Two days, two job interviews in two weeks!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by missklyssa, Apr 27, 2012.

1. missklyssa

missklyssa Rookie

Apr 27, 2012

In the past two days, I've received two calls to schedule interviews in the next two weeks.

The first interview is on Wednesdays (May 2nd) and is for a small 1A school district about a 30 minute drive away from where I live with an average class size of 10. I saw the job posting online and e-mailed my resume to the principal, though I've never actually filled out an application. When the principal called, he asked me to come in so that they could "talk to me." It would be an EC-4 job, the grade hasn't been specified yet.

The second interview is on May 10th for a first grade position at a school in the city I currently live in. Ideally, I'd be able to stay in the district without having a lengthy commute.

My question is..if I get an offer for the first interview, what should I do? At this point, I'll take a job just about anywhere that doesn't require me to move - but I don't really want to pass on the second interview since that's my ideal position. I'm just not sure if I should mention the second interview or not!

3. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Apr 27, 2012

If you get offered the first job, try to stall until you go for the second interview.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2012

I agree. Maybe don't accept the offer (if there is one) until you can see about the second job, which sounds more ideal.

5. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Apr 28, 2012

Agreed- taking a few days to commit isn't unusual. I would not mention the 2nd interview to the first school though.

On the other hand, if you get an offer from the first school and haven't heard from the 2nd school a few weeks after the interview, I might call them up and mention your offer from the first school. That might speed up their decision process if you are a strong contender for them. :)

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2012

Ask for some time to think about your options.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Apr 28, 2012

Granted i have never been in Early Childhood and states name things differently but I would assume EC-4 means Early Childhood with 4 year olds. Like Pre-K 3 or Pre-K 4.

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2012

Ec-4 means she can teach grades from pre-k to 4th grade.

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2012

Congrats on the interviews! If you are offered a position at the first, ask for time to think and talk it over with your family. Then at your second interview, mention to them that you have a job offer and see what happens. But you can't make job #1 wait for weeks for an answer if they offer it to you right away.

Good luck!

10. missklyssa

missklyssa Rookie

Apr 30, 2012

I actually got a call this morning about an interview for either a kindergarten or 2nd grade position (there are two that are open) that I went to this afternoon. I'm trying not to be too excited..but it went well! The principal said he hopes to make a decision this week, so hopefully I'll know something soon.

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2012

Good luck!

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2012

Yay! When it rains, it pours...hope you have good news soon! I taught a year of K that was fun and currently teach 2nd which I love!