Twitter ... it gets a bad name ... but shouldn't

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ku_alum, Mar 28, 2010.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 28, 2010

I've shared a few posts here about Twitter.

I've talked Twitter to my real life coworkers.

I've given presentations at education conferences on the value of Twitter.

I've shared with many how my online PLN (professional learning network) that I've built via Twitter is my DrEaM set of colleagues.

While I KNOW that you won't understand the value of Twitter until you become engaged in it, let me share some of the tweets that occured recently.

I'm removing Twitter names from the tweets ...

These tweets are from people I follow (they are not tweeted directly to me) and can be read by anyone that follows that tweeter.

==============================================
    Tweet =
    state reading assessment tomorrow - wish us luck!

Tweet =
    Has education changed since the Industrial Revolution? A 2:30 minute video. http://bit.ly/d0ITSa

Tweet =
    When I'm citing a source that is cited within the source I'm reading, do I cite the original or the person citing the original?

Tweet =
    You cite the source in front of you as the person citing the original may have changed it. That is why I try I find the original.

Tweet =
    Make your own handwriting worksheets http://bit.ly/c3npCH I WISH our 5th graders used this ;)

Tweet =
    Collection of web20 tools for schools categorized by type: http://bit.ly/4r22ST Excellent site!

Tweet =
    Hang in there. Things will get better. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Tweet =
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember: An amateur built the Ark--professionals built the Titanic.”

Tweet =
    MUST read 4 parents/schools: Former Bullies Share What Motivated Behavior http://bit.ly/dj6x45

=============================================

If this is mildly inspiring to you and you want more info, PM me.

If Twitter still seems like a waste of your time and you aren't interested, that's okay, too.

Oh, I'm not an employee of Twitter. I'm a HS teacher in a rural midwest school. :)

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2010

I love Twitter as well and it is a powerful tool in so many ways!

I don't tweet about anything education-related, mainly fitness, food, health, and life-related tweets. It's amazing how many other like-minded individuals I've been able to connect with through Twitter.

I've also seen the benefits for businesses for reaching their market and I've seen it the other way as well, from the market to the business. I read a tweet from someone venting about the poor service at a New York restaurant, within hours, the restaurant contacted the individual, offered an apology, and sent her gift certificates.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 28, 2010

I agree, EmmaKate. I think the value of Twitter comes from tailoring it to your needs/wants. For me, it is strictly education professional development. But, I know others use it in the ways you described.

Cool, huh?

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2010

I'm definitely interested, but know my limitations. I am so swamped at work, that I can't possibly add a new obsession. It is on my summer To Do list, so I'm hoping you can help me through getting started then.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2010

Mrs C, you put it perfectly.

I don't think that most things like Twitter have an intrisic positive or negative value-- it's all in how they're used.

But right now is NOT the time for me to spend any MORE time on the computer than I already do.

KU, can you bump this thread in the middle of June??

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 29, 2010

Alright, MrsC. This summer! :)

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 29, 2010

Absolutely! :)

9. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2010

KU-
    I, too, am a Twitter user, and the people that I follow are an eclectic group - everyone from Jim Burke and Carol Jago in the ed world to authors Meg Cabot and Laurie Halse Anderson. I think it's amazing that I can put a question out there and get a response from Donalynn Miller or Scott Westerfeld in a matter of minutes!

If you want to know my twitter user name, pm me....

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 29, 2010

It is a matter of minutes ... I was PMing a member here about Twitter that is a Mac user (I am a PC). While typing the PM, I tweeted my question about using a Mac (the best Twitter manager) ... before I was even close to finishing my PM, I had several responses. So cool.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2010

I barely signed up for Twitter a few months ago, but was only on there once. I haven't quite gotten into it yet, but I definitely see the benefit all things like that can have. I'll hav to see if I remember how to long onto mine.

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2010

I keep trying twitter but have never really gotten into it. I like it but when I am in school I find I do not have the time for it but on my vacations (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Mardi Gras) I was on it constantly.

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 29, 2010

I had to learn to manage it. I check in once in the morning and once in the evening. If I miss a day or two, I don't worry about. Anything tweet-worthy will show up again if I missed it the first go around.

14. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2010

Do you go to Twitter itself or something like Tweetdeck?

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 29, 2010

I use Tweetdeck. Twitter's platform doesn't work with my brain.

16. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Mar 29, 2010

ku_alum

Who are your favorite educational tweeps? I've been looking for a good resource for a while and thought you might have some recommendations.

17. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 29, 2010

You can find teachers to follow from your content area here: http://twitter4teachers.pbworks.com/

If you want tech tools: @web20classroom
    If you want philsophical push: @tomwhitby

I also enjoy interacting with:
    HS principal: @NMHS_Principal
    School Tech Guy and teacher: @dmantz7
    Librarian: @hbraum
    Elem Teacher: @iteachgrade2

18. freetofly

freetofly Rookie

Mar 29, 2010

when used properly it can be a great thing !

19. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 29, 2010

I'm with MrsC... I actually had signed up for twitter during the Olympics... I was on it nonstop then... but it was the information I was looking for, not twitter exactly. Perhaps in the summer when I have more time, I'll look into it a little more.

20. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 29, 2010

Tweetdeck is wonderful; you can set it so you only get tweets from people you WANT to read up on. Plus you can set up a column only for certain hashtags; #edchat has its own column for me, as do all my business blogs and internet liason/watchdog work.

Turn off the sound, turn on Tweetdeck, and it will run all day. Every once in a while, look up and read something.

I love it.

And, if you want to follow me, on Twitter, and everywhere else, I'm @Mamacita.

Remember, too, that you can block anyone you don't want to read, and you don't have to follow everyone who follows you. Be selective.

21. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 29, 2010

Great pointers, Mamacita.
    For the people that have PM'ed me with questions, I've recommended Tweetdeck.

22. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Mar 30, 2010

Thank you! All of these are wonderful! I'll check out Twitter for Teachers later tonight!