Two job interviews next week!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by NYYJMM, Jun 4, 2009.

1. NYYJMM

NYYJMM Rookie

Jun 4, 2009

So I have two job interviews next week in Albany. They are both Charter Schools and I was wondering if anyone has ever had interviews for a Charter School. If anyone can give me any tips that would be great!

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2009

I have no experience in charter schools, but wanted to wish you good luck! Getting two interviews is awesome!

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

Way to go on landing two interviews!

I interviewed with a charter school last week, but the interview was no different than any other public school interview I have been on. I encourage you though to think about what you in your teaching that is innovative considering the nature of charter schools. It's a potential question.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2009

Good luck on the interviews!!

6. NYYJMM

NYYJMM Rookie

Jun 4, 2009

Hey I will take a look into that question emmakate and thank you for the well wishes!

7. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Jun 4, 2009

I have had an interview in a charter. It was a last minute thing and a middle of the year position. They might ask why you would like to teach for them. Other than that question, it was pretty much like a lot of my public school interviews. I'm thinking of applying to one charter in particular since things are not going so great district wise.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 4, 2009

I had a phone interview with a charter school last year. The questions were pretty much the same as any other interview. Hours at charter schools are often longer so they might ask you if you have any concerns about that.

Good luck!

9. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jun 4, 2009

All my teaching experience is charter. Typically, the interview process is longer, with a demo lesson. Since charters are often smaller schools, be ready to wear lots of different hats.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

10. NYYJMM

NYYJMM Rookie

Jun 4, 2009

One of the charter schools I am interviewing for said that the day starts at 7:30 am and ends at 6 pm. Though I assume that the kids would be doing stuff the last few hours of the day since I cannot immagine they would make their teachers work for 10 1/2 hours a day.

11. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2009

unless it's a KIPP academy!!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2009

I have no idea what I'm talking about here-- I know next to nothing about charter schools.

But I would be curious as to what made a private corporation decide to open a charter school. I would find out a little about the company before the interview, and ask at the interview.

I think it's a logical question, and might give you some insight into the school.

13. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jun 5, 2009

Good luck with the 2 interviews and keep us posted on how they go.

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2009

Good luck and keep us posted!!! :)

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2009

best wishes on your interviews

16. NYYJMM

NYYJMM Rookie

Jun 6, 2009

what is a KIPP Academy?

17. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jun 6, 2009

KIPP Academy is a charter school that is known for it's LONG hours. We have several here in Houston... I didn't know they were in the NE also. Texas' largest district, and the one I work for, Houston ISD, is losing it's teachers and student body to KIPP Charter schools.

18. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 7, 2009

Hi. Darlibby! Why are they losing teachers and student body if the hours are longer? What makes them so different from an ISD?

19. upstatenytchr

upstatenytchr Rookie

Jun 7, 2009

NYYJMM...is on of them Achievement Academy? I have an interview there too and have been asking around about charter schools...small world!

20. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

KIPP says that every one of their students will go to college and they are usually in the rougher areas of a city. Parents and teachers want to be where things are happening. But, they do pay their teachers more for the additional time commitment.

21. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jun 7, 2009

Yeah, KIPP has very high standards and long hours. Teachers make a little bit more and parents are likely happy that children are learning 9 or 10 hours a day instead of 7 or 8.

22. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

As for the interview. Charter schools are supposed to have something that sets them apart from the standard school system. You should know what that is and how you would fit into that. For example in my town we have four charter schools, one focuses on Native American beliefs, one is focusing on community, one focuses on science, and one focuses on the environment. If you are prepared with how you would teach to their goals you would do pretty well.

Good luck, hope that helps.

23. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jun 7, 2009

I interviewed with a charter school this week. Normal interview. They did ask, "what do you know about our school?"

24. NYYJMM

NYYJMM Rookie

Jun 8, 2009

Yeah thats the interview I have for tomorrow! That is the one with the long hours, possibly.

BTW.. good luck with your interview

25. upstatenytchr

upstatenytchr Rookie

Jun 11, 2009

How did it go? Mine is today!

It says on the website about Encore....which is sports offerings, band, computer work, tutoring...not sure if this all takes place after 5pm or before?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  26. NYYJMM

NYYJMM Rookie

Jun 15, 2009

Not really sure what you mean about Encore but I think my interview went well. It was on the 9th. They told me that I would hear from them within 72 hours about whether or not they want me to come back and do a demo but I have not heard from them.

27. upstatenytchr

upstatenytchr Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

I haven't heard anything either...

28. NYYJMM

NYYJMM Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

Yeah I remember having a devil of a time getting hold of the principal or her getting a hold of me before setting up the interview. I am going to wait a week or so and see what happens.

29. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 17, 2009

Best of luck to you both! Hopefully you both will get a job !

30. bound2move

bound2move Rookie

Jun 26, 2009

I had a phone interview with a nyc charter school back in March. That particular one opens this fall. I had a phone interview with another nyc charter this past Monday and I have another with a different nyc charter next Tuesday. I am curious to know: NYYJMM or upstatenytchr have you heard anything back yet on your interviews????

31. nattyj21

nattyj21 Companion

Jun 27, 2009

Charter schools tend to be more centered in one area, that I have read about. I would research what the charter school is about, so you can highlight those areas about your teaching and create good questions to ask.

Good Luck!!!

32. NYYJMM

NYYJMM Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

I know its been a few weeks since you posted this question and things might have changed for you but I never received a single email, phone call or letter telling me they were or were not interested in me. I am guessing by now since I have not heard from them that I did not get the second interview. What bothers me is both places told me they would inform me either way whether or not they were interested in a second interview but they never contacted me. Things like that make me very discouraged.

33. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2009

:hugs: nyyjmm...I'm sorry :(

34. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2009

I'm sorry.

35. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2009

I'm sorry.

36. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Jul 16, 2009

NYYJMM:

I can sympathize! I cannot tell you how many times the administrators/hiring team have told me that they would let me know either way - and of course I never hear from them again!
    I've even called to find out and my telephone callls have never been returned! :(

In fact, I had an interview today and was assured that they would be contacting me either way by early next week - we shall see.....:|

All I can say is Keep the Faith!

37. bound2move

bound2move Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

Well, I *just got an email the other day from the 3rd interview stating that I did not receive the job. It was much longer than they said it would take to respond but I guess I am just glad they did respond- either way!

The lady I interviewed with 2nd- I heard from her the end of last week saying she still had to fill a K position. I told her I was still looking for a K position and she wrote back: Ok, Keep in touch.

??????????? WTH????????? :confused: I responded again and no answer. Oh well.... :unsure: