Two new interview questions

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by kidatheart, Mar 9, 2007.

1. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Mar 9, 2007

Hi, here are two interview quetsions that I heard recently... what do you think? I'm still formulating my answers.

When do you give up on a kid where you have tried everything you
    can. What do you do when you are angry?

3. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Mar 9, 2007

1. You never give up!!
    2. Stay calm count to 10-walk away for a few minutes etc.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2007

I teach HS-- maybe that gives me a different slant on things.

1. I ask him what HE thinks. How I can help him pass. Very often the kid will help get to the root of the problelm.

2. It depends on what has made me angry. But at school, my voice tends to get pretty quiet and I speak slowly-- the kids know that I mean business!!!

That said, it normally takes a lot to make me angry.

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2007

When I'm angry- I use creative visualization/ I focus on positive thoughts, refrain from saying anything in the heat of the moment, and redirect my attention for a few minutes.

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2007

As far as the giving up question.....

As a teacher, part of my job is not to give up. I would keep offering opportunities for success and continuously striving to work with the child and the parents to develop a consistent routine. In my experience, giving up has alot to do with not understanding or fear of failure. If I can eliminate, or keep that to a minimum, I think I can succeed.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 9, 2007

Thats an interesting question. I would never give up on a child but I would also need to know what the problem is. Does he/she just not get it or does he/she just not care? In either case, I think it is next to impossible to truthfully "try everything". I would make absolutely sure that I am getting everyone involved to help ie peers, parents, counselors, the principal, other teachers etc.

That really sounded like a loaded question to me.

8. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Mar 10, 2007

I think so too, lemonhead!
    I believe I would say something to the effect of
    No child should be given up on. Every child has potential to learn and sometimes we just need to find the right path for certain students. They have so much to deal with outside of the school setting: divorce, violence, drug abuse, child abuse, neglect. Sometimes I wonder how they can find studying for a spelling test as important as staying safe at home, or finding food to eat.
    I would use all of my resources, then I would confer with my peers, administration and anyone else I thought could help. I don't think giving up is the answer, as frustrating as it can get!!!