Two Christmas questions...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by wannabeteach, Nov 27, 2005.

1. wannabeteach

wannabeteach Rookie

Nov 27, 2005

What is the best gift you've ever received from a student?

What gift do you long for?

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2005

A personal letter from a student I had 5 years prior. He wrote it (I could tell he did all the writing), typed it, signed it, put it in a pretty frame with his picture. It is my most treasured gift!

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

It wasn't for Christmas, but for my birthday...last year, my school participated in the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Pennies for Patients program. My head room mom went behind my back (in a good way!) and collected extra donations for our class in honor of my mom (who died of lymphoma when I was 4) and for my birthday (which was the following week). The kids all signed a birthday apron when I was out of the room and the mom stuck the checks in apron's pockets. I was floored when I came back and found it sitting on my chair:)

The gift I long for...unrealistic- townhouse or condo...lol; realistic- gift certificate for a massage :)

5. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2005

Gift certificate for a massage sure sounds good!!!! Parents listen up!

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

lol...I had one parent give me one at the end of my first year of teaching. In the envelope was a note saying I deserved to treat myself. It was wonderful!!! :)

7. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2005

After teaching many years I have way to many coffee mugs, ornaments, teacher knicknacks so anything for ME is greatly appreciated. (Sorry if I sound selfish) Now if I get a new mug, ornament, or teacher knicknack I will not be ungrateful!

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

I know the feeling, and scary enough, I'm only in my 3rd year of teaching! I have enough teacher ornaments, mugs, and candles to fill my new home whenever I finally have enough money for one!

9. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2005

Candles I do like. You can just burn them then they are gone!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 27, 2005

My first year at this school, I called the class Busy Bees and got tons of bee-related things, as you can imagine. The best was for teacher appreciation week. They gave me a 14 kt gold bee studded with real pearls. I was in shock for a long time.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

I have one parent who is very generous and gives me flowers and gift certificates nearly every occasion. She truly understands what it's all about. I am so sick of coffee mugs, that when we listed things we wanted on our lists, I put, "please no coffee cups, I have a million!" I know it is a traditional gift, but parents need to realize that we like other things besides cups!!!

12. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 27, 2005

Candles I don't like! I got a crazy amount of them last year! I gave away all but one, to the family White Elephant gift exchange. My husband's nephew got them!!

13. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2005

Oh I also regift many things. I hope no parent I know is reading here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 27, 2005

Last year I got a beautiful crystal Lenox clock for one holiday, and a lovely china tea set on a tray for another holiday - both from the same child.

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

I like candles, but my dad has a no candle-burning rule...he's so strange! lol So they all get brought to my boyfriend's apartment (who really likes candles for some reason!)

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

I love candles but get way too many of those as well. I don't like so much stuff sitting around my house. It gets too cluttered. I mean really, how many candles can a person burn at one time and how often do you like to run around your house lighting them, and then remembering to blow them out. Too much of a fire hazard. I like to have one on my dining table and maybe one in the kitchen, but that is it.

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

Several years ago I got a nights stay in a fancy hotel for my family, dinner was paid for (very nice restaurant,) and breakfast was brought to our room. In addition to that, I was given a gift certificate to the mall for 100.00. I have never received such an elaborate gift since then.........the whole class chipped in for it. It was great.
    I love candles.............especially Yankee candles. I always have candles burning in my home, especially in the winter........so cozy!

18. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 27, 2005

For 4 years I worked at a private school and the parents had a lot of money. I received gift certificates, purses, Ralph Lauren sunglasses, jewerly, money, and so on. I was floored by all these gifts! I am not a big fan of candles and I have too many mugs. I don't drink coffee and I drink tea only when I am sick so I have no use for them! My favorite are the notes I get. A parent wrote the principal a letter on how wonderful I was. I cried when I read it and it meant a lot to me.

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

A parent sent me a copy of the letter she sent to the principal requesting that I have her son for 3rd grade this year. I got teary-eyed when I read it. Sometimes you have no idea what impact the parents see that you have on their children:)

20. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Nov 27, 2005

The best gift I have received is a gift certificate for the local school supply store and I would love another one. It is so fun spending money on cute notepads and extras for the classroom.

21. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

Gift certificates to Beckers (a teacher store by me) are on my list every year!! :)

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

Many times the kids will give me cat related gifts and those are special to me. I recall getting a Christmas card from a dad. He said how grateful he was that I was "there" for his little girl and that he felt I was a wonderful person. That really touched me. I keep all of the cards and notes from parents.

23. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

I do too Grammy. The notes, cards and kind words are remembered far longer then any other gift. Those words truly come from the heart.........and mean the most to me!:love:

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

One year I had a little boy who had CP. At the end of the year his mom gave me a card that said, "God knew just who Ethan needed for a teacher and he sent me." That brought tears to my eyes.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 27, 2005

Oh, my, yes, that WOULD bring tears to one's eyes!

26. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 28, 2005

Teaching is hard work and you all deserve all the goodies you get, wether its your 100th #1 Teacher coffee mug filled with those hard candies, or a certificate to the spa! I must admit that if my kids were going to ps then their teachers would probably get a tray of cookies, (for I wouldn't be on this site to know what they really would like) but my kids don't go to ps, I school my kids, I am their teacher, but I don't get those cute teacher things you all say you are tired of, my rewards are the simple ones, the times when one of them finaly get that topic they have been struggling with, when they give me a paper back that has nice handwriting .......sigh.:rolleyes:

27. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 28, 2005

The best present from a student was a painting he made for me! He was 17 at the time. Great kid! I think he graduates this yr.

