Two darn annoying things. I need to vent.

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Jane Err, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Jane Err

Jane Err New Member

Sep 28, 2011

1. I accepted a half day job from 7:15-11:15. Now I used to teach and I always made totally sure that I would be back by the time for the sub to leave if I took a half day. Otherwise I took a whole day off. So what time did the teacher come back? 11:35. And she walks in with fast food if I recall correctly. Sorry if she didn't have time for lunch but that is between her and the school, not me.

Yes, I so enjoy working extra time without being paid. The aide told me to leave but there is no way I would leave a class uncovered. It's only $4 but since taking a $40,000 pay cut after quitting teaching, every bit counts. I wanted to be able to sign out with the time at the office so at least I would have a record but they don't require subs to sign out. Grrr.

2. I took a long-term sub job (which I hate doing-I sub for the flexibility) just because jobs are rare this time of year. Not only were the kids completely disrespectful but I cancelled a doctor's appointment that was to occur during the job. There was supposed to be another week left in the job at that point. But the teacher came back early and the day of the appointment turned out to be my last day. So now I have to wait another month for an appointment and will run out of my ADHD medication in 3 days. Yes, it was that kind of doctor's appointment. Denying my health for a bunch of rude kids. Pathetic.

3. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 28, 2011

I've found that half-day sub jobs rarely end at the time they're scheduled to end. Around here they're set to end when the kids go to lunch, say 11:15. That means I take them to lunch at 11:15, wait until they get into the cafeteria staff's hands, then go back to tidy up the room and grab my stuff. It's still a shorter day, but I don't count on the day ending at an exact time. I've also had the office staff call and ask me to stay the entire day. Unless it's a half-day afternoon job, you kind of need to be flexible to things beyond your control, as much as that can mess up other plans.

If you quit teaching, why are you subbing? It seems like that's just exchanging one set of aggravations for another.

Can you tell the doctor's office you're low on meds? Maybe they can call in a few days worth to your pharmacy and get you in on a cancellation sometime before your appointment.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 28, 2011

In my district you work a full day. There are no half day subs. If the teacher needs a half day sub, the district pays for a full day and the office or library use her until she leaves to go to the classroom. That is not even an option and probably for some of the reasons that you cited.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2011

We work on a "balanced" day schedule--2 periods, recess, 2 periods, lunch, 2 periods, home--a half day sub is finished half-way between recess and lunch, and the expectation is that they leave then. The administration is responsible for ensuring that the class is covered if the teacher has not yet returned to class.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2011

I agree that as a sub, you do need to be flexible. Here, subs got paid by the day, not hour. So, you got paid $45 for half day, $90 for full day. So, if you worked 2 hours, you got $45. If you worked 3.5 hours, you also got $45.

So, I take it you get paid by the hour then??

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 28, 2011

I've never been a sub, but I suspect what you described is just part of what it means to be a sub ... standard, typical things.

8. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 28, 2011

I think that Long-term jobs can sometimes be a little inconvenient. I was offered one about two weeks ago and was told at the time that it would start on October 7th. I had some other days that teachers had requested me for shortly after October 7th that I ended up having to cancel. I met with the teacher last week and she told me that she doesn't know that it will be October 7th because she is going to work up to her delivery (maternity leave). I wish I would have been told that originally so that I could have kept those jobs!

9. Jane Err

Jane Err New Member

Sep 30, 2011

I guess expecting the same courtesy I gave when I was a teacher is out of the question.

I quit teaching because I taught inner city high school kids science for over 15 years and was burnt out. I have a special needs child who needs more attention and flexibility than I can provide as a full-time teacher in an extremely high stress environment. I'm also sick of being hated by the public for trying to help people. I was sick of sacrificing my own family to be an object of disdain.

Usually subbing is much better than teaching full-time.

We do get paid by the day. If I went over half a day by even 5 minutes, I am supposed to get paid for the whole day. But the sub office won't know since I didn't get to sign out and indicate the time.

I apologize for bothering anyone with my issues.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2011

You aren't bothering anyone...I think the reality of subbing is that it too can be frustrating and requires flexibility.
    Why didn't you tell someone in the office of your extended time before you left?

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 30, 2011

You aren't bothering anyone. I was just curious as to why you made the choice you made. It wasn't a challenge. I've been subbing for two years and hoping for a full time position. I'm aware of the hassles of subbing and I wondered why if you wanted to leave teaching you wouldn't leave the field entirely. If the flexibility is what works for you, then that's that.

I think people were just trying to share how it works for them in terms of the half day/full day thing. Nobody was trying to come down on you. If you have such a straight out policy in your district, you may want to follow up next time and make them see that you feel taken advantage of.

And in general, expecting the same courtesy from others that you show is pretty much a useless expectation. I wish it meant something, but a lot of people only think about themselves and their own needs.