Two questions (on is about math)

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by stacey19, Aug 8, 2013.

1. stacey19

stacey19 Rookie

Aug 8, 2013

I made my class supply list for fourth grade and was told fourth graders are too old to color and crayons should not be on the list. To me if they color something every once in awhile to help make learning more fun, there is no problem with that. Thoughts?

Also, What do you do the first week to assess where your students are in math? This is my first year teaching fourth grade so not sure where to start with math. It doesn't help my books aren't in yet either. HELP!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

Switch out crayons for colored pencils...better for graphing, maps...maybe some skinny markers...they don't need crayons.

I think Florida has adopted the CCSS...read over your standards. Also check with your grade level members...they may have a beginning of year grade level assessment.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 8, 2013

I'll second the recommendation for colored pencils: that's how the grownups color. Require a little handheld sharpener for each kid too, though, or your best pencil sharpener will be toast.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2013

I'm going to disagree. There are many opportunities for 4th graders to color with crayons or colored pencils...and they love to color!

However, if your school doesn't allow crayons for the older kids, unfortunately(!), you have to do what they tell you to.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 8, 2013

A year or so ago, Costco in my neighborhood was selling some perfectly gorgeous coloring sets for geography: half a dozen fairly good colored pencils and about forty highly detailed color-by-number sheets that featured not only maps and political subdivisions but climate zones, regions, economic connections, hydrology, geology, and more. For third graders or below? I very much doubt it.

See also that standby of the first two years of medical school: the Gray's Anatomy Coloring Book.

7. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 11, 2013

I ask for both crayons and colored pencils. Mainly colored pencils are used for maps and such. They use crayons for book report projects and some other reading activities. I also have a huge Florida poster that we color with crayons because they are more vibrant. This activity is done when they earn free-time Friday.

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2013

My 6th graders colored. Sometimes I specified no markers so it wouldn't bleed through the page, but a lot of the time it was the students choice on the materials to use. A lot of them chose crayons.

I own coloring books and crayons. Sometimes coloring is a nice stress reliever and only crayons will do!

9. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2013

I see absolutely no reason why crayons can't be on the fourth grade list. They are 9 and 10!!! I teach 3rd and have them bring crayons, colored pencils, water color paints and markers. We never "just color." They are used for a variety of projects to enrich learning.

10. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 17, 2013

I prefer crayons over colored pencils. Never have to deal with sharpening colored pencils and the management that comes with it.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2013

I always had crayons on my fifth grade list! I preferred colored pencils, but the cheap ones don't work well.
    I hate markers!!!!! I usually have a 'no marker' rule!

12. Opal

Opal Companion

Aug 25, 2013

I teach 4th and we use both colored pencils and crayons. As a general rule, markers are not allowed due to misuse/carelessness.

We use crayons and colored pencils for creating and decorating book marks, writing binder cover sheets, writing, math, etc. We don't color for the sake of coloring, but it gives the kids a bit of creative ownership over their stuff.

13. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 25, 2013

We always had crayons on the list! For art class is nothing else...

There were plenty of times when I asked kids to color something with crayon - usually backgrounds. I am just confused by this whole conversation!! :) :dizzy:

14. janis

janis Companion

Sep 2, 2013

I'd say to assess somewhere around lesson 10 (and even then only assess the first 5 or 6 lessons). I'm a string believer in not assessing math until they've had more than a few days of practice on any given topic.

15. janis

janis Companion

Sep 16, 2013

People are NEVER too old for different modes of learning. Whoever told you that is probably old school and a bit stuck in their ways. You should always use multiple modes of learning/reinforcing. I use crayons and markers weekly (even something as simple as letting them take notes in differently colors - word, one color. definition, 2nd color)