Two Questions that fumbled me

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JaimeMarie, May 28, 2008.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 28, 2008

One was what lesson have you taught that was a complete failer. ahhhhhhhhhh what the heck kind of question is that.

The second was tell us about your writers workshop.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 28, 2008

I guess for the first one I would tell what went wrong in a lesson and then ways I did to improve it for next time. I'm sure they are looking to see if you can reflect on what went wrong in a lesson.

I've never been asked either one of these questions. I'm assuming by them asking the second question that Writer's Workshop is a big thing in their school.

4. eCubed

eCubed Companion

May 28, 2008

Thank you for posting this because it's something I anticipate they'll ask me. It's also a nice lesson for teachers to actually answer four questions for EVERY lesson plan:

*What went well?
    *What did not work well?
    *What will you do next time?
    *What insights came out of this lesson that would be of great help for future lessons or life in general?

I just learned to do that ^ from an article online. Yes, it seems like extra work, but it sure does cover your butt and certainly will help you with [near] future lesson plans.

Writer's workshop - is that something you think you should have been facilitating that you didn't know about? I wonder how to answer questions where your answer goes something like "I didn't know about that," or "I haven't done anything about it." I'm sure those are bound to come up. Since I also majored in Computer Science, one school district's superintendent (during an interview for a math teaching position) asked me about my experience with the Oracle database. Sheesh. That's a high enterprise application that you only get to work with if you work for a large company. I told him that I have worked with databases before, however, not Oracle. Good thing he assured to me that college students majoring in CS don't ever get to touch that until much later. Why he asked me that, I don't know.

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 28, 2008

sounds like KWL to me...
    what you know, what you want to know, what you have learned

that is a situational question...to see how you (squirm) respond, both physically and literally to stress. So they ask you about a problem so you can....

1. lie and say you don't have any :rolleyes:
    2. tell some whopping story that nobody can prove :eek:
    3. tell the truth, and how you solved problem :up:
    4. or better, be honest and say you haven't solved problem...you are a work in progress...hmmmm...run and tell that! ;)

keep in mind...they are looking more at your body language, before you even open your mouth - :unsure:

the second question...heck, if you haven't done it or don't know what it is, say so! I am in preschool, and I haven't done it. I do remember seeing in in Open Court Reading...I think.

Make no effort at all to pretend like you know and turn yourself into a complete idiot by making up some elaborate story. If you don't know, say so. But saying in a freindly, concerned way.

"I am not familiar with that curricululm, but perhaps I have used something similiar to it, under another name. Could you explain it to me?"

only answer, IMO...

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 28, 2008

The thing is I don't think there is a right or wrong answer for Writers Workshop. BLAH

And my principal told me I gave the correct answer for the first question. I said something along hte lines of if a lesson seems to be going down hill than I ditch it and try something else to get the students interested.

7. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

May 29, 2008

This is a question my current principal asks at every interview. She knows so many candidates are ready to tell about their best lesson, but are often thrown off or not prepared to answer about thier worst lesson. In the end what she is looking for is that you can adjust your lesson during class, you are reflective, you can admit mistakes and acknowledge when things aren't going well, and that you don't just blame the students when things don't work.

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 29, 2008

sound advice...

we are always supposed to have some lesson up our sleeves..use teachable moments, that window of opporutinity, and have sub plans! What gets me is when you are being observed, they look at your lesson plan, you are sinking big time, and you transition to another one...they have the nerve to ask you.."why were you doing xyz when your lesson said abc?" I guess it goes back to what you are saying. They know you flopped, but want to hear your feedback as to why.

Or, they want to know if you will lie, or admit say you are not following the lesson plan.

