Two district job fairs tomorrow

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Exclaimation Po, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Feb 29, 2008

Ok. I'm going to two district job fairs tomorrow. One I have an appointment for. The other I just found out about today, but they're taking walk-ins.

I'm feeling pretty positive about both. The walk-in district offered me a job two years ago, but I couldn't take it. It was literally the day before school started and I'd already accepted a job the day before (nothing like waiting for the last minute!). Hopefully, if they wanted me once before, they'll want me again!

The other district called me the day they got my packet to invite me to the job fair. That sounds promising!

Any good thoughts would be totally welcomed, though! :thanks:

3. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Feb 29, 2008

Good luck!

Are these job fairs in Southern California? I'm hoping to go to some, too.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 29, 2008

Good thoughts comin' your way! And energy, since I think I'd drop if I had TWO job fairs in one day... {{{{{{{{{{{{energy}}}}}}}}}}}

5. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Feb 29, 2008

Kippers Moreno Valley and Perris. San Jacintois having one that I think you can walk in to. Check their district website. Though, that might be a bit far for you. They're just not looking for me (social studies). You can also walk in to the Perris job fair. Check EdJoin for this fair... it's listed as Romoland.

TeacherShelly Thanks! This will be a walk in the park compared to my daily commute (170 miles round trip to teach a bunch of complainy middle schoolers).

6. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Feb 29, 2008

I'm heading to the same fairs, although I hope to go to San Jacinto and Perris.

Moreno Valley did not respond to my application. As a heads up, I hear the interview process with this district is really rough. Don't let them intimidate you. I had a friend asked to present a possible lesson plan for her field.

Perris was responsive but I don't think I'm fully qualified. Nevertheless, I'm going to go bug that district. They also have a military institute in addition to the two high schools. Something to note is the score differences between the two major high schools- you might focus on "filling the gaps" in your comments- but remember- I'm a total newbie at this so I'm no resource for advice.

However- these links may give you some nuggets of info. for Perris: http://www.puhsd.org/home.aspx
    http://www.puhsd.org/site_res_view_template.aspx?id=a552bae4-0e41-4d0a-bb9e-45c250e4b0da
    http://www.cmi.puhsd.org/user_profile_view.aspx?id=286b2c89-6aa1-41b7-a5b2-c85a70d56a9a
    http://www.puhsd.org/downloads/B754A2438D534B959BE580C41AEF895A/06_Perris Union HSD_Perris HS.pdf
    http://www.puhsd.org/downloads/7364...95BE/06_Perris Union HSD_Paloma Valley HS.pdf
    http://www.puhsd.org/downloads/4FCA1105F1D74D9A876391C849D2107E/06_Perris Union HSD_Pinacate MS.pdf
    http://www.puhsd.org/downloads/8A03...s Union High School District_District Summary.

I didn't even try to do Moreno Valley since they did not respond to me.

I'm working late trying to catch up and organize and feeling overwhelmed by the reality of our budget crisis.

I can't even imagine your current commute!

Another off-kilter place to apply is the Noli School with the Soboba Band of Luiseno Indians outside of San Jacinto. The main website has several single-subject postings listed but the school website has none. I have no idea if I'm even qualified with an intern credential for what appears to be a federal school, but I've been to the school site (years ago, another career) and it seems like it might be a fantastic experience. Pay scales are not posted.

Good luck tomorrow!

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 29, 2008

8. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 1, 2008

Good luck at the fairs, girls. :) I saw those on EdJoin, but all those schools would be way too far for me...at least 45 mins to the closest school. The furtherest I'd go that way is Corona-Norco...everything else would be toward Orange County for me!

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2008

Good luck today, Exclamation! Come back and let us know how it goes.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 2, 2008

I want to hear how the job fairs went!

Please post

Lemon

11. smalltowngal

Mar 2, 2008

Yes, inquiring minds want to know...:whistle:

12. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Mar 2, 2008

I only made it to one because I was speaking at a class on Saturday morning and it ran late. It doesn't look like I have a job at the one I interviewed for, I was told that if my credential was in moderate to severe spec. ed. I would be starting work Monday. Unfortunately, I'm mild to moderate.

However, the interview practice did help and I really liked the district representative. She made it painfully clear, however, that my intern status places me at the bottom of the food chain.

The other big thing is that with the full inclusion model for special education, I also must take a single subject CSET ASAP. I'm going for language arts. My university gave me different information and I'm frustrated because I could have put energies toward this exam a long time ago.

I'm feeling pretty disheartened right now.

I'm holding on for Friday's interview to yield results.

There was a woman who blew me away at the job fair, however. This was just a series of a couple of screening tables, and then being told to sit and wait for an interview- all conducted in classrooms individually. This woman showed up in jeans with no resume, etc. She dropped her keys loudly on the front table, asked a couple questions loudly, then liberally helped herself to a bagel and cream cheese from what looked like the staff table. Then she plunked herself down on the waiting benches and started texting on her phone. I thought she either had a million degrees and qualifications and had a job already bagged, or she couldn't care less. In a way, I wish I could have been her, confident and cavalier.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2008

No, you don't wish that, Kippers, not really: there's at least one thread current on A to Z complaining about people like that whom the field can't seem to get rid of.

As to CSET single subject, you're looking for English. Let me invite you to the Single Subject Tests subforum, http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=68. My sense is that, with a little brushing up, you'll do fine.

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 2, 2008

Okay Kippers...I am sorry you were only able to make it to one. Which one is your interview with on Friday? I guess what you can take away from this is the fact you need to somehow bring up the intern status at your next interview and find a way to turn it into a positive or put a positive spin on it. I feel like I have to do that with my alternative certification.

