Tx jobs near the coast?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by iloveschool, May 6, 2012.

1. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

May 6, 2012

Anyone live near the Texas coast? Or anyone have insight on the job market there? Good school districts? Any info or advice would be helpful or witty comments!! Witty comments are always appreciated!!!:cool:

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 6, 2012

How close do you mean? I live in the coastal plains but I'm at least thirty minutes from salt water.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 6, 2012

And what part of the coast? It's a loooooong stretch between Galveston and Padre Island! :)

5. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

May 7, 2012

We are looking from Corpus to Galveston and are willing to travel around a half hour inland. We have applied at several school districts that look like they have our educational values in mind. We are both have our provisional principals liscence. My husband is certified in 4-12 composite science. I am ec-4. 4-8 generalist, EC-12 special ed, and EC-12 ESL. We are looking for a positive change. I have 11 years of experience and my husband has eight. Thanks guys!!!

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 7, 2012

Galveston is usually hiring, but it is known as a "rough" area. The immediate surrounding districts are poor and have all of the issues that come with that. After hurricane Rita, they had a LOT of trouble finding people to live and work in the area, so they might not have the job competition that the other districts have. I don't know for sure, though. A lot can change in 4 years...

However, just about 30 miles inland (a little less, really) you can find districts like Barbers Hill, Dickinson, Goose Creek, and Clear Creek which have really good reputations.

Some others in the area are Alvin ISD, LaMarque ISD, Brazosport... There are tons around the Houston/Galveston area!

Many of these areas have a "small town" feel even though they are pretty close to Houston. That's a nice bonus. :)

7. JetShack

JetShack Rookie

May 7, 2012

I was going to say the nw houston suburbs, but that's out of your desired range. Cy-Fair and Tomball were the ones that came to my mind.