I tell teachers, make sure it is always current, and posted. and if somebody asks me why I'm not following it..the answer is always the same..

the kids wanted to try .......

maybe I should start admiting failure! :unsure:

9. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

May 29, 2008

The second lesson my supervisor observed during my student teaching tanked miserably. I attempted to break it down farther for them, have them try some examples w/ a partner, and when that still didn't work I just ended the lesson and said we'd go back to it at a later time. Fortunately, my supervisor told me it was actually good because I didn't fall apart and she even offered me some other suggestions about what to try w/ them.

Of course, when I went back to it later, they all got it almost right off the bat! Figures, right?

10. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 29, 2008

What's everyones opinion on this response for what lesson failed?

I don't remember a specific lesson that didn't go well. However, I know that each year I was always readjusting my lessons. What one group could do one year, wasn't always so the following year and vice versa. This lead me to drop some lessons and recreate althogether, fine tune others, create new modifications and activities.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 30, 2008

of course, like the cable is fine once the repairman comes! :confused:

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 30, 2008

Hmmm...looking over everyone else's response...and reevaluating my own...I think it is best that we dig deeper and admit to some sort of failure in a lesson, even part of one. Ugh...can't even type the word without squirming. To say you don't remember, is to say (perhaps IMO), you don't make mistakes?? We as teachers are especially sensitive to defeat. We take it personally.

just a thought...don't toss bean bag this way! :rolleyes:

13. colormegreen

colormegreen Rookie

May 31, 2008

I would emphasis on the first question that you learned from the failure, that you reflected on what did and did not work and say what you would do differently.

The second question is similar to what I had with the Principal at my interview on Friday. She wanted to know what she or anyone would see if they walked through my classroom during Reading Time.

They are looking for hands on learning, interaction with students and the teacher being involved - I know sounds basic - but I know that there are teachers who just sit back and relax at times when they think they are done with the "teaching" part and it is centers or student centered activity.

:)

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 31, 2008

My problem wouldn't be admitting I made a mistake. I tend to be too much of an open book if nothing else. My problem would be in REMEMBERING a specific lesson as well.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 31, 2008

So that is basically what I said! haha to bad I didn't get the job. I actually didn't want the job after the interview.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 31, 2008

Sounds good JW.

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 31, 2008

they want the STAR response....

situation - you started math lesson, say with unifix cubes
    task - you want them to make an AB pattern, but they didn't get it
    action - you quickly decided to have them make whatever they wanted, and commented on colors, measurement, and asked them to identify their creations with at least 2 attributes
    results - you realized they needed more samples of patterns, and the fact that patterns must repeat, and by giving them free play with cubes, some were able to do it, unknowningly, and you will build on their experiences and revamp the lesson

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 31, 2008

Absolutely!!!!..We are never done! and it is a mistake to think so...IMO

never underestimate the power of walking the room. You should see progress, stagnation, and some advanced work, and praise, assist and praise constantly. Can't see results if you sit back and relax.

relax?? in a classroom? at work??

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 31, 2008

I think it is good, and a testament to our common sense when we realize that after interviewing, we don't want a job.

Some folks just want to pay bills.

It is sad when things get that way...:unsure:

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 31, 2008

I really didn't want it before the interview either. I pulled into the school and just didn't get a good feeling. I think I kind of blew the interview.

21. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 31, 2008

No bean bags being thrown, mpk:D. I guess to clarify, when I read this question and started to go through my years of experience, I couldn't think of that specific lesson, not to say it didn't happen. I guess what I was trying to say was that my lessons did sometimes fail, and that I was constantly adjusting when that occurred in the classroom. I don't know, maybe I just wasn't mortified enough to remember that specific lesson went down the tubes, I just know that it happened and how I adjusted. I guess I really need to figure this out if it comes across like I don't think I have failed in a lesson. Because I sure know that I had bad days.

22. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 31, 2008

Ah, I know you didn't want the job, but I'm sorry anyways.:(

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2008

yes, I agree...

and again..I think critiquing your own work is like learning to ride a bike...you fall off..but you get back on. Nobody thinks about that anymore after you had your training wheels off, and a few scraped knees. You focus on your successes, not failures. :)