Two weeks in and I'm ready to scream!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jlj, Sep 3, 2012.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Sep 3, 2012

Sorry to be long...Ok so Kinder/first is a hard combo anyway I understand that and did okay with it last year. This year this group is unbelievable! I had 11 first and 4 kinders last year, this year the exact opposite. No aide. 11 boys 4 girls (all kinders)
    One that was 5 in April has the behaviors and attention span of a young 3 year old! He doesn't know all colors, has no clue what letters are let alone sounds, doesn't recognize his name, can't write anything resembling a letter... now I know he's just entered Kinder but this child was in a VPK (PK4 classroom) last year in a public school and they do teach these things. I have another student that was in his class that says he was always in trouble, never listened, never did his work...he will just get up and roam the room right in the middle of a lesson, story, song, doesn't matter what we are doing. If he's sitting, he's tearing up anything he can get his hands on, making noises, moving his desk or chair around, then just grins when anyone corrects him and finds something else disruptive to do.
    Another Kinder that is a hitter and coming from a VPK yet not where the children that was in our PK are, and another, same thing who says no to everything, doesn't stay on task...:eek:
    And then there's first grade! Two I had last year in Kinder. One new doesn't know vowels, so already a challenge to do our curriculum. The other one, :eek:hmy: . Tantrum at open house with mom, ran wild, cries, no wails! when he doesn't get his way or gets in trouble, he's always out of his seat, interrupts, talking, talking , talking, always has to have the last word....:wow::wow::dizzy: And then there's the ones that are trying so hard around these disruptive ones. I feel so bad for them. I have taught for many many years, and had all kinds of challenges but I think this is truly the worst I've ever had. I've had years where I went home and cried but really 2 weeks and I want out!
    I really make a point of emphasizing and praising the correct behaviors of those that always try and those mentioned above. Time out, loss of recess time, walking laps, silent lunch, head on desk, moving desk away from group, none of these have worked at all! I mean AT ALL! It's more work for me because they have to be constantly told to sit, be quiet, keep walking, whatever....
    Yes, the parents are aware of the problems. Made a difference? Nope! I don't have time to fill out daily notes to these parents but something has to be done NOW. The other children nor I can take this all year.
    :help::help: Please, advise! The Dir. is aware as well and we are to talk more this coming week.
    i've used a variety of behavior charts over the years but actually stopped using them with success the last several years. I'm ready to go back to one but what type is going to work?! :unsure::dizzy:

3. jlj

jlj Devotee

Sep 3, 2012

Advice anyone?!!!!!!

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 3, 2012

You poor thing! My first instinct is to suggest you keep your phone next to you at all times, and begin calling parents when Johnny acts up. For some students, that's all I've been able to find that works - but I don't know your school/district policy on that.

First, breathe. Deep, cleansing breaths. Perhaps you could teach your kiddos some breathing techniques as well - sometimes it can calm the wild ones down.

Is there a special ed referral program through your school? Could you refer your most active/disconnected for testing?

I love that you are praising the kiddos who are really trying. Perhaps you could get some tic-tacs, and give those kids one occasionally, and hopefully catch one of the more challenging kids being good and reward him/her, too. You would be amazed at what kids will do for ONE tic-tac or ONE skittle or ONE m&m, lol!

It sounds like your babies aren't mature enough for a weekly earned trip to the treasure box - maybe a sticker chart on their desks?

If I think of anything that might help, I'll be sure to post. Let us know what your admin says!

Oh, and document, document, document!!!

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 3, 2012

It sounds like you really have a challenge on your hands. I feel for you. I think the best thing is to observe as many Kindergarten teachers as possible for 3 reasons.

1. Some will have as many problems as you, and it will help to remind you that it is not you that is the problem.

2. Some will be awesome and will be able to show you a good idea or two.

3. Some will just be different, and will help you to really find some creative ways to attack an incredibly difficult problem.