Regarding your last paragraph with the key lady in jeans, don'tyou just love that? She probably knew someone.

I tell you what I really love. It is when you sub at a school where you really, really want to work and you sit in the teacher lounge and all you hear are teachers complaining. Complaining about the students, the pay, the teacher in the room next to them, the principal, the new ice in the ice machine, the free coffee, and the fact they had to stay past 4:00 for a staff meeting. It is simply wonderful, NOT.

15. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Mar 2, 2008

I know what you mean about the complainer. The last time I volunteered at my DD's school, I was making copies in the teachers' lounge and there was a truly toxic spec. ed. teacher complaining in there. She just poisoned the air. That was the morning of my first interview and I vowed I would NEVER become her. What burned me especially was she was openly complaining about parents. Excuse me, there I was with my parent volunteer sticker! Plus, she had no way of knowing this, one of my children is in spec. ed. and I really truly hated hearing her complain. I've been in bad work environments, people at newspapers aren't the most idealistic crowd, but she was awful. Other teachers came in looking like they were ready to settle in, saw her, and scurried away.

16. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Mar 2, 2008

Thanks TG. I do wish I could carry off that level of confidence, though. The last two interviewers have remarked how "eager" I am, a polite choice of words for "beyond desperate."

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2008

Aw, Kippers: the nice thing about pencil-and-paper tests is that the people grading 'em have no way to know how "eager" (or terrified) you may be.

Does it help if I point out that 1/4 of one of the CSET English subtests is on journalism? (See http://www.cset.nesinc.com, click on Test Guides, scroll down to "English", click...)

18. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Mar 2, 2008

Thanks TG. One thing I am grateful for it my years of turning around copy under immediate deadlines. I had to learn to speak with authority on subjects I knew nothing about. The last few years, while I struggled to help make the monthly bills with young twins in tow, were spent doing marketing pieces. On a given day, I could write a piece on how to plan your own funeral, how to buy a pool table and the wonders of the XX retirement community- all during naptime plus a Blues Clues video.

The way I'm feeling now about the job hunt, I feel a little too close to planning that funeral and I'll never be able to afford that XX retirement community.

Thank you for the encouragement for the CSET. You were a huge help last year with the multiple subjects CSET. I was 41 when I took it, and had not touched math since I bailed out of trigonometry at 17. You helped me through some panic attacks and I did get a high score on math- (something I thought as likely as planning my own funeral and putting the plan into immediate action.)

I have one job fair confirmed for this week, found another one I might be able to crash (local university), and will track another for this weekend.

I look forward to hearing good news from everyone here.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2008

(chuckling)

Writing that's this deft and delightful will get you very far, Kippers, and the journalist's eye for detail, applied to literary and non-literary prose, will take care of the rest.

20. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Mar 2, 2008

Ok. The first one was so-so. I was a tiny bit late (the school district headquarters looked like an apartment buliding, I drove right by!) and whomever was supposed to interview me wasn't in the room I was assigned to (and I feel the need to remind everyone that I had an appointment). Someone walked by and asked why I was sitting there! They found two other people to interview me, but I felt as though they rushed me because they had an elsewhere to be. *sigh*

The second one was much, much better! I showed up about an hour before the end and was interviewed almost right away. I interviewed with the principal of one of the high schools and the AP of the high school we were at. They were both hilarious and I had fun just hanging out with them. The principal rembered seeing me at the big job fair a few weeks ago! Overall, I had a really good feeling about the interviews here.

I have to keep in mind that it's really, really early. Most schools haven't even sent out their letters of non re-election yet or asked teachers to fill out letters of intent. Hopefully I will have made a good enough impression, that once all the letters are sent out and stuff, I'll be remembered. There are still more job fairs in the future.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 3, 2008

A good start. Breathe, please.

22. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 3, 2008

Are any of you going to the upcoming job fair at National University? I think it's being held in Anaheim. That's the first one I'm going to be attending. I'm VERY nervous! I think it's because everyone is there for the same reason I am...and when you go into an individual interview at a district, there may only be one other person there as your competition...but at the fairs, they're thriving with them! eeek!

23. smalltowngal

Mar 3, 2008

Exclamiation, I'm sorry about the first experience, but the second sounds very promising! Good luck!!

24. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Mar 3, 2008

I tried to look this up online and couldn't find it. Do you mind posting a link?

Don't be nervous. If this is your first one, it will be a good experience. I felt like a veteran by my second job fair. I seem to be hitting all the job fairs in Southern California right now.

There is also one at UC Riverside this week, but I don't know if it is restricted to UCR students only.

25. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 4, 2008

26. cbrett1984

cbrett1984 Rookie

Mar 4, 2008

This job fair is for students only. On a good note I interviewed with two districts on saturday and it looks like I am going to get contract offers on both. I currenty work for MVUSD so that one was not a suprise but perris was. Good luck to all.

27. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Mar 5, 2008

Congratulations on the contract offers! I am totally impressed.

I was at one of those job fairs and tried to attend the second one (MV), but was told I would be contacted by them ONLY if they wanted me to interview. Yesterday I was invited to NOT attend a county office of education job fair coming up.

Can I ask you to be brutal with me? Please! What are you doing right and I am doing wrong? Without sharing too much personal information, what are your credentials, field, experience, etc.:help:

If you have time, I would be INCREDIBLY grateful for advice, criticism, etc. I am a CSU credential student, so that lets me go to the job fair tonight.

Right now I feel like I'm wearing a big "L" for "loser" on my forehead, or like the girl who is asking every boy in school to go to the prom

:thanks: