Two interviews at the same time

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacher304, Jul 27, 2010.

1. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Jul 27, 2010

Hi all.

Please advise what on what to do. My only two interviews of the summer are the exact same time! The schools are about 90 min apart from each other (45 min for me in either direction).

When called to reschedule one school said they can't because they have a committee of teachers and that's the only time they will be there.

One said they are all booked up for the day--maybe they could squeeze me in next week but are not sure.

I'd love to contend for both jobs but it seems like I might have to pick :( I think at this time of year any school is not going to wait a week for me to interview if they are interviewing on one day. Please advise.

3. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

Ouch. How'd you end up scheduling the interviews at the same time?

I'd choose the school that is firm with their date to go interview with, and try to reschedule with the other school. A "maybe" is a lot better than "can't."

You don't want to leave any stone unturned in this market.

4. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Jul 27, 2010

One I had scheduled already. One e-mailed me and told me when they had available--same time :(

One is a large committee, one I think is just the P and Assistant P so I will try to reschedule the one I had scheduled. But, what do I say as to why.

Do schools not like to hear you have another interview.

5. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

Absolutely not. Trust me, schools are not naive enough to know that they are the only school you applied to. If anything, it sends the message that they are not the only ones that recognize your worth.

6. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

Let them know you have another interview. It is the truth plus then they know you are in demand. Good luck!

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2010

Good luck! I hope you can reschedule the other interview.

8. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2010

Last Wednesday I had three at the same time!!! and they were about 30 mins away from my house in three different directions! I wound up being able to change one to be the first of the day and the other the time they gave me...the third I just had to cancel, I was a little bummed but everything works out for a reason...I now have a second interview next week and would prefer to work there anyway.

Just go to that interview and WOW them! It only takes one opening!

9. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Jul 27, 2010

Good luck with whatever your decision may be!! It's tough, but everything works out for a reason!

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 27, 2010

Hope you are able to work it out. But def go with the one that you scheduled first. I know if is a tough decision, but the winner is the one that called first.

11. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Jul 28, 2010

Update: I called one P and told him the situation and he said that two interviews in one day would be too much he thinks and that he will call me at the end of the week to reschedule to next week.

Do you think he will actually call to reschedule, hopefully. Or better yet, hopefully I will get the position for the interview that I am keeping.

12. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Jul 28, 2010

I'm sure he'll call, he has no reason to lie about it. If he wasn't going to call he could have simply thanked you for letting him know and told you that they'd have to go with someone else. Here's hoping you just get the first one though! Good luck!

13. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 28, 2010

I would keep the interview that you already had scheduled and get back the one that e-mailed you and say you had a prior commitment and you would appreciate if they can reschedule but if they can't you need to go to your prior commitment.

14. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2010

:yeahthat: