Two things going...possibly

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissWull, Aug 24, 2008.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 24, 2008

Well, since this struggle to find a teaching job I never seem to have good news to share here, so I thought I would share two jobs that I could quite possibly be considered for...non-teaching of course!

One is a credentials technician at a district office, it pays very well. I took a written exam, passed and just had a structured interview. I got ranked in the first category for the interview so now I am in good standing to get an official interview for the open cred. tech. position.

Second, I just got called Friday to come interview this Tuesday for a librarian position at a school district. Unfortunately because of dropping enrollment, they had to drop 5 hours from the position making it 35 hr/wk instead of a full 40. I said that was fine and I'd still like to interview. I have been working at a private college library for the past 3 years, so I think I have a good chance at this one and I'm really excited for it.

I'm not faced with any type of decision yet...but I'm wondering if I get faced with both which would be better to take. I think the library one would be better as an opportunity to make some personal contacts at the school with teachers and the principal in order to become a teacher. I don't think the contacts would be as personal at the district office. But if I take the library one, I would keep my other job as well...for financial purposes.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my good news. I'm going to brush up on some library skills that I don't do in my everyday job with my co-worker tomorrow...in order to be on top of my interview questions. I have my fingers crossed, because these are the only interviews that have come my way in months! eeeeek!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2008

Good luck!

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2008

Good luck, Miss Wull! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2008

If I were you, I would take the library one. I would LOVE to work in the library, but I do not have the library media credential and can't afford to get one. Good luck to you!!!!!!

6. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Aug 24, 2008

Just wanted to say good luck!

7. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 24, 2008

Are there benefits differences with these two positions?

8. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 24, 2008

Thanks for the good luck wishes guys!

Peachyness --- What's odd is having a library media cred. was not a requirement. There were only 3 requirements which included library class units, a degree and experience in a library. I have no units but I am guessing my 3 years in a library may override that requirement? We'll see...

teacherpippi --- Not sure about the benefits yet, haven't gotten that involved yet. I'll definitely ask at the interview though! :) But I am under my husband's benefits right now, so it's not too much of an issue for me.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2008

I saw a library position on edjoin and it didn't mention anything about a library media credential, but I figured that it was a given... .maybe not all require one for some reason. :confused:

10. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 25, 2008

Yes, I'm very interested to see what comes of this position...because I really thought a credential was required as well. Although, I know some postions hire people on the basis that they are taking the classes in order to obtain the credential...but I'm not even doing that! Oh no...I'm not going to worry though, I'll just see tomorrow! :)

11. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 26, 2008

Best of luck to you MissWull!

12. Librarian79

Librarian79 Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

I think that it differs from state to state as far as the library credential is concerned. In New York state, you have to have a masters degree in library science, and get certified K-12 with a teaching credential. We get fingerprinted and pretty much everything else a classroom teacher does.

In New York state librarians are considered teaching staff. Many elementary schools are on fixed schedules, so they have classes everyday, and then secondary librarians have classes when teachers schedule them. Not to mention all the other stuff that goes along with running a library: purchasing books, cataloging, putting together websites, maintaining databases, listservs, creating best book lists, managing the collection, etc. It's a huge job, but it's so worth it, especially if you're a fan of books and reading.

Good luck!! :2up:

13. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Aug 26, 2008

Good Luck!

14. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 26, 2008

Update:
    I arrived early and interviewed with the new principal, a secretary and another woman (can't remember what she did). They were all really nice and down to earth. I think the interview went extremely well. I felt very confident because I have been working in a library for the past 3 years and knew I would have an answer to every question!
    They began by telling me about the position and then asking me to introduce myself and what qualifications I have to match this position. I talked about my education and professional background with a touch of my personal background to start off. I let them know all about my library job I have now and what I do there. When I was finished the principal laughed and said "Wow, I think you answered all of our questions!!". So hopefully that was a good thing! They still asked me a few more questions and then that was it! The principal said they would hopefully make a decision from todays interviews and call by Friday, but if not they may do 2nd interviews and still call by Friday to let me know about that.

What's cool is that the school is being remodeled and they said the library would be a blank canvas (in Spring), so the person who gets the position can start it off however they want!! :)

Also, I have 1 1/2 years to take the classes in order to stay in the position...and there are only 3 classes required, but the principal said I may already have taken 1 of them from my credential program. She said they used to have the classes be required just to interview but that the policy has changed, so good for me I guess. I'm hoping I make a good impression on them that maybe if there is an opening for a teaching position next year, I can nab it! If not, working at a school isn't a bad place to wait for the teaching job!!

