt like it had become a battle between he and I. But sometimes when he is sloppy and doesn't tie very tight and we end up stopping a lot for him to tie them............ his little sister waves her finger at him and ties them tight for him.

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 4, 2007

I think by the end of kindergarten. Of course my second grader and fourth grader can't tye their shoes.

30. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2007

I used to have a director who thought all the 4 and 5 year olds should be able to tie their shoes because her daughter tied her shoes when she was 3. I don't teach it. That's for at home and I tell the kids to practice while watching t.v. I've had some who learned and would try and teach their friends. Personally, I love velcro and slip ons. They aren't going to grow up without learning it at one point or another, so I don't stress it at all.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2007

After a while, the velcro sneakers start to look babyish to those very sophisticated 6 and 7 year olds, so they all want to learn. At that point it's easy.

32. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 4, 2007

This topic got me to thinking so I included a note for the parents in my newsletter this week: "If your child is unable to zip their coats, and tie their shoes now is a good time to start practicing!"
    Not too mean of me is it?

33. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2007

There are some very stylish slip ons that are not too babyish for the older kids. They look a lot better than the shoes strings hanging all over the place. I even have a pair of tennis shoes that have "fake laces." They make them for kids of all ages and eliminate the shoe strings being a problem.

34. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Feb 4, 2007

I always thought that late four's or early kindergarten was the time to learn to tie shoes. But I have more and more three's who tie. When I first started teaching, I told a dad to NOT try to teach his 3 y/o to tie. Now, every year, I have 3 or 4 three-year-olds who can tie. My son was 8 when he learned, and we had that tie-your-shoe book and everything.

35. tcollom

tcollom Rookie

Feb 4, 2007

I agree to that! I feel like I'm taking care of laces on a continuous basis in my K classroom

36. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Feb 4, 2007

My older kids started tying their shoes by the time they were 4 years old, but continued to get FRUSTRATED at school because the shoes wouldn't stay tied. (They would have to stop playing in order to tie their shoes or lag behind in line.)

So, I took tie shoes away from being worn at school, and only let them wear velcro, zipper, and slip-on shoes until they felt comfortable tying their shoes ALL DAY long. (They were allowed to wear tie shoes at home and for short trips out.)

By the time they learned to not get FRUSTRATED at being told to tie their shoes, they were in 2nd grade.

37. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2007

This is more or less how I feel too. I also don't want his teacher to have to tie his shoes for him (I know it would be a pain for him/her to tend to that all day), so until he knows how he wont wear them to school. I have the same rule in my daycare. No ties unless the kids know how to do it themselves, because I want the kids in my preschool to be able to get ready themselves when we go outside.

38. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2007

I wear athletic shoes everyday for PE and even my shoes have
    problems staying tied. I think it depends on the fit and type of
    shoe string they come with. Well, I worked with a lady for many many years (librarian) and she would say "Steve, your shoe is untied" and I would reply "I am waiting for both to come untied to save time when I tie them" :)

39. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2007

I agree Grammy. I don't teach my preschool kids either. Their own parents can handle that since we are busy teaching them many other things at school. I personally love the slip ons with the bungee cords myself. Only problem is our older cat has a fetish for chewing on them...GRRR. They stay on my son's feet real nice though. Velcro seems to wear down easily with him for some reason and I end up replacing them constantly.

40. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 5, 2007

Not trying to hijack this thread, but last year I had a fourth grader who did not know how to use the phone to call home!

41. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Feb 5, 2007

Has anyone noticed that the composition of shoe laces has changed over the years? Instead of the nice cottony laces that stay tied, now shoes come with a more of a nylon type of lace, that is more slippery, and comes open faster!