two jobs?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Starivy, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Apr 20, 2006

Is it possible and manageable to have a part time retail position while teaching for the first year? Or is that just crazy talk? I am wanting to get a job for the summer in the mall and would like to keep it for the discounts on clothing and extra money. I am also starting my first year of teaching in the fall. Am I over burdening myself? I just don't know how realistic it will be.

Thanks!

3. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 20, 2006

I would definitely advise you to not have an extra part-time job. Yeah, the extra money is nice but you will be soooooo tired, it might effect your teaching and classroom. Your first year is such a demanding time because you are learning about school procedures, curriculum, assessments, etc. I'm afraid you would burn out quickly. Maybe you could tutor after school to earn extra money?

4. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Apr 20, 2006

I don't think I could have done it. I felt "crazy" enough with teaching.

My first year, I spent the longest hours at school, planning, researching, learning curriculum, and all that. Plus, most schools have tons of "new teacher" training that you will most likely have to do.

I did tutor for 1 hour a week after school my first year, at school.

Unless you can't make bills, will lose your home or car, I would wait until at least you have a few months under your belt to do it.

On another note, you can ask if you school has "stipened" jobs. Some schools pay for doing recess, coaching, etc...

Good luck!

Kelly :)

5. Julie

Julie Rookie

Apr 20, 2006

I had a part time job my 1st 4 years of teaching to help make ends meet and save some money. Luckily I had the perfect job :) I worked at a teacher supply store (so maybe I didn't save that much money!). I only worked 2 afternoons a week until 7 and 1 or 2 Saturday's or Sunday's a month. It is doable if you are really good at managing your time and don't have to work late hours because teaching alone is enough to put you to bed like you were 8 years old again!

6. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Apr 20, 2006

definately crazy talk. Focus on teaching. My district has professional development opportunities that allow you to make a little money on the side but even that seems like a little too much to ask of a first year teacher.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 20, 2006

See if you can do some before/after school, or summer school, teaching. It pays well, and really isn't that much more time. Working 2 different jobs tends to have that extra draining effect on you. I have a friend (who has taught for 6 years) who is doing the same thing as you want to do. She only works on the weekends, and an occassional week night during the school year. She can do it, but she's had several years under her belt too.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 20, 2006

I have a friend that worked one night a week and weekends her first yr of teaching. She worked at American Eagle.

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2006

I would use the first year, to focus on teaching. You will wish there were more hours in the day, after you actually start planning... believe me