Twitter

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Mr.history, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 17, 2013

Do any of the high school teachers here use Twitter with their students? I'm doing my masters in technology right now and one of the tools we discussed this week was twitter.

If you use this with your students, how do you use it? Do you send out assignment reminders, cool sites about what the students are learning, ect?

I'm hesitant about it but interested.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 17, 2013

Our student spirit group has one. I'm thinking about having my AP class set one up next year and do weekly grammar tips.

4. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 17, 2013

That sounds like a good use. I created myself a twitter and I linked it to the blog I made as well. I think I'm going to use it to "remind" students to check the blog when I've put new content on it.

I may even put extra credit assignments on there or something. Not sure.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 17, 2013

I was using twitter for a while to record new assignments, so that if the kids are a bit lost on what page we're at already, or needed to fill in the table of contents for the unit, they could check the website, and all I had to do was send a quick thing by phone.

Worked great, until I found out that Twitter regularly empties out old tweets, so the students couldn't go back and see the Tables of Contents for previous units, or even older assignments in this unit. I've been looking for an alternative that doesn't delete the tweets.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 17, 2013

I think it could be useful but I don't use it. It's blocked by our district filter. Neither I nor my students would be able to access it at school, making it sort of pointless.

I use Edmodo to send out assignment reminders and post resources.

7. Strick

Strick Rookie

Apr 17, 2013

I've had students do a quick assignment with it. I'll use a certain hashtag where they have to send in the answer to a question or do a 140 character summary of something we read. This is a good "ticket out". My only problem, since we don't have computers in the room all the time, my students have to use their cell phones. I have some that do not have internet access on their phones or some that don't bring them (yes, they do still exist!), so I have those students write the tweet out or something similar.

8. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Apr 21, 2013

I've been using Twitter in my classes for about 6 months now, and I LOVE IT! I was hesitant at first, but it has turned out great. I send out reminders about assignments, test tips, extra credit, and the one tweet all of my students wait for... class averages on the latest exam.

Next year during our open house, I plan on trying to get parents to follow me as well. Just picture it... Little Jimmy's mom asks him, "Have you studied for the test your teacher just tweeted about?!" How great would that be?

I also like @Strick's idea of using tweets as an exit ticket. Hadn't thought of that one!

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 21, 2013

Not allowed in my district. And you'd get fired if you got caught (has happened).

There are texting services out there that have similar functions. You send a text to the service and they send it out to everyone who has joined your group.

10. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Apr 21, 2013

I use it for the extracurriculars I sponsor. I tweet about the meetings, due dates for forms, money, etc., reminders about fundraisers or spirit activities and so on.

I also update on facebook and post signs all over school and yet kids still insist they didn't know about it.

11. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 21, 2013

Hmm... I definitely want to use Twitter to send out reminders and stuff. It sounds like I better ask for permission first though.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2013

In your opinion, what makes Twitter better than other similar services, like Edmodo or the text-blasting sites?

13. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 21, 2013

I haven't used Edmodo a lot but I think the appeal to Twitter is that the students are already using it. They don't have to go out of their way to access it like a blog which will often go unchecked by many students.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2013

Do you have any concerns about anything that they might post using their personal Twitter accounts? What if they post an inappropriate picture or vulgar language or something? Would any of that be something that you'd have to police?

15. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 21, 2013

My understanding of Twitter is that the students would follow me, I wouldn't follow them. By doing it this way I wouldn't see anything they post. As far as what they do privately I just wouldn't know.

Here is a video that explains how to set it up this way:
    http://learnitin5.com/Twitter-Privacy

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2013

What if they have an inappropriate username or profile picture? Both those things are publicly viewable.

17. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 21, 2013

But for it to show up on the classes Twitter page I would have to approve them to follow me. I guess they could change the picture after I approved it? Not sure.

18. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 22, 2013

You have to approve followers. If they changed it after the fact, I would ask them to change it and take it from there.

I think the key here is keeping the P in the loop.

19. TeacherAnon

TeacherAnon Rookie

Apr 22, 2013

Weebly site. Free for educators.

20. Strick

Strick Rookie

Apr 22, 2013

I use this to remind students (and parents) about tests, projects, homework, etc. It's free, and I LOVE IT! :love:

21. chris86

chris86 New Member

Apr 23, 2013

I just use it to remind students about test dates, or to post a link to the school web page of mine which has powerpoints and stuff. It kind of happened by accident. I used twitter, realized a couple of my students were following me, and decided to just go with it and every now and then post school stuff.

I use my own twitter, not a "teacher profile" or something to post that stuff, so I know there are probably teachers out there leery of doing that. I just wouldn't follow them back or anything like that.

22. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Apr 23, 2013

I LOVE weebly. It is quick to set up and easy to use. I made a portfolio on weebly. Fun to create :)

23. iheartscience

iheartscience Rookie

Apr 24, 2013

I use Edmodo. Twitter is blocked at school and Edmodo is WAY more functional for me- when I send out reminders, I can attach their assignments to it. As far as the students being used to it, a lot of my students really like Edmodo because they can talk to their classmates about assignments, etc without actually having to exchange numbers or being facebook friends/twitter followers/whatever. We also have a schoolwide policy of using Edmodo, so that may contribute to their willingness to use it. I have also tried things like Remind101 and like them....the privacy concerns with Twitter are just a little too much for me.

24. cozzmokramer

cozzmokramer Rookie

May 9, 2013

I a school who has this as a policy as untrusting and insulting to educational professionals. Under this rule, will I be able to tweet to my daughter if she is in my class? Sounds silly, but under this policy, I would have to send a message to a intermediary at school if I text her. (There was a school employee who got into trouble for this under a zero tolerance policy.)

In my opinion, this creates a work climate of distrust that disparages and demeans our adult professional employees. In essence here is the message being sent:

Dear Teachers,
    We trust you with the children, but not with your cellphones or computers.
    Yours truly,
    Administration

How is it any different from me sending an email or a note to a student athlete telling them 'good game' or 'you need to work on being strong with the ball when you are in the post'. After the season is over I have personal evaluation sheets I fill out and give to each one of my players, will these notes need to be photocopied and given to another adult?

Common sense would say that a professional code of conduct should apply whether you are speaking in person, on the phone, via email, texting, or through posts using a variety of electronic media or Web 2.0 tools. These tools actually provide a written record of communication, so that in itself provides a level of accountability. We should trust teachers to interact in a professional manner instead of and quashing their ability to communicate and collaborate digitally with students. Part of schools vision is promote our students to possess the knowledge, skills, and attitude to learn in a technological world, so tell me how does restricting electronic communication in the 21st century help achieve this goal?

25. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

May 9, 2013

One word: Twitterwall.

26. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 9, 2013

cozz,

our policy specifies that you can seek special permission from the administration for exceptional circumstances. having your own child as a student would of course be okay.

The difference between emailing and using FB or Twitter is the secrecy involved. Emails are open for admin to review at any time. I wouldn't even know if they were read.

I think your statement that this is claiming no trust is a bit weak. Of course the district cannot, and should not, fully trust every employee with children. Too much is at stake. It does not insult me to be told I shouldn't be alone in the building after hours with a student. It doesn't insult the special Ed teachers to be told they have to have two people present when changing diapers.

Plus, policies like this protect the staff as well as the students.

27. cozzmokramer

cozzmokramer Rookie

May 9, 2013

In 1999, "Trench Coats" caused teenagers to commit mass murder, in 2012 'cellphones and social media' cause teachers to abuse students.... and the wheel of stupidity goes round and round.

I NEVER SAID that there was no trust. Go back and read it again. In every thing you described there is a level of trust. However in your initial post you described a 'zero tolerance' policy which is inherently totally distrustful. Zero tolerance is, in my opinion, what weak administrators fall back on.

I actually know of a teacher who "facebooked" his daughter who was a student in his class and he was given a unpaid 'leave of duty' because of a stupid 'zero tolerance' policy like you have so vehemently defended. So, needless to say, I am not gonna agree with you on this.

In fact, there is a group that has appealed these type of laws to a federal court, because of the glaring 1st amendment violation. That federal circuit court ruled that no state could pass a law like this, but that individual school districts could come up with their own policies.

Next step is those school policies will be subject to judicial review and constitutional law if/when they are challenged. (There are four such cases pending right now.)

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 9, 2013

I don't believe this.

29. cozzmokramer

cozzmokramer Rookie

May 9, 2013

I couldn't believe it either. It's true though, frankly I can understand how you wouldn't believe it.

It happened in LaDue, Missouri and as a result that state's policy has since been adjusted because another teacher at the school took it upon herself to appeal it to a federal circuit court. I am not going to mention the names involved, I have given enough information about it.

If you still don't believe it that is your prerogative.

30. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 9, 2013

I don't believe it because there is always an allowance for a teacher to make decisions for and about his family from the perspective of a PARENT, not as a teacher 100% of the time. It's why teachers who are parents are allowed to drive their kids to school, even though most school policies prohibit teachers transporting students in their personal vehicles.

I don't believe the story at all. To me, it sounds like an urban legend along the lines of "I once knew of these two twins named Lemonjello and Orangejello....". Nobody himself has actually met those two twins, but we've all heard stories about them. They don't exist. This guy in this story doesn't exist either. Find me a news article that proves it and I might change my mind.

31. cozzmokramer

cozzmokramer Rookie

May 9, 2013

I went back and edited my previous post to include the city, state of this. Once again if you don't believe it, fine. It happened, and I can assure you that I know of personally. It happened in 2011, and if you google 'facebook law Missouri' I'm sure you will stumble upon it.