Two interviews and hopefully a contract

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Zanity, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

Well I had another P call me on the weekend. He called today while I was cooking for family. He wants me to come in on Tuesday. So I have that one plus one on Wed with the school that called me last weekend at 7:30am. Plus I have my fingers double crossed that the charter school calls me Monday and says come sign your contract. I am getting so tired. I have to be in the home stretch right? What am I missing why am I not getting offers. I mean Ohio is a hard state to get hired in, but this is starting to wear me thin.

3. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

Congrats on all the interviews!! Wow!! That is awesome!! At least you're getting in for the interviews. I know a JOB would be great, but at least you're getting your face out there and making some connections.

Have you heard anything else from the charter school? I'd keep going on your interviews until you sign a contract.

Where in Ohio are you?

I'm from Ohio as well. I just feel like the market is saturated here.

Well good luck on all your interviews and keep us posted!!!

Good Luck!!

4. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

By the way, I think it's a really GREAT sign all the P's are calling you at unusual times!!

5. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 26, 2009

Good luck!!! Love your positive, upbeat title!

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 26, 2009

:)Just getting an interview for most posters without jobs right now is an accomplishment. Consider yourself very lucky. Maybe you could share some tips on why you think you are getting call backs. I am sure many would love to hear your secrets. And BTW - It def sounds like you are going to be getting a job offer WAY soon! All the best and please keep us posted. We care!:hugs:

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2009

Good luck!

8. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 26, 2009

Good luck! Let us know how it goes :) Can't wait to hear!

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2009

Good luck!

10. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 26, 2009

Good Luck!!!!!!

11. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

Thank you everyone. I am very nervous this week for the first time since Feb. I had nitemares all night that I was standing outside the school listening to them call out who got jobs lol.

I think I am getting calls for these reasons:

1. I have been hitting all schools regardless of what they are ie public, charter, private, district. I made a circle around Columbus and have done a lot of leg work to find every charter, private, and public school. Even if they had no jobs I sent my stuff.

2. I have a 4-5 generalist on my license and I was one of the first to add it to my p-3 so a lot of schools want that I can teach any subject self-contained or blocked.

3. I have a strong resume. The head of the Education department at my college helped me put it together. I have ever bit of field work I did with highlights of what I did in that specific grade. Here is an example
    Observed Grades 1 and 4, planned and taught lessons in technology and Language Arts including shared reading and guided reading, conducted K-2 Reading Assessments and running records, observed lessons in Music

I have also been making calls and visiting some schools in person.

I do not know what the magic is as I have applied to 70 schools here in the Columbus area I have had 7 interviews. The charter school has made an offer but I do not have the contract in my hand and continue to interview until I do.

I hope this helps. I think in this economy you cannot write off any school.

12. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

Well, 6:10pm here in Ohio and no calls or anything today. I am glad I continued to interview. I am getting myself set for my interview tomorrow. I feel like I need to go down in the basement and scream :dizzy:

13. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 27, 2009

Your not the only one. I thought I would hear something today as well...nothing.

I screamed in the car today. Then I just finished crying.

I'm going through somethings.

14. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 27, 2009

It does help!!! Thank you for ideas on boosting my resume. I think mine was pretty good but the part about reading is excellent.

Do you mind...what do you say to the P's or secretaries when dropping of your resume or calling?

Thanks!!!

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

Zanity~it could be that the P got busy today with an issue at school/district. Hopefully good news will be coming tomorrow!

16. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

It sounds like you are greatly qualified...7 interviews in Ohio...that's impressive!

17. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

l8ybugmom, I have been walking in and asking to speak with the P or administrator. A few times I have lucked out and talked to them and introduced myself, handed my packet to them, and given a short 2 min background speach. I have done a lot through email. I have emailed schools and P's with my stuff and done follow up calls. You just have to do things you normally would not have to do in this economy. On my interviews today I am taking a few extra things that I have not been taking. On top of both of my portfolio's I take my resume, letters of recommendation, and reference list. Today I am taking 2 lesson plans specific to the grades I know they are hiring and my student manual for 5th grade. I am about at a loss here as to what the magic bullet is.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

Good for you!!!

I love your attitude, and I'm so glad that it seems to be getting you results!!!!

19. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 28, 2009

Just say... Gimme a job!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
    Seriously, I would ask to see the P. If they say the P is not in or in a meeting, I would say..."I am Ginger Spice. I would like to drop off my resume and this brochure for the principal to look over. I am very interested in teaching in this school district." Be prepared. You never know when they may be interested in interviewing on the spot. I know it is scary walking in and doing this. But, in this market, it is almost essential. Good luck!:)

20. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

I am adding one more thing to my packet that I am taking with me today and tomorrow. The reflections I wrote after I did the lessons. So I have the complete lesson plan with state standards and the reflection. Now I am going to eat and get dressed my interview is at 11:30a today and tomorrow is 10:30a. Good Luck everyone go get your job.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

Knock 'em dead!

22. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

Good Luck!!!

Let us know how it goes!!!

23. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 28, 2009

LOL! How did you know that was MY name! :) This is kind of what I did yesterday when I was dropping off packets for vacancies postes so I guess I just do the same thing for those that do not currently have vacancies. Thanks!

Zanity, good idea about the lesson plans!! My state standards are for FL but I'm sure I could easily change them to fit TN standards. : ) Thanks again!!! Good luck!

24. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 28, 2009

:eek:Any news yet? (Like a kid - can't help myself!) Holding my breath until everyone finds a job! Hurry up HR, I'm turning purple!:|

25. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2009

I hope everyone hears good news today! (I know thats asking for a lot, but it sure would be nice!)

26. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

Back and just had a 1st, 2nd and 3rd interview all in one!

I have a very hard time with patience. It is a virtue I cannot control. So I am going over and over in my head all the way to this interview, how to handle this charter school that made me an offer but has not given me a contract. Should I call? Should I go? So I get to the interview and waited and waited, started to wonder if they were ever going to get to me.

So I go back, it is the p and 3 teachers. They were all excited and talking over my 4-5generalist on my license. They asked lots of normal questions. (This it the P that called me Sunday morning) So he hands me a school calendar and says we will be starting early Aug 10 for inservice. Then he asks me to get my stuff and right infront of me asks the teachers for their recommendations :eek: I about dropped. They all said YES, he says come this way and takes me over to the Lead Administrator who asks me tons of questions and is also excited over my license. Then asks me where my husband works I tell him and he gets all excited. He calls in the asst admin who comes in and asks me tons. He then says he will call me first either this afternoon or tomorrow!

What do you all think??? I am having a nervous break down!!

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

Sounds very promising! Crossing my fingers for great news!

28. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Jul 28, 2009

Sounds great! I'd be freaking out right now if I were you too! Good luck!

29. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 28, 2009

I'm excited for you!!! Sounds VERY promising! Please keep us updated!! If the charter school offered you a job but did not give you a contract yet...I wouldn't call them yet. Obviously after you get THIS offer and signed the contract then I'd call them and let them know!

30. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

Ok so let's add one more interview to the list and add 1 offer, 1 potential offer, and still no contract as of yet!! I had one of the suburb public schools call me to interview on Monday. Not to mention my phone was dead silent all afternoon except for the school that called to set up Monday's interview! I hate my phone some days lol.

31. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

Lol, I hate my phone some (most) days too! Looks like you'll have a job before you know it. Yay! Good luck on the upcoming interview.

32. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

This is working out in your favor...The public school interview is REALLY a great sign as well.

Great things are coming your way...I can FEEL it!!

Keep us posted!!!

33. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2009

Sounds great! Good luck!

34. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2009

Good luck some more!!! :D

35. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 28, 2009

Options... options... Which one will you choose if they all come through in the same time?:)

36. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

Well today's interview has been cancelled I am ok with it though because it was not in a very good location. I still have my big one coming up monday and 2 possible offers so I am just sitting tight. I am tired anyways today lol.

37. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 29, 2009

Why was it canceled? I wonder why it is taking so long to get your contract? Did you ever talk to the P? All the best!:hugs:

38. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

Update #2 ok the charter school who made me the offer just emailed me and stated that I am on the list and that they are scheduling a meeting Friday for all the new teachers and would call me to let me know what time. Ugg!

I wanted to add I have no idea why the other was canceled. I am ok with it I was not completely comfortable going to that school and that says a lot as I have taught in some pretty rough schools.

39. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2009

Here's hoping Friday is an excellent day and it comes with a contract!!!! :D

40. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

Was the canceled interview with another Charter?

Which Charter did you get a better feeling from? Which is closer to home?

I'm assuming they are going to want you to sign on Friday.
    Maybe if you HAVE to go on Friday and they want you to sign, you could say you'd like to take the contract home and show your husband to discuss. Or something like that.

I think it would be SO beneficial for you to try to hold out until at least Monday when the BIG interview is over. If it FEELS like the interview on Monday is REALLY going well, you could drop a hint that you are interviewing with other schools, but would LOVE to teach there!!

I know it sounds a little over the top and a job is a job, but I know where you're coming from. I think with your experience and license, the district on Monday will be VERY promising!!

Keep us posted. I'm getting really excited for you!!

41. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 29, 2009

I would call the second school and explain your situation. Say you would prefer to work for them, but you have this charter school that wants you to start friday. I did the same thing with a school, and magically an hour later HR called me and offered me the position!