My fingers will be crossed until Friday! :)

15. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 26, 2008

NY state holds their expectations pretty high. But I know they have a lot of fabulous schools, probably because of that! It's really good to hear from someone who is actually in the library field in an elementary school. I always thought this would be a fun job to do if teaching didn't work out for me, or maybe even after I taught for several years. I absolutely love books, reading and kids...so it all sounsd good to me! :)

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2008

I'm glad to hear your interview went so well, Miss Wull! I hope that you hear some good news soon!

17. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 28, 2008

I just got a call from the district office (credentials tech) job. They want me to come in for a second interview tomorrow afternoon! I have two jobs going, this is strange. Unfortunately they're not teaching...but at least in the educational field. But I still feel lucky since this is the most I've had going for me (job-wise) since I started searching!!
    I'll let you guys know how it goes!! :) Also, I'm supposed to hear from the library position by tomorrow as well...this will be interesting. If they call, do I tell them to wait until I hear from this other job interview? Is that even possible?
    Also, can salary be negotiated for a classified position? I've never had a position with a school district (other than sub and I know you can't negotiate that!!).

18. reverie

reverie Companion

Aug 28, 2008

Good luck!

19. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2008

That's great MissWull! Good luck!

20. smalltowngal

Aug 28, 2008

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

21. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 28, 2008

Thanks guys, I seriously need all the luck and good vibes I can get!

22. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 31, 2008

Update on one job
    Well, no luck on the library position I interviewed for. I called on Friday (the day they said they'd make their decision) and apparently they chose someone with more "children's library" experience. I guess my college level experience just wasn't cutting it for them! Ah well, I will find out about the credentials technician position on Tuesday.
    What an interesting interview that was on Friday. There were 3 people interviewing me, the director of HR, another director of a dept. and one lady who currently does the position I was interviewing for, apparently there are 4 people who usually do it and I'll be the 3rd person. Well the lady who has the position now stumbled over EVERY question she asked me...I don't think she's ever been on an interview panel before. She even read the questions weird, she'd stop in the middle of a sentence like it was the end of it but then keep going. Then the HR director would only give me eye contact when she asked me a question, other than that I looked in her direction while answering other questions 5 times and EVERY time she was staring at the ground!!! Strange, sorry I'm that boring I guess! haha. Such a strange interview, we'll see how it went come Tuesday...

23. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 31, 2008

I've been on some odd interviews and that is odd - it's not you just some people aren't good/comfortable as an interviewee.

24. smalltowngal

Aug 31, 2008

Sorry you didn't get the library position. Crossing fingers for the cert. tech. job!

25. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2008

That does sound like a strange interview! Too bad about the library position, but hopefully the credentials technician position will work out, good luck!

26. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2008

I'm also sending you good luck vibes!!! :)

27. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 31, 2008

Thanks guys, we'll see what happens! I love this long weekend for relaxing, but not for waiting to hear from a job!! hehe.

28. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 2, 2008

So after ALL the hoops I jumped through, driving down to the district 4 different times...I didn't even get the job. Ugh... oh well I guess...on to the next opening...
    My husband feels for me though, he wants to take me out to a nice dinner tonight, I love him for being so caring! :)

29. smalltowngal

Sep 2, 2008

:( I'm sorry MissWull. I know its frustrating. I know that my hubby is wanting to do the same thing, just waiting for the time that I can tell him I got a job!

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2008

each step takes you a bit closer....

sorry it did not work out...but you now know what else is out there...

I would be looking into every district that is close enough for me to drive for the exact same positions.

another thought... the public library. I don't know about salary and qualfications, but I do know in IL...they are in a state retirement system, so when you work as a teacher, and then any other state position, you can convert/combine your teacher retirement fund with this municipal employee fund...buy years or add years for retirement and increase pension!

and they don't work 9 months, but I think librarians in general will be in high demand with NCLB.

31. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2008

Awwww, that bites. I'm sorry. :hugs: It's so hard getting a job in this field. I totally lucked out in getting this temp job, but I had to use who I knew.

32. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 3, 2008

Public library isn't a bad though, but the one closest to me does "on-call" for every new employee. You have to earn your permanent spot, so it's almost like subbing except it's all day and weekends...and I would still need to keep my PT job. So I'm not sure about that.

I think I'm even expanding my search into middle school. I just went into the district office today and gave the credential analyst some paperwork and she's going to see what I'm qualified to teach in middle school, although she said their middle schools are more departmentalized and don't really fit self-contained teaching into the teams they have...ugh :huh:

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2008

I just suggested in another thread that another avenue to consider is training management positions for state/federal/government jobs. With all of our experience in education, I am sure that upper elementary/high school teachers should fit perfectly for those jobs! Analyze needs of employees, put together a worskhop, or class...order materials. Management and technical employees need this all the time! Many companies have a full training department!