Two Elementary Math Questions! :)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Starista, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 6, 2010

Hello,

Hi! I am going through all the great things in my new classroom this week! I have stumbled upon the math books. Our school uses Houghton Mifflin math. I have only taught 1st and 2nd grades before and our Math curriculum came with a student book -- consumable and colorful. We also had the option of ordering the "Practice workbook" for each child to use as homework, which we did in 2nd.

In my new 3rd grade classroom, we have the practice workbook which I plan to use as homework BUT there's also 25 hard-cover text books. These books are not the consumable kind that I used with 1st and 2nd grade. They're the text books for students to use year after year.

So.. here's my question (goodness I'm wordy!) -- How do I use the hard-cover Math textbooks? Each page has lessons and questions... so do I have the children copy the problems as well as their solutions?

For example if questions 1-10 are all multiplication facts, do I have them copy 2x5= 10 or just write 10? Do you have the children mirror the book? For example if the problems look like this:
    1. 5X10= 2. 5X20= 3. 4X10= 4. 6x7=
    Would you have your children write these horizontally to mirror the text?

Thank YOU!

Question two: I feel very strongly about daily math review in elementary school. In my past years of teaching, I fear that I did not spend enough time on numeracy as I did literacy. The children in 2nd grade last year truly benefited with me when we counted every day by 10s, 20s, 4s, etc... It was stimulating and fun. I am learning that when it comes to math -- they really enjoy a challenge. Watching some of their eyes as they would process a "mental math" question was as exciting to me as when a child would sound out a new word!

Anyway, for those of you familar with the Evan-Moor Daily Skills Review... I used these in 2nd for morning work. They work wonders.

I just purchased "Daily Lang. Review Grade:3" and was torn between "Daily Math Review" and "Daily Word Problem Review." These books are between 17-20 dollars and well... we're all pretty broke over the summer!

I went with the word problem book. In second grade we used this book and I was amazed at how many children struggled with this concept.

As a kid, I remember getting to the bottom of a worksheet or test (where the word problems always were waiting for me!) and dreading solving a problem. I do not think I properly understood the steps and strategies needed to solve a word problem.

Last year in 2nd we could spend 5 minutes on the word problem or 20. It was pretty cool. The worksheets have the kids have to show their work too. It was pretty interesting to see who wrote what to solve their problems.

Anyway, do you think I should buy the math review too? It's about 5 or 6 math problems sort of like a "mixed review." I could always get it later on and introduce it midyear?

Thanks for your help. I have never, ever been confident in my personal ability to perform well in math, which likely leads to all these questions!! In 8th grade, my mom and I spoke with my pre-algebrateacher about any extra credit I could do to bring up that "D." Mr. ___ chuckled and said "Math just isn't her thing..." We all have that one teacher who now, as teachers, we will never, ever, ever want to emulate - that's my teacher!

Well, he'd be happy to know that I try to go above and beyond to make sure ALL my kids have a love for math.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2010

No idea!

But as a secondary math teacher, I applaud your efforts!!! Particularly the emphasis on mental math-- it's a skill your kids will use forever!

4. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 6, 2010

Thank you so much, Alice. :)

None of my kids will leave my classroom thinking that they "can't do" math.

For the past two years, every Thursday afternoon, I have a math club. In second grade, the new concept of regrouping can really confuse kids! It is manipulative based and we have a lot of fun. There's even a snack! :lol::lol:

I do not think I will do this at my new school this year, as I will likely need time to adjust etc... but perhaps after Christmas! :)

5. MIteacher

MIteacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

3rd Grade Math

In our 3rd grade math classes, we used to use both a consummable workbook and a hard cover, but due to budget issues, the district isn't going to have the consummables this year. So...we are stuck with a very heavy hard cover book. It will be a challenge. I don't really have an answer to that one.

I think doing the daily word problems is an excellent idea. Buying the book is probably a good move. I tried to do daily word problems each day last year that I had made up myself, and it was difficult to do it that way. It would be much easier to use a book. I know they're pricey, but it will be worth it. The children get a lot out of daily practice with those types of problems.

Good luck! It sounds like you have some great things going!:)

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2010

Personally, I don't use a math text book. I am VERY good at math and very comfortable teaching it without the text. My team mate can not do the same. She uses it as a guide (I DO pull it out when doing things like order of operations because if I don't, the problem usually ends up to be too complex for 5th grade).
    Once in a while, I will pull the book up on my Activboard and have them do some practice problems.

As for question 2, my math series has a spiral review. In my experience, it is sometimes hard to match an outside review to what you are doing in class.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2010

We also did away with consumables. I copy the page or print it.

8. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Aug 6, 2010

For the Evan Moore books...

Check Amazon. Ive got quite a few Evan Moore books there for cheap (used) it is a life saver! Also, I have done the daily math, but the word problems are great. I used to (when I taught math) do them each day. I had transparancies (later I typed them on the smart board) and the kids did them and I walked around to check the answers. If they got the answer right, they got a sticker for their chart (30 = homework pass) That is something my co-op teacher did during student teaching. The word problems are still reviewing good math skills, and words as well.

Sometimes theres that problem that made everyone confused, Id usually get ONE kid who could do it (sometimes not even I could!) and they'd teach the class. Usually they were the logic type... but sometimes they werent. The book just has answers, so if you cant get to that answer... its tough!!!

ETA: Math books... our county switched math programs last year... (I dont like the new program for fifth) but we kept the old math books. Now, I had the kids get them for certain lessons. I dont use it often, so I kept them on a shelf. HOWEVER, I did like having them out when kids would get stuck on things. Id tell them the page number and have them read the book. We'd also sometimes read the lesson out loud for difficult things. I also taught them to use the index to look for things they had trouble with. They did this a lot when we had SOL review. So if you're comfortable with that, do it!!!

When I taught math (not this year :( ) I would basically just go through the curriculum. I taught it in the order that was logical to me, but made sure to hit each standard... this worked well for me and often I didnt use the book. Id use other resources (Mailbox books, other teaching books, internet)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  9. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 6, 2010

I struggled with this same issue (how to incorporate the hard-back book) last year as a teacher new to 3rd grade and not used to having a resource that wasn't consumable.

I usually introduced the skill/concept/lesson using my own knowledge and some manipulatives or a real-life connection. We used the book as a resource for practice - but didn't do every single problem. I used the practice workbook page as homework, giving them time to start on it in class. On occasion they had to lug home the heavy book, but not very often. We also had a 1-subject notebook in which we wrote all vocabulary terms and meanings/examples. I required this to be signed prior to a test to reflect that the students had studied the vocab.

We did do the textbook's problem solving and spiral review work orally, and had an Evan-Moor Daily PS book that I made into a Problem of the Day folder for each of them. The answer sheet was right next to each problem on the facing page and required an answer as well as work shown and a sentence explaining how to solve the problem and why this worked. This is huge for 3rd graders - to be able to think and write in order to communicate mathematically! This will go a long way to prepare them for the state testing open-ended response section.

As for what to have them write when using the h/b book, I always had them write the problem and answer. My 4th grade teacher taught us "if in doubt, write it out," and that has come in handy for my own class. At the beginning of the year, it takes a lot of practice and patience to get the new 3rd graders to set up their paper correctly and to leave enough spacing so we can actually tell what is what. ;)

This year we have a new program, and I am thinking about adding a quick 5-8 problem "maintenance" quarter sheet of paper that students would start on as soon as they come in - sort of a spiral review quickie, but I need to wait until we get in all of our resources before I decide for sure how to do this.

Good luck! PM me if you want me to send you the answer sheet I use for the E-M PS book.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2010

Question 1) When I used our old math series (which had a hard cover book and consumable practice book), I used the hard cover book during class and like a pp, did not do all of them. We just chose a few to practice. They had a math notebook where they did all of their problems. I didn't care if they did them horizontally or vertically as long as they put the problem and solution and checked it too. I modeled both ways to write the problems and told them to do whichever they liked. I prefer to do my problems up and down, especially when regrouping is involved!

Question 2) I love the daily review Evan Moor book. I've never used the word problem book, but I'm sure they are both great. If you get both, I would alternate which ones you use...both have excellent skills for practice and would be very useful, esp in a grade that (at least here) starts the state testing. Check out ebay or amazon to see if you can find it cheap!

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2010

Forgot to add for question 1 that we used the practice book (consumable) for homework!

12. MIteacher

MIteacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

copyright issues

I worry about copyright issues when copying the page.

13. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 6, 2010

Thank you all so much for these excellent suggestions! :)

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2010

I guess it might depend on the series. I have a set of blackline masters for the 2 math series I use (the old one and the new one adopted last year). I am fine with copyright. The new series also has all the stuff on line to print.
    I don't copy the actual workbook.

15. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 7, 2010

Hi! Once again thanks for all the help.

With a workbook that is labeled "Blackline Masters" -- we are free to copy for classroom use -- right?

Last year we used Harcourt Math and could could print off reteach or challenge pages... which I did and used sometimes for small groups.

Here's to hoping I won't end up in the clink! :lol::lol:

16. MIteacher

MIteacher Rookie

Aug 7, 2010

Good!

OK, good! :unsure: