Twitter questions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Curiouscat, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Aug 5, 2015

Is anyone successfully using Twitter as a means of creating a school/home connection?

I've considered it, but I have many concerns. Anyone willing to share their opinions or experiences?

3. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 5, 2015

How about give Remind101 a try?

It's safe. Effective. And, even helps with that school/home connection.

If parents have questions, they can email directly or send a note with the child.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 5, 2015

I am sure there are teachers out there who use it, but I would be concerned with the number of parents who don't have Twitter. I know there are billions of users or whatever, but it seems like I don't know very many of them!

5. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Aug 5, 2015

I have a classroom Twitter account (as do many teachers in my building), but I use it mostly for teacher-student communications. While I always make parents aware of my account (at Open House, Conferences, etc), very few follow me.

Many students, however, seem to like to follow me for updates/class info/etc (as well as my snow-day predictions, which are near perfect!!). I've also answered more than one homework question via Twitter.

I agree that Remind is probably a better way to go if you're wanting parent involvement.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 5, 2015

Our school has a Twitter account that shares updates. It has some parent/community followers and a TON of student followers.

I don't use it for my class because we have a platform (Canvas) that lets me communicate with students.

Some of our school clubs use Twitter to keep students updated.