Two preliminary single subject credentials in CA?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChiliPepper, Jul 24, 2019.

1. ChiliPepper

ChiliPepper Rookie

Jul 24, 2019

Hi there. I was hoping someone could help clear things up until I hear back from my credential analyst.

I just received my prelim single subject teaching credential in chemistry in California. I've already taken the first two CSETs in math, so I inquired about getting some sort of authorization to be able to teach foundational level math.

I was told two different things. 1) Simply submit an application to CTC for an Introductory Subject Matter Authorization in Math if I meet the coursework requirements. 2) I was told to take a methods class in math. Then what? Based on my research, I think this path would lead me to getting a prelim single subject teaching credential in foundational level math.?

If I am correct about Option 2, does that mean I have to clear both credentials within 5 years?

Wondering what is the benefit of having a credential in foundational math vs an introductory subject matter authorization in math.

Thanks!

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 24, 2019

My understanding is that additional authorizations (subject areas) will be added to your existing credential. When you clear your credential, it will clear all the authorizations. It looks like an introductory math authorization allows you to teach math to 9th graders and below in California. It is not NCLB compliant, but I don't think that is a concern currently. A foundational credential allows you to teach algebra, geometry, probability and statistics as well as "general math" to all grade levels. It is NCLB compliant. If your goal is to teach high school, the foundational authorization looks more appealing. If you are interested in middle school the introductory one should be sufficient.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2019

Clearing one's initial credential clears everything that's added to it, yes.

ChiliPepper, since you're qualified for the Foundational-level Math credential except for that one pedagogy course, I'd recommend picking up that course (and the local county office of education should be able to acquaint you with a range of on-ground and online ways to do that). One advantage to you of having the really-o truly-o credential rather than the subject matter authorization is that, when (and not if) credential requirements change, you'll almost certainly encounter fewer hoops to jump through. A second is that, if time and tide pull you toward math rather than science, CSET Math III added to the Foundational-level credential will get you the full math credential with no other activity on your part than chucking money and a little information at the CTC, whereas CSET Math III plus a subject-matter authorization gets you... CSET Math III plus a subject-matter authorization. A third is that being NCLB-compliant, even when that is no longer quite the big deal that it was even five years ago, will make you a slightly but noticeably more competitive candidate for math-only jobs, compared to holders of mere authorizations.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jul 28, 2019

In California you need to take a methods course in the subject you will teach. If your teaching science and math you need a methods course for each. The law changed in the last 5 years to include a methods course in the subject you teach plus the CSET requirement. Once you clear one credential all are cleared. That is because clearing your credential just means you participated in BITSA (Begining Teacher training) . It's like teacher training the state makes you do in your first couple years of teaching to help you be a better teacher. It's teacher training, not necessarily science or math training so once your done for one credential you don't repeat it.

6. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jul 28, 2019

If you want to add another science credential , you do not have to take more methods classes since the science one counts for all sciences. Physics is a high need subject. That would be a good one to pick of you want to add a credential.