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 28, 2005

The kids draw me so many pictures all day long that I can't keep all of them. One that stands out was drawn by a little girl last year. She drew me with a fancy red dress and high heels...it was awesome!!!

29. janlee

janlee Devotee

Nov 28, 2005

The best gifts I received was from the class that I looped with second grade then to third grade three years ago. The first Christmas I received two gift certificates from the class.One was to Hallmark and the other to an upscale restaurant in my town. The next year the class presented me with a leather bag that had a silver engraved tag with my name and the years I had the students. I use it each and everyday as my carryall. The classmothers collected money from each student's parents who wished to contribute to my gifts. I had tears in my eyes each time I opened these gifts. My gift as the end of the twoyears was a heart pendant with two diamonds. What a send off. I know this was a once in a lifetime class.
    In my area many class moms ask parents if they wish to donate a few dollars to put towards one gift for the teacher. Most times everyone donates and if they don't the class moms put everyone's name on the card so no one is left out. Gifts have been for manicures and pedicures, facials, massages, gift certificates to department stores, restaurants. I think this is the right way to go. How many mugs, candles, etc. can you keep.

30. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 28, 2005

I wish parents would just think and show their appreciation ... we have their kids more hours than they do .

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 29, 2005

A parent of one of my students was an artist who worked for a stained glass shop. She made a beautiful stained glass piece to hang in a window and put all the kids' names on it.

32. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2005

on the other end of this question, that is from the parents side........I hope teachers remember to send thank you notes no matter what the gift!!! I get so irritated when I go to the trouble of sending a nice gift for a teacher, and then I never even get a thank you note from them. It happened twice for my children and I'll never forget that. :( A thank you note is a MUST!

33. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2005

Best gift I recieved: last year before I started to stay home I worked at a local YWCA and ran their daycare. 5 of the kids in my sons class came with me to my home as I opened up my family daycare after the Y closed it's doors. Last Christmas (it could have been teacher day, but nonetheless, I love it) they all chipped in and bought me this star shaped trinket box from Things Engraved. On the front it said "Best Teacher, Ms. Jennie". Inside the box were 5 silver pewter stars with each of the kids names engraved on them. It was the sweetest most hearfelt gift I have recieved. To make it even more special, one of my kids happened to pick it out herself.

Gift I'm longing For: The honeymoom I never had!!! A Sandals Resort would be nice:). An all-inclusive package on one of the resorts where no kids are allowed. Of course, I am dreaming and not being realistic, but a girl can dream can't she?????

34. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2005

Speaking of thank you notes...I do personal thank you notes to all of the children and their parents no matter what they bring as a gift or treat, etc. I find it lazy and poor manners when teachers post a general thank you to 'all who brought gifts and treats." I am a stickler on thank you notes! This summer /fall we gave wedding gifts to 3 couples and have yet to receive a thank you. I put a great deal of planning and money into these gifts and I find it so rude.

35. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2005

Grammy, I am so glad I am not the only one who is a stickler on those things. I agree, it is VERY poor manners to post a general thank you. I keep thank you notes in my desk because I always send them as well for treats and gifts. :) Grrrrrrr...........doesn't that make you mad when you don't receive a thank you? , I too am waiting on a thank you from a bride who was married in early August........and still no thank you. Don't people learn proper etiquette anymore? Sheesh!

36. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2005

I think I learned this quality of "thankfulness" and the proper way to show it from my Grandmother. I rarely saw her, but we wrote letters back and forth often. Even my mom would say(after I was married), that I didn't need to send thank you cards to her for a birthday gift or Christmas because I had already said it...and I just ignored her and sent one anyway! I can hardly think of getting anything more rewarding than a heartfelt thank you card from someone. It makes all my efforts seem so worthwhile. I in turn like to bestow the same feelings on others. I don't know, maybe they don't get the same thrill that I do! Speaking of "cards", has anyone been to Hallmark lately? I was there today and had to buy the 3 cards to get the free children's book(which by the way, is beautiful!) and I was reading cards and laughing out loud...I LOVE LOVE LOVE cards!!!!!!

37. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2005

I love cards, too!! I haven't been to the Hallmark store, but now I will definitely go.........what is the book?
    I get the "thank you note itis" from both of my parents. They taught all of us from a very young age the importance of showing your gratitude to others...........I'm with you completely on this one, grammy.........surprise, surprise...teehee. I feel the same way as well when I receive a thank you note.........especially from my parents or students!!! Those make my week, month, and year sometimes!!! :)

38. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2005

The book is the Snowbelly family of chillyville inn..and I'm not kidding, it is just beautiful! Hard cover, large picture of bright colors...your kids would just love it.....and you can buy ANY 3 cards, which is easy to do at Hallmark. One I got today is for my friends birthday...two women talking about who has the biggest butt!!! I could spend a lot of time in that store! I bought the advertised hand and soap set , of cranberry and ?I forget the other scent, but I tried the samples and smelled good the rest of the day at work! But hurry up on the book because they go fast.

39. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2005

thanks for the heads up.........I will have to go tomorrow after work!!!! I hope they still have them!!!

40. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2005

Just look up Hallmark online if ya really want to see some of their stuff. Some is pricey, but there are very pretty things.....and then there are the cards!!!

41. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Nov 29, 2005

I got that book over the weekend. It is really cute. I already read it to my daughter and my class.