I think you listed a lot of good techniques that you are using to address the situation. With these and observing teachers in their rooms and on You Tube's teaching channel. Teaching hopefully will get better. Good luck to you. :)

6. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2012

Go ahead and scream, when the children are not around. Let some of your frustrations out!
    I am so sorry to read about all these children and how they are acting. You have your hands full, and you are still hanging in there.:angel:
    How about a POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT CHART? I have one that I call the STAR CHART. Their names are on it and 20 spots for each child's star to be moved on. I use velcro so that each star moves across until it gets to the end. I have a see through container that is full of toys, erasers, bouncy balls, little figurine toys, and other things that children like. Some parents have donated some stuff before. Anyway, when a child's star gets to the end, then he/she can pick something out of the container. I've never used a clear container before, BUT it is cool, because you can hear the children tell others about what they want. I have the container right above the Star chart. The children earn moves for their stars by doing things like helping clean up, picking up after they use a center, sharing an outside toy with someone, and anything else that is an act of kindness and love.
    Prayers coming your way, and hang in there.
    Rebel1

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 4, 2012

I would suggest having a plan of action, and then calling parents. So, next time a child has a really difficult day, call parents and tell them, but also have a plan. Next time _____ does _____, the consequence will be ____. Does your school have a school-wide behavior plan? We do PBIS, and it sounds like many of your students would already have a "Major", with parent contact.

I know they're a pain, but what if you put a few of the students on individual behavior sheets? I always say that you have to find their "gold"-what motivates them? What can they work towards?

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 4, 2012

Some people will totally bash me for this, but that's fine. When I taught K and had an extremely difficult group one year, the only thing that motivated them was goldfish crackers. I kept a baggie of them with me at all times, and when I would catch a kid being good, I'd give them one. It was an immediate reward, and something tangible. The crackers are pretty healthy, and also tasty. I know it sounds crazy, but it really worked for me. Mine had no interest in delayed gratification: behavior charts, treasure box at the end of the day, anything. The goldfish crackers really worked.

9. missapril81

missapril81 Companion

Sep 4, 2012

I agree I would try to get some type of referral for Special Services. In my school we have Title I and Special Ed. The kids who get pulled in small group benefit so well.

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 4, 2012

:thumb::thumb: Great idea!

11. jlj

jlj Devotee

Sep 7, 2012

Thanks for your support! It's great to have a place to come vent, share, ask advice,etc.!
    Update- things have gone from bad to worse on a daily basis. I deal with it for a short time then take him to the office and let them deal for a while so that we can have some peace and enjoy learning. On Wed., Mom scheduled a conference for this a.m. (Fri) then called as I was driving to school and canceled, too little sleep last night so too tired to come in (didn't explain). So today the child flicked off others during lunch then later punched a child in stomach at the water fountain. Back to the office and told them it was him or me, one of us was leaving. He won't be back!!!! I spoke to grandma at the end of the day. She was very nice, totally understanding and said she will see that he goes to a PK program again that she knows that's where he needs to be. He needs more than just that but bless her heart she recognizes and admits to knowing he's not ready where as mom looks the other way. I feel sad because I do know so much background yet also feel such relief knowing Monday WILL be better. Now I need to begin fresh with this group, they were so frustrated today and everyone's behavior was off. Some copying his behaviors. EEK! So Monday I think we will begin at the beginning establishing rules, expectations, everything like it's the first day of school.
    Please continue to pray for us and share any other advice!

12. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 8, 2012

OMG. Kinder and first really shouldn't be combined. Both are so difficult at the beginning of the year.

What about weekly notes to parents? I subbed in a room where the teacher created forms with check boxes for different things and a place for parents to write a response. I think she sent them home on Thursdays. That seemed like a good way to keep a dialogue going without an enormous amount of work.

Do you have a behavior chart? Maybe something on the wall or even on their desks where they can collect stickers and see how well they're doing?