Two questions!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mldouglas, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Apr 10, 2008

I have two questions:

First, I have a friend who works in the district office of a district that I sub for. She sent me an e-mail for several elementary job postings that are going to be published in several of the local papers this coming Sunday. I was reading the posting and it says to apply online after April 16th. Here is my question, should I wait until then or should I apply now and get the inside track?

Second, do you think it is okay to include two sample lessons in my mini-portfolio? I am in the process of putting some folder mini portfolios to mail to principals or leave with them at an interview. Anyway, I would say out of the 4-5 weeks that I was responsible for the teaching, I had two lessons that really stand out in my mind as "great" lessons. One is a lesson on liquid measurement where the culminating activity is the children making their own measurement man. I have included that because I have pictures and I thought it went well. I was going through my big portfolio today and I came across this science lesson that incorporated hands on learning, cooperative learning, research skills, and computer technology. I really want to include both lessons.

Thanks,

Mldouglas

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2008

If it says to wait until April 16th, then I would wait. They might just throw out any before that. And I don't think it would matter whether you did it now or when the ad said to.

I've put sample lessons in my portfolios. I don't think it could hurt.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 10, 2008

I know the college I work for simply tosses applications in which the directions weren't followed...and apply after a certain date is definately a direction.

As for the lesson plans, if this is a mini-portfolio, I would put in an abbriviated version of one with a note saying the whole plan and others are available upon request, or something to that effect.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 11, 2008

DO not do it early. My district switched application programs and if you did it before February 10 you had to do it again.

I think mmswm suggestion for the lesson plans sounds good.

Its great you got a heads up. I hope good things are coming your way.

6. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2008

I have two questions:

First, I have a friend who works in the district office of a district that I sub for. She sent me an e-mail for several elementary job postings that are going to be published in several of the local papers this coming Sunday. I was reading the posting and it says to apply online after April 16th. Here is my question, should I wait until then or should I apply now and get the inside track?
    I wouldn't submit the application until then, but I have never filled out an application that took me only one day. If they have a program where you can start and then save the app, I would get it started. Then you can have access to all of the questions they will ask, and we know they can ask some doozies!

Second, do you think it is okay to include two sample lessons in my mini-portfolio? I am in the process of putting some folder mini portfolios to mail to principals or leave with them at an interview. Anyway, I would say out of the 4-5 weeks that I was responsible for the teaching, I had two lessons that really stand out in my mind as "great" lessons. One is a lesson on liquid measurement where the culminating activity is the children making their own measurement man. I have included that because I have pictures and I thought it went well. I was going through my big portfolio today and I came across this science lesson that incorporated hands on learning, cooperative learning, research skills, and computer technology. I really want to include both lessons.
    I would include them both. They are from different subjects and both add something unique to the portfolio.
    Thanks,

Mldouglas