Two new teachers having improper relationships.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by txmomteacher2, Feb 12, 2015.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2015

How the heck do these people get jobs? Today alone there were two new stories about teachers who have abused or had an improper relationship with students. One was in my state and another was out of state. I admit we did have a teacher get arrested and has not gone to trial here in our district last year. What is this world coming to that grown adults feel the need to abuse or have relationship with a child. I do not find anyone under the age of 30 that attractive!!!!!!

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 12, 2015

For a moment I thought you were talking about my school system. :/ In the past 2 years there have been 3 arrests for various stupid teacher/student things.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 12, 2015

They not only mess up the life of the student but also their career. Stupid!

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2015

Some people are gross. I don't think any of us can even begin to understand why they make the choices they make.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 12, 2015

If you are a person who feels attracted to young people, I would think it common sense to get a career where you are as far away from them as possible.

7. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Feb 12, 2015

Some people are just so gross.

When I was a junior in High school, we got a new Assistant band director. We were all VERY close to our band directors. They were all like dads because we spent so much time with them. So, when the new Assistant director immediately befriended a "clique" of students that had lots of girls, it didn't really seem out of the norm.

Fast forward to a few years after graduation, he was arrested and charged for having an improper relationship with a current student. I immediately revisited my band memories and it occurred to me then that his behavior was definitely more 'personal' that the other two directors.

Many of the once band moms were not surprised by his actions, unfortunately.

It's amazing though, how as a student it didn't seem 'weird'. THAT just goes to show how naïve young students are. It's so easy for them to fall victim to preying teachers.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2015

At first I thought you meant two teachers having improper relationships with each other! If only that were the case. I'm not sure why teachers do this (or any adult for that matter). A woman I went to school with (elementary-college) was found to have had an improper relationship with a high school student (she taught elementary). I just can't even imagine. Maybe their self esteem is so low that even the hint of attention from a student boosts it up and so they continue because it makes them feel better about themselves. It's gross though!

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2015

When it happened in our district I can't say I wasn't surprised. The teacher that did always gave me the creeps. What surprised me was the girls who were involved. I know one of the girls and her family pretty well. I was totally shocked for her to say she was "in love with him" Ughhhh Not supposed to happen that way. They found out because he got another girl from another town pregnant and when the DNA test came back as his baby he was looked into by the police. The mother was also underage but was never his student, but someone he worked with during the summer like at a summer camp.

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2015

I can admit that I have had some really good looking students over the years and that many HS boys like to flirt with their young female teachers. That being said, no boy is so fine that I would risk my paycheck, pension and benefits to have sex with him. Hell-to-the-no! Not to mention, I wouldn't survive going to jail or being homeless on the streets.

If I had a thing for younger men, I would just go down to the local college campus and troll for guys. I don't understand why these teachers don't just go to the mall or the movies if they want to pick up (hopefully over the age of 18) teenagers.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 12, 2015

I like younger guys, but not that young! I didn't even date in my early 20's because I taught high school and some of the guys I'd have been interested in were friends with kids in my classes. (I was 22 teaching seniors.). I did not even hang out with my friends much because my BFF's BF was a senior in high school. Totally not worth it. I'm currently dating a former student at my school. I was not interested in him in the least back then. At 15 and 23 . . . no way. At 36 and 44, not so bad. :blush:

Even if everyone is of legal age, that's a line you don't cross in supervisory positions. Unfortunately some people don't get that.

12. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2015

Thats a little extreme. I mean, yes its true men do get better looking as they age (up to a point), but women on the other hand mid 20's to 30 is the peak age in looks.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 13, 2015

Haha there's some of that going around my school now. Well, some TAs (one was married at the time). Still not something I want to hear about!

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 13, 2015

Personally, I'm hoping that new Jennifer Lopez movie on this subject is so bad that it turns off ANYONE to the idea entering a student - teacher relationship.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2015

:wow:

16. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2015

How can teachers have inappropriate relationships with one another?